Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tombot posted:

This guy, loving seriously? He's one of those twats who pretend to be scared for preteen dumbasses on the internet. He literally can't spend more than a second without making a goddamn 'scared' noise for the whole length of the video, its cringemakingly unbearable. Is there literally no better videos than this?

The game's barely just hit the "interesting for Youtube LPers that rush to LP whatever's hip right now" point. If you're looking for something decent, you'll probably have to wait a couple weeks until the flood is over and the few gems have been found.

Of course, you could dumpster-dive for the few gems, but chances are good you won't find something that fast and will probably lose a good bit of your sanity doing so. The game hits too many of the notes that make it interesting for the YT LP crowd - horror, indie, simple, good for scarecams because of its jump scare game over method and constantly keeping the player on his feet, panders to a nostalgic crowd with the pizza place animatronic mascot deal - for it to not attract everybody and their dog, so there's going to be a ton of 5NaF (or whatever the gently caress the acronym for that game is) LPs put out over the next few days and weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nihilarian posted:

Is the game 3 months old?

More like nine days, judging from the Desura release date, and I think that was the first place it was distributed. Twelve days according to Wikipedia. Either way, not really. If it was that old, the Youtube frenzy would have already passed, I presume.

EDIT: Though one could apply the "ask the dev" rule here, and I can't imagine the dev would have any problems with an LP here.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 20, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Chewbot posted:

Huh. So the game is Night Trap with animatronic animals at a Pizzaria, and the first I've heard of it is through an LP recommendation thread. I just have no grasp of what people like nowadays :/. Between this, Goat Simulator, and survival games it's like Youtube celebrities decide what games will sell.

OH poo poo GUYS, Let's Play superstars have recursively dictated game design! You did it! You loving did it! HOORAY!

In the indie world, the "easiest" way to success is to become the flavor of the month. That way, you get boatloads of free advertising and people start flocking to your game in droves.

Like I said before, the game hits several key points that make it interesting for YT LPers, and therefore it had good chances of becoming flavor of the month. And lo and behold, it succeeded, is now on Steam and in the top 50 sellers there. Doesn't sound like a lot, but for what I believe is a one man show it's a success worth celebrating.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SelenicMartian posted:

That still links to the full thread page, only it scrolls it down to the post in question.

If you have the Last Read extension, there would be an extra button for that right there, but if not:

You take the link that the "#" button gives you and take the post ID from the end (so with your post we have this link -
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649263&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post444325577
- meaning that the post ID is 444325577) and add it to the following:
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=
Resulting in the full link being
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=444325577

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dancer posted:

Hey dudes and dudettes, I want to figure out what this whole Crusader Kings craze is about. I noticed there's a lot of LPs out there. Can someone recommend me one or a few? Ideally one with in-depth rules explanations. I like knowing what's going on.

Well, there's the CK2 tutorial LP thread, which has a fair share of different LPs with explanations and stuff, however, thanks to Paradox consistently changing the game in some fundamental way with every new DLC they bring out, people have eventually given up, and I believe all LPs there are out of date as of the Charlemagne DLC, not even mentioning Way of Life.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OneDeadman posted:

I'm pretty sure only computers tragically die after LPs.

I find that computers more tragically die during LPs.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mycroft Holmes posted:

There was an LP by a group of people of Scooby Doo Mystery for the SNES and it was really funny. Does anyone know where I can find it?

This one?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd just write LOOK HERE IF THE VIDEO LINKS ARE DOWN in big bold letters above the banner or something like that. Something that quickly says "oi, don't post on the forums because something is down, look here". It wouldn't look pretty, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:10bux: says it still wouldnt work

Yeah, it probably wouldn't. The only system I can think of that would eventually work would be to implement a "report" system, where you could report an LP for dead links, then, if the Archive links are available, they are manually inserted into the archived OP in lieu of the original dead links, which would then clear that problem permanently. The new problem with that is that that means more work for Baldurk, and that's not good either.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

nine-gear crow posted:

This is an outside SA thing and can only be tangentially called a Let's Play, but I don't give a poo poo because it's amazing on every level: Breaking Madden, by Jon Bois has started up again. So if you want to see a guy absolutely destroy Madden NFL 16 and make a mockery of the National Football League in the process to the tune of some really great music cuts, then Breaking Madden is for you everyone!

