Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

I would like to plug SelenicMartian's Blackstone Chronicles VLP.

If you're down for some atmospheric horror that doesn't use any cheap tricks to get scares, this is a home run. Our protagonist finds himself in an old asylum that is in the process of being turned into a museum in search of his abducted son, and he has many run-ins with the wonderful world of old psychiatric treatment. And it is downright horrifying, thanks in part to some excellent voice acting.

Come on in to Blackstone Asylum and let the wonderful world of medicinal history wash over you. It's a lot more thrilling than it might sound.

Well I'm sold. Thanks for the rec!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I've just read The Dark Id's LP of Drakenguard and I've got a hankering, so can anyone recommend me some good LPs of bafflingly/humorously bad games? Either screenshot or video is fine

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tietuesday's Sonic Boom thing is pretty good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Allstone posted:

I've just read The Dark Id's LP of Drakenguard and I've got a hankering, so can anyone recommend me some good LPs of bafflingly/humorously bad games? Either screenshot or video is fine

Retsupurae have done quite a few. Darkseed 2 is especially worth watching. I also enjoyed Harvester, Hopkins FBI and Afterfall: Insanity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Darkseed 2 is especially humorous because they seem to have found a comprehensive 100% run of the game in which the person playing talks to absolutely everybody after every game state change, just in case there's new dialogue (hence why there are 34 out of 32 parts).

Most of the time, there is not.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Afterfall: Insanity is such a beautiful atrocity of a game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Allstone posted:

How about more from The Dark Id? Drakengard 2 is even worse, Dirge of Cerberus is a pretty terrible sequel that ruins most of the goodwill it has from being a FF7 sequel, and of course there's Limbo of the Lost, one of the worst and most baffling games I've ever seen.

I'm also a big fan of Quovak's LP of the first two Golden Sun games where he really goes into detail on just how terrible those two games are.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Allstone posted:

White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2

It is both bafflingly and humourously bad.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Allstone posted:

Drakengard 3 by the same guy.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
We have an entire Bad Games Thread for your needs

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Edmond Dantes posted:

Two quick ones:

Any recommended Sniper Elite v3 lp's? I vaguely remember there was one of v2 somewhere but I'm not entirely sure it was on-site; can't find anything on the master list. If the lper is good at sniping even better, but I'll take a good lp of a not-so-good player.

I asked about 4X games a few pages back and people recommended Aavak which I've been checking, but he doesn't have anything on Endless Legend, and after I started reading Speeball's EL run I was wondering if there was anything along the lines of "let's learn" Endless Legend; I have it wishlisted for the summer sale and I'd love to get some guides.

Any suggestion on these? Sorry for the self-quote.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Allstone posted:

I've always been fond of Bacter's LP of Bureau 13, too.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Allstone posted:

I've been watching some Retsupurae's also and if you want really bafflingly bad games, I find these weird old flashgames hilarious. I don't know what they were supposed to be and you won't either!

Edit: Also, TDI's lp of Resident Evil 0 is worth your time if you haven't read it yet.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 12, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much anyone's take on Sonic 06. It's been done like six times but the game always breaks in new and unexpected ways.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Who does a good Telltale Walking Dead LP? I'm jazzed for season 3 and I'd like to catch up.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Caedus posted:

Who does a good Telltale Walking Dead LP? I'm jazzed for season 3 and I'd like to catch up.

Well,the Super Best Friends ones are pretty funny. Warning:lots of Kenny bashing and boat memes for some reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Season 1 LP is great, but the Season 2 one is one of the worst LPs on their channel imo. They ignore the story context clues the game hand-feeds them because they're so incredibly laser-focused on their hatred for Kenny that it gets other characters killed due to ignoring what's happening to poo poo on him more than once.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The Season 1 LP is great, but the Season 2 one is one of the worst LPs on their channel imo. They ignore the story context clues the game hand-feeds them because they're so incredibly laser-focused on their hatred for Kenny that it gets other characters killed due to ignoring what's happening to poo poo on him more than once.

Then again,most of the season 2 cast were either unlikable assholes or boring,so I don't mind,personally.

Anyhoo,anyone know of a COMPETENT LP of the new Hitman? It's all poo poo like Jacksepticeye's run-bumbling around like a moron.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

VolticSurge posted:

Then again,most of the season 2 cast were either unlikable assholes or boring,so I don't mind,personally.

Anyhoo,anyone know of a COMPETENT LP of the new Hitman? It's all poo poo like Jacksepticeye's run-bumbling around like a moron.

Many A True Nerd's videos of the new Hitman aren't pretty decent.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Can anyone suggest a decent play through of the new Doom? Would love to see it as I'm travelling and won't be able to play it for about a year :(

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
When it comes to Hitman, I always go to my man Zevik. He always plays on the highest difficulty, doesn't provide commentary so you can just enjoy the music and the sound design, and he doesn't show any screw-ups so you can just watch a nice flawless run of each of the Hitman games in the highest quality, both visually and gameplay-wise. I don't think he's done the newest release yet, though.

