Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mush Man posted:

Is this list supposed to cut down on repeated recommendations? Just on this page there were some recommendations for an LP already on the list which doesn't seem very helpful. I imagine that might happen more often as times goes on.
Also, shouldn't this thread be used more to highlight threads and authors which don't have a large following already? It seems wasteful that LP's that already receive a lot of traffic are given a lot of attention here.

Many people making recommendations probably haven't read the list since they read the last one. That being said, yeah, the general idea is to highlight those threads that don't get a lot of love. There are some "classics" like Trespasser and everything else that are generally recognized as high quality and people probably want to make sure OH MAN HAVE YOU SEEN THIS poo poo and others may mention "yo man I know you like (popular LPer) did you know he's doing (maybe niche maybe well known game)? gently caress yeah".

Personally I've got a love-hate relationship with the old CYOA books, JosephWongKS just started up Armies of Death taking goon input for choices. It ends predictably. Predictably meaning that the goons aren't intentionally loving up every choice, these books basically just hate their readers.

JordanKai just started up Wario Land: Shake It which is shaping up to be an excellent game. Having played every Wario game except for Virtual Boy, Gamecube, and Master of Disguise (never had a virtualboy or gamecube, heard bad things about disguise), I've always adored the greedy son of a bitch and now I get to see a game I missed out on AND MIGHT PICK UP LATER.

By the same token, SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE MENTIONED IT but Bobbin Threadbare is doing a great LP of Deus Ex. I always feel like I missed out on Deus Ex because I came to the game a while after it had passed its heyday. I can appreciate a lot of the gameplay decisions and a lot of the story, but I can't get into it myself. It's nice to see what all the game has to offer, and all his educational asides on history, science, literature, and (especially) conspiracy theories (love that poo poo) are fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Teledahn posted:

Well, let's see here, you've got a few things going for you:
  • You know how to use punctuation.
  • You actually use said punctuation.
  • You didn't post immediately after registering.
  • No catchphrases or silly internet jabber.

Congrats! You're better than most new arrivals, at least the visible ones that post immediately and don't know what's going on. Sadly, your recommendation sounds like precisely the sort of LPer that is not quite entirely appreciated fully in these parts and thereby shows a lack of awareness of the sub-forum environment. Hence my suggestion.

This is all not to say that you cannot become a respected member of the community, (Note, there are no respected members, only those slightly less made-fun-of.) with time and taking a look around here or there you can come to appreciate all SA has to offer. (This is perhaps the most important point, there's a huge amount of content here, venture beyond LP to see.)

Making fun of those new folk that just registered and cannot seem to wait to post is something of a tradition around here, explaining the vaguely insulting list above and perhaps somewhat unhelpful initial reply. No terribly hard feelings.

Go forth and read.
:goonsay:

We've had a section here for off-site LPs before, so I'm pretty sure it fits just as well. A character insert VLP of Persona 4 isn't my thing but maybe it works for someone else, if you aren't able to get into either one of the well done screenshot LPs. Dogpile on the newbie just sounds like elitist bullshit.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

silversatyr posted:

o7
^.^
^.^)b

If you're actually looking for posting etiquette here, this is bullshit and this is the sort of thing that will get you dogpiled on. So just. Y'know. Keep the decent posting, get rid of the silly emoticons. We don't actually care what gender you are or how emoticonny you're feeling. Just make quality posts. Hope this helps.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

If you're willing to go there, there's always Khad versus Penumbra. Not saying you'd like it, but it sure as hell ain't scary.

Khad never took the scary games seriously whatsoever I think. I remember seeing the Cryostasis bit he did here. It was like a descent into madness, and also awful.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i dont want to seem vain... but my lp is very good

Geop posted:

1) Do not recommend/plug your thread or one that you are guesting in. This is probatable, bear in mind. This thread is NOT for plugging your thread; it's for people to suggest LPs which may have fallen by the wayside in the archives, or an ongoing one which is very good. Bottom line? Don't mention your thread.

Nice.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

THE PENETRATOR posted:

dscruffy1 you seem like a real buzzkill. you seem like a guy who isnt fun to be around. you seem like a big loser. you seem like you suck.

It's true. These are all things. Also you seem kinda vain a little bit.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

kalonZombie posted:

Are there any LPs of the first Devil May Cry that are like Chip Cheezum's Revengance or Wonderful 101 LPs, where they know the combat very thoroughly and explain it? I'm playing the game myself and I'd like some hints on what moves are a priority to buy, what moves are useful against certain enemies, etc etc.

Granted it's been some time since I watched it so I don't know if it's got the detail you want, but Accounting Nightmare did one back in 2007 that I remember being pretty impressed by.

http://lparchive.org/Devil-May-Cry/

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ally_1986 posted:

Does anyone have a link to The Man with a Hats LP of the first Batman game? All the links in his thread are deleted and its not on the lparchive.

Have any other good LPers moved to there own sites? I know Chip & Ironicus have their own site but they still have threads here too.

Cheers

I don't think his got archived at all for some reason or other. Removed by his request maybe? Either way, to the best of my knowledge it's gone. Which is a shame because it was pretty good!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

DrLaserfalcon posted:

Editorializing on a recent Markiplier LP in which he plays Dream.exe, a game designed around his own life as a prominent YouTuber:

via YouTuber Review

Keep your dumb poo poo to your own dumb poo poo thread where we are all eagerly awaiting your response to the many questions posed.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

A fate too merciful for the frolf estate.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

DrLaserfalcon posted:

Feel free to rehash any questions/snarks you included in the original thread, scruffster. I never got to read them.

