Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

In terms of two person commentary I suggest checking out Nine Gear Crow and Blind Sally playing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. Really high effort, great commentator chemistry and the guys know what they are doing more than I did when the game came out.

Plus we cover the entire Shadows of the Empire meta-franchise; everything from the comics, to the SotE novel, to that one mission in X-Wing Alliance that intersects with the SotE storyline.

Thanks again for the shout out, by thr way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I dunno. I stand by my OP recommendation of Dirge of Cerberus as TheDarkId at his best. It's a hauntingly beautiful slow descent into madness as he becomes ever-more frustrated and furious with the game as the LP drags on, culminating in a post-script so luscious it rivals Keats, Coleridge, and Wordsworth:

TheDarkId posted:

gently caress this game. gently caress everyone behind the making of this game. gently caress Tetsuya Nomura. gently caress Square-Enix. gently caress Vincent Valentine. gently caress Final Fantasy VII. gently caress J-RPGs. gently caress Japan. gently caress you for enjoying my suffering. And gently caress me for going 'hey, Dirge of Cerberus...there's a good game to LP' nearly 11 months ago.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically, :unsmigghh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

ScurvyKip's Xenosaga LP is some 39 videos of a long, sprawling JRPG that would be incredibly boring if he and his guests weren't there to point out stupid lines and bad plot points.

Xenosaga Episode I is pretty much two hours of good SciFi diffused across 40 hours of boring. But I'll second the recommendation of the LP though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
berryjon is going a great subtitled LP of Homeworld:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669457

And MassRafTer is doing an absolutely hilarious straight LP of Sonic 2006 with HukaMatt:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656903
It serves as a nice counterbalance and compliment to pokecapn's LP of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sneaky Fast posted:

Hold the phone. You have a Killzone LP?!

I'd link it, but I'd get :redhammer:'d for plugging my own LP and I pretend that I respect this place too much to do that. It's one of the ones with the Stone Cold thread tag if you want to go looking for it, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

I dunno, I saw Sonic 2 Special Edition.

gently caress that, Ecco the Dolphin has destroyed every poor soul who's tried to LP it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why does nobody remember The Forgotten Sands. :negative:

It was a triple pronged assault:

1. Prince of Persia 2008 kind of stepped on a few two many toes with its creative choices and soured people to the Prince of Persia franchise.
  2. Assassin's Creed started driving dumptrucks full of money to Yves Guillemot's front door, while PoP only showed up with the occasional F-150 full.
  3. The Prince of Persia move came out at literally the exact same time and had a similar look to Forgotten Sands, and because VIDEO GAME MOVIES SUCK :byodood:, well -- actually, no, they were both just kind of Meh.

And if there's one thing Ubisoft hates, it's their games just doing "...meh" on the market. Their games being poo poo, on the other hand, well... They're still trying to market Assassin's Creed Unity, that's all you need to know about that. (With all due apologies to Gimbal lock, who's an actual Ubisoft dev and a really cool guy who worked on PoP 08 and is posting in the LP thread).

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 25, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Actually, he persevered through the Kairo LP, despite no one really watching it.

Hey, I watched the first video of his Kairo LP.

I blacked out about 5 minutes into it and woke up on my front lawn 4 hours later, but I watched it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Tastee posted:

Can anyone recommend any Mass Effect LPs? I know Spoiler Warning's done one of the trilogy, but they're a little bit too pessimistic for my tastes.

The Freelance Astronauts one is all kinds of great. If for no other reason than to see how hard Maxwell Adams breaks the game over his knee with console commands for the amusement of everyone else.

It gave us the phrase "Quick, spawn another tank!", for what it's worth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hungry Bit posted:

My Assassin's Creed II save got corrupted when I was halfway through the game. loving Xbox.

Can someone please recommend me a good AssCreed II LP? No way I'm gonna replay 20 hours.

There's two currently on the Archive, so you're spoiled for choice: Geop's and RChimp Cola's.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

goodness posted:

Can anyon recommend a good lp to read/watch for comedy? The only LP I have ever really enjoyed are boatmurder dwarf fortress and the animal Crossing evil Tom nook one. I guess neighbor are actually an LP but anything that is humorous should be a good start.

Anything by The Dark Id is guaranteed hilarious:

Dirge of Cerberus
Xenogears
Drakengard
Drakengard 2
Drakengard 3 (currently in progress)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, people have been asking for dry humorous LP, and Lizard Wizard fills the bill of being a dry humorous LP author.

Then maybe try phrasing it a little clearer so it doesn't look like you find the idea itself of a certain poster's threads actually being replied to contemptuously funny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kjetting posted:

HOLY poo poo you were not kidding. These are great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDRKbYNjRic

The last minute of the final video is truly the best part. This guy's great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Uhhh all the videos have been taken down. :stonk:

Maxwell uploaded everything to YouTube: http://www.freelanceastronauts.com/games.php?id=52

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I appear as a guest in one episode, so I can't formally recommend this, but as being an observer of this LP for the other 99% of the time, I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment.

