Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

mcustic posted:

That whole movie is the most hosed up thing ever. Every scene gets me, the burned village elder, the church massacre, the raped girl in the marsh screaming at Flyora, even the execution of the quislings. But what really gets me is the final scene with the partisans crossing from winter into spring. It's kind of a hopeful moment, but you still know that even those that survive the war will probably get sent to the gulag for staying behind enemy lines.

That whole movie is just one long, horribly beautiful nightmare. This scene, though: http://youtu.be/AHJXfoQjIEQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

the last part of Shooting Dogs upsets me really bad. probably because it's real and filmed on location with survivors. just has a very powerful effect.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

El Boot posted:

That whole movie is just one long, horribly beautiful nightmare. This scene, though: http://youtu.be/AHJXfoQjIEQ

baby Hitler :3:

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

The two dogs swimming to the "Island" in Plague Dogs. Also the drowning at the beginning.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
The end of The Terminator when the now-fleshless endoskeleton rises from the flames. It was both suprising and a good payoff to the brief glimpses of machinery beneath its skin throughout the movie.

Fun fact I've read somewhere: That image is what James Cameron started with when he thought of the movie.

Eat to the Beat!
Feb 7, 2006
complacent and subdued
It doesn't really have as much impact when watched out of context, but the scene in The Life Aquatic where Ned dies always brings me to tears.

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
The whole scene where Bowman kills HAL then it plays the recording of whatshisfacefrom the beginning.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
the end of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford with the somber narration over Ford getting killed

Roy Batty's "Tears in the Rain" speech at the end of Blade Runner

i guess watching bad dudes die in ways that humanize them gets me choked up

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Morally Inept posted:

In Sixth Sense when Bruce Willis realizes he's one of the dead guys the boy sees. Up to that point I never realized it and even now it gives me goose bumps.

Also, the scene where the kid who sees dead people delivers the shoebox with the videotape to the grieving father, then he hangs out with the sister that's still alive outside

Rocky 1 montage

homercles fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 10, 2014

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
The scene in American History X when they start pulling all the posters off dude's wall.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009

Billy Jo Robidoux posted:

The two dogs swimming to the "Island" in Plague Dogs. Also the drowning at the beginning.

That whole loving movie

Also the scene in The Color Purple when Danny Glover separates the two sisters.

Erethizon_dorsatum fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 10, 2014

B Is For Razor
Jun 21, 2007
Frank reading the bookmark Karl makes him in Sling Blade.

The scene where April tries to explain what Thanksgiving is in (and the whole ending of) Pieces of April.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
Some were already mentioned here: the final shot in Unforgiven, Julianne Moore's sudden death in Children of Men. It's hard for me to watch that scene in Saving Private Ryan when Giovanni Ribisi is dying in the field calling out for his mother.

Also, the final scene of The Door in the Floor is really powerful, after you know about the terrible car accident and realize what the literal door in the floor represents.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

~*thumbs up*~ is pretty cool op

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

BLARGHLE posted:

Yeah, that whole scene actually makes a lot less sense this way...

How do you mean?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tace Vim posted:

The final pull-back shot in the original Solaris

Makes me wanna text her again

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So it sorta is animes but that doesn't matter because its a Studio Ghibli film. Grave of the Fireflies is hosed up the whole way through. Its based on a semi-autobiographical story of a boy and his younger sister who try to survive through the fire bombings by the Americans at the end of WW2. The end of the movie when the sister is slowly dying/when the brother deal with her death loving kill me. This whole movie is just sad and beautiful and crushing. I wouldnt watch more then a minute or two of this video unless you want to spoil yourself. http://youtu.be/DaxRBWQ0UmY

The whole movie is on YouTube too iirc.

E: Even Roger Ebert was of the opinion that its one of the best war films ever. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-grave-of-the-fireflies-1988

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 14, 2014

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
the ending of ico, from where you realize where the shadows come from, until the very last scene

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

butplug accident posted:

the ending of ico, from where you realize where the shadows come from, until the very last scene
The ending of Shadow of the Colossus, both when the horse dies, and when it turns up not dead after all but limping.

MaximusCraptaculous
Apr 20, 2008

If you mess this up, so help me GOD I will rip your balls off with my bare hands!
WITH MY BARE HANDS GOD DAMN YOU!!
That scene where the guy is eating chicken wings and they're so good he throws his head back then licks his fingers clean. Gets me every time.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
The scene where an entire region of the country was completely devastated by a storm, and then nothing happened except for more devastation

http://youtu.be/JHiqGqoIGII

It's the video for Rise Against's song "Help is on the Way", which should absolutely break anyone who lived through Katrina, even if they didn't have to hatchet their way out of a flooding attic(spoilers!).

I absolutely cannot watch this video without crying, even 9 years later, but I also have some business with this storm, so I may be biased...

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

How do you mean?

When we all thought it was the same German soldat, it spoke to the circle of life when Upham eventually killed him. If PVT Mellish's killer is just a random SS soldaten, then that injects an extra layer of nihilism into the already hosed up narrative of that entire battle.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he expectantly says "Upham" before Upham puts a .30 hole in his chest, and tells the rest of the group to get lost...I haven't seen the movie in a few years, so others are free to contradict me on this

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 16, 2014

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah them being two different soldiers make the whole thing make way less sense. I'd almost have to hear something from Spielberg rather than imdb trivia section on that one. There are so many reasons that it makes sense for them to be the same guy. Maybe he changed uniforms or something I don't know.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
https://vimeo.com/49613968

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
"I wonder if he remembers me?" - the life aquatic with Steve Zissou

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

the German who stabs the dude isnt the prisoner from earlier its a different guy. he doesnt kill oppam afterwards because hes pathetic to the point he just stood there with a gun while the guy slowly stabbed his friend to death.

after the american reinforcements show up when everyones dead oppam stands up out of the hole hes hiding in with the drop on the german squad with the prisoner from earlier in it. he tries to appeal to him and calls him by name but oppam now harded by the horrors of war shoots him and lets the rest run away. it probably would make more sense if it was the same guy but i guess spielberg thought otherwise.

i hate oppams character. he has the blue and grey patch of the 29th division on his shoulder. my grandfather was in the 29th and took me to a bunch of his meetings/parties with his buddies from the war at the fifth regiment armory when i was a kid. the 29th was in the vanguard that landed on omaha and those dudes are (were :( ) awesome.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

That sounds better. It would have been less confusing if the guys didn't look so much alike. Next time I watch it I'm going to actually pay attention I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The setup of Carl and Ellie's relationship and life together in Up.

• Locked thread