Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It had everything, great soundtrack, you could throw molotovs, build a tesla gun, ride a train, run around naked for your master pickpocket quest. It was the tits, and Chris Avellone is a scrub for being poo poo at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Agreed. People are probably going to come in here soon and say how Magic was overpowered and Tech was too hard, but they're just little bitches who can't play.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Troika was pretty great.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Pope Guilty posted:

Troika was pretty great.

yeah so great they got canned lmao

sry but if u wanna roll with the big dogs u gotta step up ur game or forever be in the shadow of legends like gearbox software and ubisoft and ea games

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yeah, it was pretty great.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

i tried to play it once, and only got like 30 minutes in before quitting. i love fallout 2, so i'm not sure why; the start of arcanum can't be nearly as bad. i should probably try again

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i liked it a lot, it was especially fun to play a thief

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
it was good op, and the convoluted-rear end quest to get godlike powers from the All-Father was really cool & good.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

I was never able to get into it, probably because I was expecting something that the game wasn't. One of these days I'll have to find a copy of the game and give it another shot.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
*furiously clicks w/ pain*

Dec 26, 2012

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Agreed. People are probably going to come in here soon and say how Magic was overpowered and Tech was too hard, but they're just little bitches who can't play.

tech is not hard just make a shitload of molotovs and level throwing

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Tech is less powerful than magic, but for me it's much more fun to play.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
nah... it sucked

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

It had everything, great soundtrack, you could throw molotovs, build a tesla gun, ride a train, run around naked for your master pickpocket quest. It was the tits, and Chris Avellone is a scrub for being poo poo at it.

Nah, it doesn't have good combat, which is a problem when there's unavoidable combat in the game. Chris Avellone really shouldn't have been fighting so much with a social character though.

Apart from that it's a good game with a unique setting and great atmosphere.

e: love that avatar, thanks whoever bought it!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

It was good until your save were to inevitably get corrupted 3/4 into the game.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
i liked arcanum too

hey i like you guys

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Blackdog420 posted:

i liked arcanum too

hey i like you guys

welcome

i like arcanum's critical misses

*swings quarterstaff, misses dog, throws it off into the distance*

Dec 26, 2012

critical misses were terrible

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
it was almost great imo but the balance just wasn't there. still worth going through for the cool setting/dialogue and tech characters are at least conceptually pretty cool since you're basically a raccoon digging through trash cans all the time.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I didn't like Bloodlines as much as everyone else seems to either, kinda have the exact same opinion as I do about Arcanum, except IIRC Arcanum doesn't have a last act as lame as Bloodlines'

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
ToEE is great though and is the D&D simulation that CRPGs always deserved

Dec 26, 2012

bloodlines is fine until the final bit, arcanum is a mechanical trainwreck from the word go

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

ToEE is great though and is the D&D simulation that CRPGs always deserved

ToEE really felt like D&D, to an almost annoying degree.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

01011001 posted:

bloodlines is fine until the final bit, arcanum is a mechanical trainwreck from the word go

the sewer portion is pretty rough too but otherwise bloodlines was good with fan patches

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like getting the dog as soon as possible so it can bite things to death for me because it counts as a Master rank fighter for some reason.

Dec 26, 2012

Benny D posted:

the sewer portion is pretty rough too but otherwise bloodlines was good with fan patches

when i say the final bit i really mean the sewer onward, chinatown is pretty balls

SunAndSpring posted:

I like getting the dog as soon as possible so it can bite things to death for me because it counts as a Master rank fighter for some reason.

i remember being very surprised the first time i saw the dog just fuckin gib a dude

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Dog being able to bite someone clean in half is pretty fuckin ace.

Arcanum was great because it was steampunk before all the horrible "alt" subcultures got ahold of it and turned it into another Burning Man outfit style.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I don't understand steampunk. Regular punk has you rebel against regular governments and corporations. Cyberpunk has you rebel against megacorporations who are the government. What do you rebel against in steampunk? People who want you to use gasoline instead of steam?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Isn't this game anti-semetic or something?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't understand steampunk. Regular punk has you rebel against regular governments and corporations. Cyberpunk has you rebel against megacorporations who are the government. What do you rebel against in steampunk? People who want you to use gasoline instead of steam?

victorian english mores? that's what i got from watching steamboy

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Generally the punk in steampunk comes from like semi environmentalist stuff. Think megacorporations in cyberpunk, but instead of obsessing over ruling the world, they're obsessed with coring planets. Also mad scientist aristocracies.

e: Basically steampunk villains are the baby versions of cyberpunk megacorps. The populace hasn't realized they're being experimented on or w/e but still has a chance to figure it out, whereas in cyberpunk people are too busy holodecking all the time to realize they're being exploited in "meat space"

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
can we just get a regular punk rpg?

vtmb is the closest i can think of but thats goth although i wouldnt mind more goth rpgs either

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I believe people when they say Arcanum is a good game but I gotta say it has the worst user interface I have ever seen and that makes it really hard to get into

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

I believe people when they say Arcanum is a good game but I gotta say it has the worst user interface I have ever seen and that makes it really hard to get into

In practice it's barely worse than your Baldur's Gates or what have you

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

better than fallout 1 & 2

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

In practice it's barely worse than your Baldur's Gates or what have you

That's pretty bad

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

better than fallout 1 & 2

I disagree, but it's not by a big enough difference to be worth arguing about

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wish technologist runs didn't cost me so many skill points. Like, drat, mages only have to spend 5 points on their poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

fadam posted:

Isn't this game anti-semetic or something?

Gnomes run the IMF.

(That was a good sidequest chain.)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

I wish technologist runs didn't cost me so many skill points. Like, drat, mages only have to spend 5 points on their poo poo.

And there isn't enough to craft to justify it. Maybe a few good things way down the tech tree that require a ton of rare or expensive parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

Tech is less powerful than magic, but for me it's much more fun to play.
*mashes space as a rock monster chases me around a stalactite for ten minutes*

• Locked thread