If this is somehow violating the rules, let me know and I'll edit this out with another suggestion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

People often forget (but I won't let them) that Valkhorn is immortalized on the LPArchive with seven of their LPs: http://lparchive.org/author/valkhorn

Ballance is Valkhorn's best.

I'd argue Kairo was valkhorn's best LP. Because he left SA shortly after he finished it :v:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 12, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Sorry, I also completely forgot.

yeah

Isn't there like a 30 second stretch in Force Unleashed II where you and Trizophenie just start talking in German to gently caress with Kalon? :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This is an outside SA thing and can only be tangentially called a Let's Play, but I don't give a poo poo because it's amazing on every level: Breaking Madden, by Jon Bois has started up again. So if you want to see a guy absolutely destroy Madden NFL 16 and make a mockery of the National Football League in the process to the tune of some really great music cuts, then Breaking Madden is for you everyone!

Edit: Here's the SB Nation Breaking Madden site itself where Bois also writes analysis of each BM episode. It's also incredibly hilarious.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 5, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Breaking Madden is back? Aw yiss, this is exactly what I needed right now (Chiefs fan). I thought that after nothing happened the first two weeks, it just wasn't coming back.

EDIT: Also, even more unrelated to video games, don't forget to check out the Roster Cuts on the SBNation page. Every week, there's the greatest stories ever being told. Like how one guy puked into a sink and ended up flooding a house.

The best one is the roster post for the Super Bowl XLVIII episode. Some guy yelled at a woman for going in an out door only to be mortified when she turned around and it was Maya Angelou :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostwoods posted:

Scruffy just finished his blind LP of The Evil Within. That was rather awesome.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729340

And conversely, CJacobs recently began a compare and contrast dual-LP of The Evil Within and Resident Evil 4. It's even scruffy approved. Definitely one to check out, especially vis-a-vis dscruffy1's.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746334

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azran posted:

Due to a recent break up I'm kind of depressed, can you guys recommend a funny LP that will cheer me up or whatever?

The Freelance Astronauts' New Super Mario Bros LP never fails to make me smile.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Le0 posted:

I started watching DeadRodent's LP of Outlast and enjoying it quite a bit (http://lparchive.org/Outlast/).
I love survival/horror stuff, are there other LPs like this?

There's a pretty neat Outlast LP that started up a couple days ago that probably needs a little more love: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749404

Espresso Steampunk is doing a run through of Outlast with his father as a co-comentator as sort of a social experiment/LP. It's an interestingly genuine concept, all told.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are there any decent completionist VLPs of FFIX or Lightning Returns out there? I've been looking around and either the player reads all the dialogue in a funny voice (in the case of the former) or says nothing (in the case of the latter).

Kung-Fu Jesus started one for LR, but quickly abandoned it. Your best bet for a good Lightning Returns VLP would be to wait a month or so until Artix and Fedule start up theirs. They've already been through XIII and XIII-2, and it's just a matter of time before they get to LR.

And are you sure you mean Final Fantasy 9? Because that's not really a game that lends itself to a VLP very well, but that being said FrancisFarterburgr and fieldmouse are doing every Final Fantasy game as a series of VLPs, so they'll probably get to IX... I dunno, eventually. They've been at it since late February and are up to IV now with regular updates.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

It made ME cry.

But I thought we decided that Argate was Sadness?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I assumed that just got merged into YouTube. Did they just abandon it then?

Nope. Everything on Google Video got summarily dumped, if a lot of the older stuff on the LP Archive is anything to go on. If you didn't reupload the video to YouTube yourself, it was purged when Google pulled the plug on it. A lot of older LPs did have their video content archived through the Internet Archive as well however. A lot of the stuff that used to be hosted on Google Video, Vimeo, and Viddler before they kicked LPers off the site or folded up shop was saved. Stuff that was on Blip is touch and go, though because Blip was just a rolling disaster in terms of content purges and general shady shenanigans.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
More people should be watching the Devil's Third LP by ChaosArgate, Artix, and Jobbo_Fett. The game is a solid rocket booster of crazy that kicks in hard right from the opening seconds and never lets up. It's a big budget B-movie that knows exactly what it is and has a ton of fun with your expectations of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SWMadness posted:

So I just binged through Dr. Kill's "Let's play Majora's Mask/OOT Super Wrong" videos as well as the Zelda OOT Chaos Mode videos that were attached to FaerieFortune's Blind OOT LP, and was wondering if there are any other good glitch showcase, speed-run based, or "Let's Break" style LPs I should check out?

How much of OOT Chaos Mode did you see? because Artix, Argate, and Fae did a full LP of it. They also tackled Wind Waker Chaos Mode, which isn't as mechanically random as Ocarina's was, but still managed to get even more hosed up in awesome ways, to the point where it had its own Bingo card of potential glitches.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

toddy. posted:

The reason is way better than anyone could imagine.