I have a question of my own, though. Out of the three Skyward Sword LPs, which do you guys think I should watch? I tried watching Thornbrain, but that co-commentator was so obnoxious that I didn't really want to continue. But if it's the only one that tries to show off everything in the game, then I can stomach it if I have to.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

AMReese posted:

When it comes to Hitman, I always go to my man Zevik. He always plays on the highest difficulty, doesn't provide commentary so you can just enjoy the music and the sound design, and he doesn't show any screw-ups so you can just watch a nice flawless run of each of the Hitman games in the highest quality, both visually and gameplay-wise. I don't think he's done the newest release yet, though.

I have a question of my own, though. Out of the three Skyward Sword LPs, which do you guys think I should watch? I tried watching Thornbrain, but that co-commentator was so obnoxious that I didn't really want to continue. But if it's the only one that tries to show off everything in the game, then I can stomach it if I have to.
JordanKai's is the way to go.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks, I appreciate it. JordanKai is already doing more than ThornBrain did by talking to all the NPCs, so I'm enjoying it more. That, and the two are pretty funny.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FicusArt posted:

Many A True Nerd's videos of the new Hitman aren't pretty decent.

I notice how you said aren't. This is true, because the guy prattles on inanely and endlessly completely disrupting his own LP and just annoying the poo poo out of me. Decent game, terrible terrible LP-er.

I'll wait for that Zevik dude.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno if it's that bad, but he certainly doesn't stop to let the game breathe, that's for sure.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CJacobs posted:

I dunno if it's that bad, but he certainly doesn't stop to let the game breathe, that's for sure.

That's a good way of putting it. I'll watch him occasionally; he's alright in small doses, especially for games he knows a lot about (Fallout, any) but he does seem to have this phobia of dead air that results in him babbling about anything he can think of instead of just letting a game stand on it's own for a bit.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'll wait for that Zevik dude.
In the meantime, you should watch his past playthroughs of the other Hitman games. They're a good indicator of the kind of work he puts into each stage of the game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheMcD posted:

I would like to plug SelenicMartian's Blackstone Chronicles VLP.

If you're down for some atmospheric horror that doesn't use any cheap tricks to get scares, this is a home run. Our protagonist finds himself in an old asylum that is in the process of being turned into a museum in search of his abducted son, and he has many run-ins with the wonderful world of old psychiatric treatment. And it is downright horrifying, thanks in part to some excellent voice acting.

I'd like to second this, especially since it's just finished. It easily deserves to be called a horror game, and all without the ghosties and ghoulies you'd see in the likes of Amnesia and Outlast. Not to say those are bad games, mind you, but Blackstone's horror doesn't come from the ghosts haunting the asylum.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Which Metroid Prime LP was slowbeef doing where his co-commentators told him there are no Metroids in the game?

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

The only Metroid game that doesn't have Metroids at all is Metroid Prime: Hunters, and I'm pretty sure he never did an LP of that. So, I'm guessing you're looking for one where they lied to him to get a reaction, and I have no idea. Sorry.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

RareAcumen posted:

Which Metroid Prime LP was slowbeef doing where his co-commentators told him there are no Metroids in the game?

The second one. Ten minutes later beef calls him out for his lied.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

The second one. Ten minutes later beef calls him out for his lied.

16:40 in episode seven, it turns out. Thanks for narrowing the search down!

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

CJacobs posted:

That's a shame. I played season 1 and Kenny was my bro. I was looking for season 2 onward.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I am on an Invisible Inc high right now and Bifauxnen's so-far-quite-satisfactory thread is just getting started. I need some LP fixes now and I'm prepared to brave YouTube to get it. I checked out Keith Ballard's series because I liked his Witness playthrough but sadly it turns out he really likes reading text and also is kinda hair-tearingly unobservant sometimes (six secondary server terminals observed, remarked upon, hacked, then completely ignored). Got any better?

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I know that Feinne did an LP of Hyperdimension Neptunia a while back, but I was curious if there's a good LP around of the remake for Vita/PC. Preferably informative.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Any good recent Dwarf Fortress LP's? It doesn't have to be on site, and even video is fine. I reread through the old great SA ones and now need something to fill in that hole.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

You've read Matul Remrit, right?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Does anyone know a competent LP of Xenonauts? I want to give the game a chance,but all of the LPs I've seen involve flailing like a moron.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

VolticSurge posted:

Does anyone know a competent LP of Xenonauts? I want to give the game a chance,but all of the LPs I've seen involve flailing like a moron.

Try this one by Scott Manley. He's well-spoken, intelligent, and not obsessed with himself. He IS obsessed with astronomy (and is a real-life astronomer) so expect him to use correct terminology for everything space-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

Try this one by Scott Manley. He's well-spoken, intelligent, and not obsessed with himself. He IS obsessed with astronomy (and is a real-life astronomer) so expect him to use correct terminology for everything space-related.

Scott's good people. As a warning, though, he's not particularly good at anything he plays. Except Kerbal Space Program, where he is godlike. One time, he put a ship into orbit without looking at the screen. Just used his DJing skills to get the timing right.

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 25, 2016