Edit: Here's the SB Nation Breaking Madden site itself where Bois also writes analysis of each BM episode. It's also incredibly hilarious.

Breaking Madden is back? Aw yiss, this is exactly what I needed right now (Chiefs fan). I thought that after nothing happened the first two weeks, it just wasn't coming back.

EDIT: Also, even more unrelated to video games, don't forget to check out the Roster Cuts on the SBNation page. Every week, there's the greatest stories ever being told. Like how one guy puked into a sink and ended up flooding a house.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 5, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Can anyone help me find a goon LP that might never have been finished? It was an LP of a 90s FMV game that involved you going to a swanky/bizarre art party--I remember that when I last saw an update, we were in the green room, listening to an actor talk on and on. . . . I'd really like to find the game and/or thread, but can't remember enough to get better google results than Night Trap (it is not Night Trap). Oh, and while I'm here: any LPs of 90s FMV games that you love? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you're talking about supergreatfriend's MODE LP, which did get finished, though not put on the Archive.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

jon joe posted:

I want a let's play similar to the hilarious train-wreck of gameplay + giggling like mad shits that was the Saints Row 2 LP.

Mercenaries 2 would probably fill a similar niche. The LP is practically ancient at this point and you probably already know about it, but god damnit, I just watched it for the first time like a month ago, so it counts to me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Powerfrog posted:

This got me wondering what LPs had the largest amount of individual effort put into them over the years? (key word: individual) Game doesn't necessarily have to be bad.

No question to me: Smasher Dynamo's Super-League. Started in 2011 as a Baseball Mogul LP but morphed into something else, and still going with updates every two days. The fact that Smasher Dynamo is somehow still continuing this and keeping to a schedule so incredibly well is something I never would have been able to consider possible.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I would like to plug SelenicMartian's Blackstone Chronicles VLP.

If you're down for some atmospheric horror that doesn't use any cheap tricks to get scares, this is a home run. Our protagonist finds himself in an old asylum that is in the process of being turned into a museum in search of his abducted son, and he has many run-ins with the wonderful world of old psychiatric treatment. And it is downright horrifying, thanks in part to some excellent voice acting.

Come on in to Blackstone Asylum and let the wonderful world of medicinal history wash over you. It's a lot more thrilling than it might sound.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aesop Poprock posted:

Hey guys, what's that resource management fantasy game that had the badass duck race who hunted undead? I'm having trouble thinking of any way to Google that that produces results.

The ducks weren't a playable race they were like your tribes neighbors who would massacre you if you hosed with them

King of Dragon Pass is the game with the ducks that are not to be hosed with.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Didn't someone do screenshot LPs of Silent Hill 1,2,3, and 4? They're not on the archive. I think it was a guy called FromEarth.

Yeah, four Silent Hill LPs by "From Earth". When you think there was an LP of something that isn't on the Archive, you can check the LP Master List. It's user-submitted, so some things fall through the cracks, but generally, it's a good extra resource.

However, these LPs seem to be lost to the depths of the internet due to lost screenshots.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

necroid posted:

hello everyone, I've tried checking google and the forums search but I can't find it: I'm looking for the guy that LPed all the Lone Wolf books years ago, I remember reading them in 2010. any idea?

There's a variety of Lone Wolf text LPs listed on the LP Archive master list. Going by what you're saying, maybe this thread is it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

StrixNebulosa posted:

OFF.

We Know the Devil is a little less horror and more...personal horror, but it's really good.

Blackstone Chronicles isn't a screenshot LP but it is the scariest LP on the archive thanks to its highly disturbing subject matter.