...Is it because Dryzen really did kill him during the Flywrench LP? :ohdear:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

nine-gear crow's White Knight Chronicles was a really great analysis of a game that could've been really cool if the production team had been competent. We spent a lot of time in the thread discussing how it could be better, but I don't know how much of that is visible in the Archive.

The thread itself hasn't fallen into the archives yet, so that's probably the best way to view it if you want to see the full debate and communal deconstruction of the games.

The LP Archive version is just a more streamlined and polished version of the thread updates. So take your pick, really.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Malfegor posted:

Ivantod's Wing commander LP is only partially archived (images are present, videos lost). Is there a good LP of wing commander anywhere on the web? And if one were to follow the Ivantod LP along side a longplay, would one miss anything?

Any Half life mod threads around with working video links? There was a couple a long time ago that I know of, sadly they have been lost to time.

MaNiAk and co. are in the midst of stumbling their way through Sven Co-op, the multiplayer mod for the original Half-Life. It's fun if you want to watch a bunch of guys break the game over their knee in funny ways, but honestly I'd more put this one in the "background noise for when you're working on other stuff" category. That's not a dig or a slight at MaNiAk, it's just a thing that tends to be inherent to these types of lengthy, group-based safari type exploration LPs is all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Highwang posted:

Is there a good Dark Souls 3 LP out there yet? Tried watching 2BFP and ENB but I just couldn't get into them for some reason.

CJacobs is doing one at the moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Highwang posted:

Is there a good Dark Souls 3 LP out there yet? Tried watching 2BFP and ENB but I just couldn't get into them for some reason.

Also Rojo's doing a DS3 LP too that probably needs some more love too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brinner posted:

Any good warhams LP's going on/finished recently?

Blind Sally just wrapped up an LP of Dark Crusade a few weeks ago.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beelerzebub posted:

Is Until Dawn good? I'm curious about it and from what I've seen/heard, it looks/sounds like 80's slasher film the game. Would this be accurate at all?

It is. Yeah it's a slasher flick game but it's like the first Scream movie where it has fun with itself. Plus it has some rather endearing characters for a 20-something slasher flick game. Especially Brett Dalton's character, who basically becomes Ash Williams in the back third of the game :swoon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Petr posted:

Is there a LP of Rogue Legacy where the player is actually competent, either here or somewhere else? I find that game really relaxing to watch, but most of the let's players I've seen are terrible to the point of it being irritating.

Also, is there a LP of 2016 Doom that stops and points out the lore stuff hidden in the game?

There's two Doom 2016 LPs on the forums right now: FlamingVoid's, which just wrapped up but was a more casual affair than what you're looking for, and Alexeythegreat's, which is going the hybrid route and putting the bulk of the lore details in separate posts from the videos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Highwang posted:

Any good LPs of Doom 2016 out there? Been playing the game a lot and I kinda want to dare to compare with other people. I'm hoping for something along the lines of Lazyfire's Wolfenstein TNO LP where its mostly professional but I don't mind if the LPer is a bit of a goof.

dscruffy1 posted:

The only ongoing one I know at the moment is Alexeythegreat's run. He's only a few videos in and his goofiness needs work, but it's still pretty good!

Similarly, FlamingVoid also took a run at the game. It's not as polished as Alexy's (at least initially), but it's a complete run through that eventually finds it footing fairly fast.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GuavaMoment posted:

There's no voice acting in Xenogears, and it's long as hell, so you really sure you want a VLP? Because The Dark Id did pretty much THE perfect Xenogears SSLP.

A Rope of Robots is the perfect Xenogears SSLP :colbert: But Id's is really drat good too. Plus AROR still isn't finished hasn't updated in 4 years, sadly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seriously. Someone needs to buy that smilie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

i wanna find some lps with some funny rear end people, would prefer group commentary and kind of some people outside of the general famous rear end SA people. don't really care what game it is either, i just want some goofs who are a bit more obscure and preferably on this forum.

The Syphon Filter series LP by Lunethex is a good place to start. Lune drags Coolguye, TheLastRoboKy, and Jade Star through all six Syphon Filter games and their dopey 80s/90s spy thriller plots and hilariously bonkers physics engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I should mention that the LP Master List is entirely goon run. It's extremely possible for LPs to be missed, there are definitely holes, and if someone sees an LP that isn't on the list that they think should be on the list, then they should just go ahead and add it.

Indeed. I've been trying to keep the Master List curated as a personal side project to sate my OCD, but because it is largely self-reporting, it's not an entirely accurate representation. Still a drat good tool though for finding LPs or seeing what has/hasn't been done though. Because generally if it's not on there anywhere then its lost to the forums.

Also LPs that go up on the LP Archive are auto-added to the Master List by baldurk regardless of whether or not they were listed on the Master List prior to that.