Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

regulargonzalez posted:

To follow up on the football analogy, here is a modest proposal that I think would be more interesting. Should probably go in the newbie thread but in the interest of continuing the discussion here, I'll leave it. Especially since nothing is going on in the game.

So, each team gets a turn on offense. They start with the ball at midfield, if ball goes back across it, it's reset at midfield again with the offense having control. Defense plays a man down. Offense has 5 minutes to score as much as they can. Repeat with teams switching offense / defense roles. If tied after this first round, repeat but this time the defense plays 2 men down (or 3 if it goes into a third, etc).

Hmm I see where you're going with this, but I think we can do even better. I find the rectangular goal to be a strange concept. A ball can just roll in. What's the challenge with that? How about we make the goal round and suspend it from the air? Some sort of basket. Also I think we should make it illegal to dribble. Which means that to get the ball forward, we will see constant passing, adding an element of danger to the play because they can lose the ball much more easily. We'll see the end of boring possession-based play this way I think because of the repeated turnovers.

I was also thinking of adding some fixed positions, or "bases" if you will. Players will have to rotate between those "bases" as and when they get the ball, and when a player makes a full rotation, we consider that a goal, in addition to the option of scoring it through the "basket" that I mentioned earlier.

And finally, do the players have to use their feet? Wouldn't we make the game much more dynamic and interesting if they were allowed to use their hands as well? Would make for far more interesting plays, in my opinion. Maybe we could even add bats into the element. Your thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Boeing Troll posted:

Hmm I see where you're going with this, but I think we can do even better. I find the rectangular goal to be a strange concept. A ball can just roll in. What's the challenge with that? How about we make the goal round and suspend it from the air? Some sort of basket. Also I think we should make it illegal to dribble. Which means that to get the ball forward, we will see constant passing, adding an element of danger to the play because they can lose the ball much more easily. We'll see the end of boring possession-based play this way I think because of the repeated turnovers.

I was also thinking of adding some fixed positions, or "bases" if you will. Players will have to rotate between those "bases" as and when they get the ball, and when a player makes a full rotation, we consider that a goal, in addition to the option of scoring it through the "basket" that I mentioned earlier.

And finally, do the players have to use their feet? Wouldn't we make the game much more dynamic and interesting if they were allowed to use their hands as well? Would make for far more interesting plays, in my opinion. Maybe we could even add bats into the element. Your thoughts?

Imagine if all the best UEFA athletes played this version of the game? drat I'm getting torqued.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Looking forward to messi scoring a hat trick in the final and cementing his place as the greatest player in the world

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Looking forward to Messi ineffectively ambling around the pitch like a dumbass again

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

System Metternich posted:

Looking forward to Messi ineffectively ambling around the pitch like a dumbass again

He just got tested so they'll be able to pump him full of roids again.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Boeing Troll posted:

Hmmm, not sure if you are (again) trying to troll here, but such a game already exists and it is called Advanced Mathematics

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

El Hefe posted:

Messi is the best player this world has ever seen, lol if you can't see it.

Thats not how you spell Cruijff.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
I liked how Holland gave us the impression that they could take penalties last game. Then right back to failing..

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Germany - Argentina sounds like a proper World Cup final.

Almost like the good old days.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Ka0 posted:

I wonder who will hitler cheer for this Sunday, his old reichskinder or his south american paradise.

I will cheer for Hitler this sunday

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
why dont instead of pks they do thunderdome in the centre circle, nigel de jong popping higuain in the chops with a sledgehammer

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
also did oliwan get trolled

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Instead of even playing all the games, every last 16 team should just play against the same Brazil lineup Germany did, and see how many goals they can beat them by. Biggest margin of victory gets the world cup.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Eau de MacGowan posted:

He mysteriously disappeared. Probably burning his Dutch shirts as he eats some stinky swiss cheese.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

rear end cobra posted:

Germany - Argentina sounds like a proper World Cup final.

Almost like the good old days.

Yeah if only Germany was split in two and Argentina was run by a military dictatorship that shoved rats up dissidents fannies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Raffles posted:

Yeah if only Germany was split in two and Argentina was run by a military dictatorship that shoved rats up dissidents fannies.

:agreed:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Luckily Argentina is poo poo as ever and we still have the Benrather Line separating Nordic UEFA from Africa.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

tetsman posted:

He mysteriously disappeared. Probably burning his Dutch shirts as he eats some stinky swiss cheese.

he's definitely swiss again

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Raffles posted:

yes the good old days

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
if you hate both teams then come this sunday you should be supporting Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eau de MacGowan posted:

He's quietly dealing with the reality that he became a race traitor for nothing.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Aren't the swiss supposed to be godless mercenaries? Did his people proud imo

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Koesj posted:

Luckily Argentina is poo poo as ever and we still have the Benrather Line separating Nordic UEFA from Africa.
Guess that makes me an African immigrant then. :v:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

quiet enjoyment posted:

if you hate both teams then come this sunday you should be supporting Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

That's a weird way to spell Thomas Müller

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Karl Sharks posted:

That's a weird way to spell Thomas Müller

Smaller Mouth
Mallets Humor
Lame Moth Slur

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mascherano stretched his anus on a tackle against Robben.

http://espn.uol.com.br/noticia/424452_rasguei-o-anus-nessa-jogada-por-isso-a-dor-diz-mascherano-apos-evitar-gol-holandes

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Boeing Troll posted:

His idea was dumb, but penalties are loving stupid. I hate 120 minutes of back and forth tense games (Netherlands/Argentina was not one of these) that have you on the edge of your seat, and then get decided by that lame poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

His idea was dumb, but penalties are loving stupid. I hate 120 minutes of back and forth tense games (Netherlands/Argentina was not one of these) that have you on the edge of your seat, and then get decided by that lame poo poo.

have you ever been involved in a penalty shoot out?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Volkerball posted:

wrong thread

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have watched games that went to penalties.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I thought this was a good match. I liked watching a really tight battle of 2 well-balanced and well-instructed teams.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Penalties are loving nerve wracking and I love them

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Penalties are amazing a tense contest of who's more alpha. Manly as hell. Football in its rawest essence. Some of my best football memories are penalties, Baggio!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
penalties are a dumb way to finish a game, after the 120 minutes teams should be allowed to grab the ball with their hands and the first team to score a try wins

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
i mean a touchdown or whatever they call it

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

tetsman posted:

penalties are a dumb way to finish a game, after the 120 minutes teams should be allowed to grab the ball with their hands and the first team to score a try wins
also no fouls will be called. that would be awesome.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Juanito posted:

also no fouls will be called. that would be awesome.

one team becomes the offense and the other, the defense, and the defenders get sébastien chabal, phwoar

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Penalties are really bad lol so is extra time usually. poo poo sucks rear end you can't deny.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

quiet enjoyment posted:

The two currently living popes (the current pope and the last pope) are from Argentina and Germany, respectively. COINCIDENCE??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eviljelly posted:

The two currently living popes (the current pope and the last pope) are from Argentina and Germany, respectively. COINCIDENCE??????

I guess the winner will determine whether God is down with Popes Emeritus or not.

• Locked thread