I think I've already recommended Blackstone Chronicles in this thread, but I'm going to take the opportunity to echo the recommendation here again. That game is the scariest god drat thing out there, and it's one amazing ride from beginning to end. Even if you were looking for screenshot LPs, this is well worth your time, as well as anybody else's time if they're looking for something scary.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Teddybear posted:

Half-recommendation, half-memory jog: I remember someone had a Blood Bowl LP a while back that was a goon league. I don't remember the particulars but it was a goon voted thread, it had nice little memorial cards for each player that died, and it wasn't cKnoor's.

Also, is there a good Blood Bowl 2 LP around?

There were two Blood Bowl LPs by GNU Order that I'm pretty sure are the ones you are thinking of. They should be listed in the LP Archive master list.

EDIT: And there is a Blood Bowl 2 LP currently ongoing. No idea if it's good, though, I haven't watched it.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 14, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Here's something very cool - it's offsite, but worth posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33HENoj4GE

There's a channel on Youtube called GameHut, run by Jon Burton, founder and director of Traveller's Tales, a game development studio, and his channel has a lot of interesting game development videos, like old versions of games like Sonic R or Puggsy, or explanations on coding tricks used to make certain things work in games. And his latest video is the first part of a Let's Play / director's commentary on Mickey Mania, another game he worked on. Very interesting!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Skwirl posted:

The Paradox forums have a bunch of AARs (after action reports) which are mostly screenshots and text.

Or pictures that aren't screenshots and text, which seems to be more strange historical fiction than any sort of LP equivalent. Like, three paragraphs of text, then a picture of a boat. Then three paragraphs of text, then a picture of some soldiers. That kind of thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have a weird question. What’s the easiest way to download like a pdf or something of a screenshot LP? My office at work has awful reception and on lunch break I love reading LP’s but with all the images it’s pretty painful.

Here's what I'd do.

1) Install Something Awful Last Read. This is mainly for comfort, as it adds a button to the bottom of posts that lets you view just that one post, which will make things easier.

2) Open the different updates as single posts. Let them load completely.

3) Save these updates. In my case (I'm using Firefox), I would use "Save Page As..." and then save the page as "Web Page, complete".

What this does is download the HTML file and also all the resources the page required, which will go into a separate folder. If you repeat this for the different updates, you'll end up with a set of HTML files you can open offline and that have all the images. This has the advantage over something like a PDF that you also have GIF animations, which are very important for some SSLPs.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone have that really chill and calm roller coaster tycoon LP where the guy was basically like a roller coaster bob ross?

if not, does anyone have some really chill LPs of people playing building games?

Was it this by any chance?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

StrixNebulosa posted:

I need a good screenshot LP to kick back with, as I'm out of Pokemon Reborn and Vampires Dawn, and I'm looking at the Fire Emblem LPs, but... oh boy. There are 32958837 of them. Where should I start? I'm interested in both the main games and the ridiculous romhacks.

Well, for ridiculous romhacks, there's one that stands out from the rest.

FIRE EMBLEM DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OSTIAN PRINCESS

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, I just finished reading the fantastic Restaurant Empire LP, and now I'm in the mood for something horror-y.

What are the best horror LPs? Recent ones would be preferable as I've been through the LP archive multiple times, but - heck, I'm desperate, rec me anything that's spooky. Screenshots, videos, hit me.

I've never been one for horror myself, which might make this recommendation a bit odd, but I can't let a request for horror LPs go by without bringing up SelenicMartian's Blackstone Chronicles LP.

It's a very unorthodox game when compared to what you'd normally think of as "horror", but that's exactly what made it appeal to me. It's a very different take that doesn't rely on horror standards like jumpscares and that kind of stuff, and delivers an absolutely spine-tingling experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'll repost what I recommended a while ago, because it's still really great.

TheMcD posted:

I would like to plug SelenicMartian's Blackstone Chronicles VLP.

If you're down for some atmospheric horror that doesn't use any cheap tricks to get scares, this is a home run. Our protagonist finds himself in an old asylum that is in the process of being turned into a museum in search of his abducted son, and he has many run-ins with the wonderful world of old psychiatric treatment. And it is downright horrifying, thanks in part to some excellent voice acting.

Come on in to Blackstone Asylum and let the wonderful world of medicinal history wash over you. It's a lot more thrilling than it might sound.