Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chokes McGee posted:

Pretty much anything The Dark Id does is instant gold, and you can't go wrong with it. You will find at least one phrase per LP ("RIP AND TEAR", "Not featured: A clock tower", etc.) that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

I believe that the "RIP AND TEAR" was a reference to the Doom Comic. If you've never seen that, you're in for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You forgot to mention that they've stolen a bus.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

I believe it's been mentioned here before (can't find it with a cursory search), but TheMcD just finished his LP of Unterwegs in Düsterburg. For those who are unfamiliar, it's a hidden gem from the German RPG Maker fancircles. Also, since the game was written in German, TheMcD's translated all dialogue into English (along with the occasional :eng101: notes on various nuances).

I'll second this. It's a really fantastic game that you wouldn't know about unless you speak German.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's not quite finished, but nine gear crow's White Knight Chronicles is a brilliantly done piss take on a game that could've been fantastic but instead failed on almost every conceivable level. The level of effort he's put into it is ridiculous, and you should be reading it.

Skip to the first update, though. The character list has some pretty massive spoilers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You've seen LPers break games before, but you probably haven't seen a game break an LPer. MassRafter is doing Superman 64, and it's amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dazzling Addar posted:

The Legie LP felt like one of the best applications of the medium in recent memory, at least to me. Super obscure game from a country not really known for its video game output to begin with that's weird and clunky but really funny and genuinely worthwhile. Definitely a memorable thread!

And for as much fun as it is to watch, there's no way in hell that you'd want to actually play it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know about phone-friendly, but here are some of the better SSLPs of RPGs that I've seen:

Exit Fate
Last Scenario
The Legend of Dragoon
OFF
Lunar: The Silver Star
Lunar: Eternal Blue
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chokes also did an excellent LP of the first Final Fantasy Legend, which is on the archive.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Speaking of RPG LPs and the guy above me, I recommend http://lparchive.org/Unterwegs-in-Duesterburg/

Seconded.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm going to add a recommendation for ddegenha's ongoing Illusion of Gaia LP. It's an obscure mid-90s SNES action RPG which I think is best summed up with this quote:

RabidWeasel posted:

What the gently caress how did NOA pass this as acceptable? :psyduck:
Seriously, there's some stuff in here that would not be out of place in a Drakengard game. Go check it out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

mkob is doing God Hand, which you should watch for two reasons:
  1. It's God Hand.
  2. He's insanely good at it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, WKC is a good choice. It's not as bad as Lunar: Dragon Song, but that's a pretty high bar to clear.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Dave Gilbert jumped into the thread to answer questions in cmndstab's LPs of the entire Blackwell series.

http://lparchive.org/The-Blackwell-Series/

This was a really good LP even before the creator showed up, so it's worth a read.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

nine-gear crow's White Knight Chronicles was a really great analysis of a game that could've been really cool if the production team had been competent. We spent a lot of time in the thread discussing how it could be better, but I don't know how much of that is visible in the Archive.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

His style is impetuous, and his defenses are impregnable. He's Alexander the Great.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

God Hand isn't bullshit hard, but it's pretty tough, and mkob might be the best player out there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Allstone posted:

I've just read The Dark Id's LP of Drakenguard and I've got a hankering, so can anyone recommend me some good LPs of bafflingly/humorously bad games? Either screenshot or video is fine

Drakengard 3 by the same guy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Let's Break Final Fantasy VI is a pretty good screenshot LP that goes into good detail about how exactly it's snapping its chosen game in half.

That'd be my top choice too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dr Pepper's low-level run of Final Fantasy V might be up your alley.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TDI's Drakengard 3 LP has all the highlights in video form even though it's an SSLP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sternieliscious is running an LP of Radiata Stories that's worth checking out if you haven't already.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Drakengard 3
OFF

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you haven't seen it, Roar's LP of Doki Doki Literature Club is worth checking out. An actual endorsement from the thread:

quote:

Also, credit to Roar for bringing this hidden gem to my attention, because it got me to play through it blind and...well. I'm definitely...well "glad" isn't a good word in this situation but I do appreciate that I got to experience that blind for sure.
Just be aware that the content warning at the beginning of the game is very very serious.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

I also recently finished reading White Knight Chronicles and I really need a jrpg where the heroes are actually competent. Leonard's failure needs to be washed away. Please.

It's been a while since I read it, but I think Last Scenario qualifies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

In addition to the above there's always Radiant Historia.

Oh yeah, this is a solid recommendation.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Level 1 Thief posted:

supergreatfriend on Deadly Premonition comes immediately to mind if you haven't seen it. That game is kind of the gold standard for "interesting but not necessarily good." It's downright captivating.

This is a high-quality LP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

IGgy IGsen is doing an LP of Celeste that's worth watching.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of which, what are some good LPs that involve characters or other creatures being hit by a bus?

You mean in the game?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I really enjoyed FrankZP's take on Dragon Warrior. He's doing the sequel right now as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

My only contention with that one (and Id would be the first one to agree with me, I bet) is that it really shows its age with the amount of mean spirited gay jokes in it. Drakengard was the LP that put Id on the map, and it was fantastic over all, but he's really matured in the decade since them.

I don't have the tweet handy, but at some point in the past year or so, Id called his past self out for the writing there.

I guess that means we need a new Drakengard LP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Blink tags.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

IGgy IGsen did a good one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Occultatio posted:

So if I've really enjoyed Agent355's La-Mulana LPs, Highwang's Hollow Knight and Smite's Environmental Station Alpha, what are other good ones I should check out in a similar vein? I'm basically looking for knowledgeable, completionist playthroughs of puzzle-y (or at least secret-filled) metroidvanias/exploration games.

Do you have links for those?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Huh. That's at least original.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

crow do the PSP WKC game instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You should be reading TheMcD's LP of The Closer. It's something really magical.