I wish I could say the same about your articles. Luckily I won't have to rehash here you go.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I was probably going to try out God Hand after I finished up the one I'm on but yeah this dude's quite legit. He's really good and he's not using cheesy moves either. Basically anything I would put up as far as gameplay goes pales in comparison to a huge extent. poo poo. My defense is pregnable and my style is quite petuous.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Niggurath posted:

Nope, there are not. All LP'ers live forever.

You either go out LPing a hero or live long enough to see yourself become DeceasedCrab.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

my dog boyfriend!! posted:

Anybody got a link to the Chaos Mode one?

Right here baby.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I know I mentioned it before somewhere else but things don't automatically make the transition from the LP Archive to the Internet Archive. Seems like the last time something was added to the Internet Archive was October 2013, so anything after that which loses its videos somewhere is pretty much out of luck.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I heard his Dark Souls LP was more popular than Geop's, and so he was exiled.

Some say the game itself couldn't stand being clowned on and infected his computer with JAIDS.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

What are good let's players to follow right now?

LPers are like love. You don't look for one that's perfect every way, it's not there. You just look for one that that you can put up with most of the time.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, is there any LPs of Just Cause 1 and or 2? I wanna see a dashing hispanic murder his way through a small country.

I haven't seen one which surprises me. There might have been one for JC1 a few years back but I don't recall it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

Who's C and I?

Chip and Ironicus, probably.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

Anybody know people good for:

Amnesia and
Alien Isolation

TomViolence did a pretty classy run of Alien here on the forums. I think it's still ongoing but the main story has been finished.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

TozmaT posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the videos from this (fantastic) Disaster: Day of Crisis LP? I somehow didn't notice the thread til a while after it closed and only managed to get about halfway in before the youtube links all died for some reason. I didn't see it on the archive; does it still exist or am I out of luck?

It was on the archive for a while but it seems to have been removed, possibly at Niggurath's request.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Dongattack posted:

Anyone got a good offsite LP for Until Dawn that's not about facecams and screaming? Ideally still a first playthrough tho.

Two Best Friends did a pretty good run of it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

PopcornSuicide posted:

Would anybody happen to know if there are any decent demon's souls VLPs floating around? Would prefer a skilled play through.

There was Squint's old LP which had a few guest runs, including a punchyfist run.

TheWanderingNewbie did a newer one that had online co-op and a few other online features that weren't in Squint's LP.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Revitalized posted:

Any recent horror game LPs that use text commentary?

TomViolence did a SubVLP of Alien: Isolation. I think it's finished but it hasn't been archived.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Highwang posted:

Any good LPs of Doom 2016 out there? Been playing the game a lot and I kinda want to dare to compare with other people. I'm hoping for something along the lines of Lazyfire's Wolfenstein TNO LP where its mostly professional but I don't mind if the LPer is a bit of a goof.

The only ongoing one I know at the moment is Alexeythegreat's run. He's only a few videos in and his goofiness needs work, but it's still pretty good!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

HeartNotes3 posted:

I'll second this request-- I own the game, but I'm not very good at it and a good LPer would be a pleasure to watch, especially from the beginning.

It's something I'm thinking about but the Supply Drop update is supposed to be happening pretty soon, possibly in the next month.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

AllisonByProxy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good LP of the Penumbra games? Something immersive and informative, no yelling/facecam stuff?

I recall Crackle's being pretty decent, subtitled VLP that goes over Overture and Black Plague.

http://lparchive.org/Penumbra-Overture/

I can't really recommend Khad's based on...well, Khad.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I just caught up with Grey Hunter's excellent Japanese day by day, and also the Rule The Waves one that's been going on for awhile. Are there any other really good strategy LPs (preferably on the Forums, because it's easier for me to bookmark where I left off) I should look at? Or non-video ones? They've been great to thumb through while eating lunch or whatnot.

Most of them also exist on the LP Archive by the same person, and LP Archive does cookie-based bookmarking at the top.

War In The East comes to mind, along with his previous US run of the pre-Rule The Waves version of the War in the Pacific.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Crane Fist posted:

Anyone seen any good Resident Evil 7 LPs anywhere? Like ones with no scarecam, basically. Youtube is a wasteland and if I wanted to watch some idiot fail and die over and over I'd record myself playing it. Looking for something like Lunethex's RE runs, where you watch it and go oooh, that's how you're supposed to play it

Not a proper LP, but I enjoyed CJacobs' RE7 blind stream around when it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwJvDBs_Jz0

He also did a Madhouse run, so it's fun stuff.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Thesaya posted:

It is blind, but Scruffy made a great and comprehensive LP of it over at the LP Zone. It has a little bit of fumbling but he is generally very competent and the videos are edited to minimise any unnecessary running around or backtracking.
https://www.lp.zone/t/gotta-get-those-sweet-day-1-lp-bucks-with-the-evil-within-2/2453/71

It was on the forums here too :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837370

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SubponticatePoster posted:

dscruffy did a blind one as well if you enjoy watching someone stumble through, albeit rather competently.

Competent, ha ha :v: The big selling points for my playthrough is that I make appropriate startled panic noises without mugging.

I can always recommend Cjacobs' playthrough, he did a fine job. Especially if you're looking for something more informative than my blind playthrough. He's also partway through TEW2, though that hasn't updated in a bit.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I have good memories of Star Fox 64 done by Some Strange Flea but that never made it to archive. It's probably buried on a page somewhere in the forum maybe.

e: dang it's farther back than I remember. Started in 2012. Youtube playlist here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jH5xT6qV7E

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

Goddamn, supergreatfriend did a fantastic Siren LP. Can someone point me toward a good one for the second game? I was hoping he'd done it.

The only one I'm aware of is by Egomaniac, who also did his own translation for it. Original links are dead, but it's on the Internet Archive.