Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You are correct. We should get the OPs updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I also support the Lazyfire recommendations. It's a really comprehensive look at the new games plus he's a good player, so he makes it look easy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Goatse.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably not specifically what you're looking for in terms of "being good at the game" (:v:), but at least it's entertaining.

Hey! I beat that campaign on Hard while letting goons make all the strategic decisions!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dragonatrix did a solid one of Shin Megami Tensei 1. I don't think it's archived, but here's the forum thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387580

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh, whoops, I read that too quickly and missed the "video" part. My bad!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dancer posted:

Since text IF is such a rare thing to be LP'd, I will dare to bend a rule by mentioning my own things.

Ehhh, I'll allow it this time--there is a dearth of IF LPs. We really don't want this thread to become a place for people to plug their own stuff, though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If you want glitchy and funny, check out Putty's Skyrim Modding 101 thread. There's no story--he's not bothering to go through the campaign--but he does slog through a whole bunch of absolutely horrible, no good mods for the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
long live the new blood

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Unlike the Something Awful forums, a bastion of normalcy and civilized discourse.

this but ironnically

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bewilderment posted:

I got a hankering for really fun competent playthroughs of shooters. Any recommendations out there?

Anything by Lazyfire. His Red Faction and Wolfenstein LPs are my favourite. Republic Commando was good too. Oh his FEAR LPs are rad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, good news for anyone who, for some reason, actually likes watching the Killzone franchise:

there is a non-zero chance that there will be a new Killzone LP in the future

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheDarkFlame posted:

What? You guys have a new LP? And it's... oh god

Oh yeah, speaking of, anyone after a good FPS LP, make sure you watch Kaubocks and Panzer's Half-Life

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I have been gone a long time. What's the general top 10 must see LP's of all time? Have they changed much from the initial thread post?

The OP could perhaps do with some updating...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
at this point it's almost a tradition for people to miss the banner and have it be pointed out to them. i hope Baldurk never changes it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fiendly posted:

This breaks rules 2 and 5 of this thread, but I'll second the recommendation anyway.

ha, it's fine. the OP is four years old and is probably due for an update.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This subforum is pretty awesome and I like posting here because of the people that inhabit it. Just saying, you're all great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Skwirl posted:

I do think if someone says "are there any good lp's of X ?" people should be able to say "I did/am currently doing an lp of X ." And provide a link to either a thread or youtube channel.

To clarify, that's what the loosening of the rule is going to allow. But goodness, I'd recommend waiting a bit at least! It always feels good when someone else recommends your LP--if it doesn't get brought up, then of course mention it.

It's the apropos of nothing and spamming self-promotion things we will continue to enforce, as crow said.

Sally fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 7, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ahh that's too bad. it didnt get archived either

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

malkav11 posted:

What would people recommend as far as completed, informative LPs of Bloodborne and Dark Souls III? (with DLC, ideally). I watched Slowbeef's blind run of Bloodborne and Dazzling Addar's blind run of DSIII, so I've seen the games, but I'd like to see all the little tricks and secrets and stuff and maybe have a better idea of what's going on from a lore perspective. (Also, Addar didn't do the DLC for DSIII, it having not come out at the time, so that'll be new.)

SA LPs preferred, of course, but offsite is fine as long as they don't do poo poo like facecams or leaving the Twitch chat on-camera, etc.

CJacobs doing Bloodborne is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Pzx_ihARU

He is good at playing the game and really digs into the background within the game itself and other games in the series.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Coolguye posted:

yeah jade's a pro click for xcom for double sure.

jade star and guava moment both rock those LPs. check'em out for sure

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

anilEhilated posted:

It's, uh, not against rules anymore, is it?

