Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Problem description: I randomly lose my internet connection, but LAN still works fine. My signal strength is excellent and I am only a short distance from the AP.

Attempted fixes: Wait 3-5 minutes and the problem usually resolves itself, but if I manually disable wi-fi on the computer, then re-enable it, internet immediately works again. Much quicker than waiting it out. I've rebooted my router and set a bunch of stuff back to factory settings. Still keeps happening usually every 20-30 minutes.

Recent changes: This only seemed to start happening when my ISP remotely updated the firmware on my modem/wifi router a few weeks ago. I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not. I can't know for sure when the update was rolled out.

--

Operating system: 2013 Macbook Pro w/ OSX 10.9.3

System specs: Built in wi-fi on the Macbook,. My modem/router combo is a Cisco DPC3825 provided by my ISP (Shaw)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Not much specific help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
It sounds like the access point may have some issues. I have a very similar issue with my wireless router. I ended up replacing it and the issue never happened again. Have you attempted to use your laptop anywhere else to rule the wireless card out? It sounds like the router is owned by the ISP. At this point I would call them and have them replace it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Does it happen on your phone or other devices? If it only happens on your laptop but a phone is fine that points to the problem being with that system, not the router.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It also seems to happen with my desktop PC using a Netgear WNA3100 USB wi-fi adapter, though not as frequent.

• Locked thread