:hai:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's hard. on one hand, i absolutely understand that at some point you need to just not care and :justpost:

however, i've also done LPs where very few people have watched or commented on them and it's very disheartening. i mean, if NO ONE is watching the LP, then why bother? but then also, LP as if no one is watching, right? there's a balance that is hard to strike.

that said, Metro 2033 and Alien: Isolation are both awesome and if you're worried about being able to carry the commentary solo, you could always solicit people on the forum for backup. Random goon commentators sometimes work. Though sometimes they don't. But we do have a dedicated thread to finding such back up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
point still stands. hire a ghost writer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Skwirl posted:

I think the rules on that got relaxed enough that if someone asks for a specific game you're allowed to say you did one. The no self promotion thing is more like when someone says "any funny JRPG screenshot LPs" you shouldn't chime in with "here's my hilarious LP of Final Fantasy 27 that I do completely in character as a bird."

:yeah:

This is a thing that happened. The OP's rules have even been updated to reflect that:

"Do not recommend/plug your thread or one that you are guesting in unprompted. This is probatable, bear in mind. This is not the self-promotion thread. However, if someone puts in a recommendation request for an LP and you sincerely believe that an LP you've done or are working on would fit the bill for it, you are free to suggest it. Abuse of this loophole will result in a probation, however."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Doc M posted:

https://archive.org/details/LP_Paper_Mario

There has to be a way to make that banner stand out more.

honestly, i've seen people miss the banner so often ( myself included ) that it's now just kind of a welcome experience whenever it happens. it's like sitting by a window, drinking hot chocolate, and watching the rain fall. it's like welcoming back an old friend. it's like booting up Chrono Trigger for the 40th time.

:unsmith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Princey posted:

Try the Pokemon Reborn thread and marvel over the Saga of Moving One Rock.

yeah, seconding this

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Looking for a thread I thought I'd bookmarked but can no longer find. It was one of the first nuDoom LPs on the subforum. It was a pretty casual affair but I shamefully can't remember the name of the OP. I do remember that Lazyfire was one of the cocommentators.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alexeythegreat posted:

No, it's gotta be this

yeah it was this one. thanks! though i did miss yours when it was running so now i'm gonna check it out as well!

rip and tear

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FluxFaun posted:

So besides all the wonderful chill LPs in the OP, are there any LPs of games that are more like podcasts than anything else? I'm needing something to put on in the background while I work.

I was thinkin' it might time to update the OP's list, too. Geop did that up 4 years ago...

So:
Anyone have suggestions for "timeless" LPs that should perhaps be in a general recommendation list?

EDIT: and if you could give the reason why they're worth checking out, that'd be super rad!!

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 8, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, man, I suppose I should also ask if people could give a reason for their recommendation as well. I'm familiar with some of the LPs and could probably bumble my way through them, but if you're recommending one, it's best if you could give the reason why it's worth checking it out. y'know: sell it. like the blurbs in the OP posts.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
2nd Cjacobs Evol Within

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Panzer skank's OFF LP is extremely good and got me to try out the game myself. It's also defintely got that horrorific vibe LISA hits... though it lacks the humour. it's a solid game though

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

senrath posted:

"Gamers are entitled whiners if they don't appreciate literally all games."

They have a lot of pretty heavy real life things on their plate at the moment. This came from a place of anger and GASN did regret saying it. The forums were an additional stressor that GASN did not want or need at this time so they asked me to ban their account. If they want back when things are better, I told them to contact me for a ban reversal. In the meantime, I hope they take care of themselves.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The thread was interesting because crow didn't ease into calling out its absurdity. It was also one of his first LPs so he was a bit of an unknown and a lot of people didn't know what to expect. There's was a bit of incredulity as to whether or not it would get as bad as he promised and some even called him out for being unnecessarily harsh. So the best thing was that slowly, inexorably, everyone in the thread came over to the side of "holy poo poo what the gently caress is this Level 5 why is it so bad and why is leonard so dumb".

We also had some early plans to do commentated gameplay videos but it wound up being so tedious that we wisely canned it. crow skipped a TONNE of tedious bullshit in order to make the game more accessible than it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
crow do the PSP WKC game instead.