Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The chopsticks thing is really common in parts of Japan and Korea (and probably Taiwan too). In Japan at least they also like to open chip bags in the middle of the spine on the back and lay them flat in the middle of the table while people sit around and grab chips out of it with chopsticks.

It's pretty dorky but I have to say I have done it before at my old job when I wanted to eat some chips or something and not get the computer/phone greasy with Dorrito dust or Lays oil. I also have done it while painting and playing board games since there are times when you don't want to get a $100+ board game covered in gross stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

There are so many lifehacks that involve bread tags that tape would be better suited for without making you look like some kind of hoarder weirdo

"no no, I'm saving these bread tags to repair my flip flops, sort my electronics cables, keep my crayons from rolling away, and to label my spice garden, they're not trash."

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Woe to the white man whose crayons roll away. Woe I say.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Saw this a while back:

Making pancakes by plopping some batter into a rice cooker. Who the gently caress wants this? Congratulations you now have a cake sized pancake that is poo poo to eat and didn't really save you any time or effort.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Please ruin your electric plugs instead of spending a dollar on a screwdriver

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Oh God, the burning Dorritos must smell awful :ohdear:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

cmndstab posted:

Oh God, the burning Dorritos must smell awful :ohdear:

No lie, I tried this last time I went camping and it worked. There was no smell to speak of.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Presumably the flaming chemicals immediately destroyed your sense of smell.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Why didn't they just burn that dry grass all around the doritoes? :confused:

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Corn chips are loaded with oils and would hold a flame for longer than the grass. The grass would make good kindling, but the chip would would make a better igniter. That said, he's doing pretty much everything wrong.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

kazil posted:

Saw this a while back:

Making pancakes by plopping some batter into a rice cooker. Who the gently caress wants this? Congratulations you now have a cake sized pancake that is poo poo to eat and didn't really save you any time or effort.

Yeah it's kinda dumb but you do realize you cut it into slices just like a cake (then applying butter/syrup/etc) right?

You don't just sit your goony butt down and eat the whole thing.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Yeah seriously. Also, here's my own little tip for y'all if you get stranded in a forest: you burn red dried out red pine needles for kindling, but use pine needles that are still green if you want to make smoke.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Actually, I remember an episode of Survivorman where he used a small amount of corn chips to start a fire. The oil they're cooked in helps make them just plain better than simple grass for starting a fire. Add the grass, too, sure, because you gotta build up to the twigs and limbs, but the corn chips do make a legit fuel in a pinch.

Though anyone using most of these life-hacks isn't really in a pinch so much as they're just daft.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Lotish posted:

Actually, I remember an episode of Survivorman where he used a small amount of corn chips to start a fire. The oil they're cooked in helps make them just plain better than simple grass for starting a fire. Add the grass, too, sure, because you gotta build up to the twigs and limbs, but the corn chips do make a legit fuel in a pinch.

Though anyone using these life-hacks isn't really in a pinch so much.

Les Stroud is a national treasure and his show/book(s?) have legit saved at least a couple people.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think the show's still on Netflix; I should give it a rewatch.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Pre-social media sites, I would be bored at work and would read news websites. After catching up on current events, and doing the crossword, I'd start reading the advice columns. Hints From Heloise had some loving stupid people writing in to share their ridiculous ideas.

One woman had a solution for sweating water glasses at dinner parties leaving you with wet hands or water rings on the table. Her solution? Socks. Cut up some old socks and use the elastic portion that runs from the ankle up the shin to create a sleeve for the glasses. What kind loving stupid idiot would think that their guests would appreciate used socks around their glasses instead of drying their hands on napkins or using a loving coaster?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I used to buy those lovely Take a Break/Full House etc magazines a lot when waiting for the bus was like 30% of my day, and the top tips were always my favourite thing because most of them were just such stupid pointless poo poo. They were normally things like 'got a container that used to hold something but is now empty? use it as a container for a new and different thing!'

Went hunting for some online and found all the ones I remember reading in the magazines that I particularly enjoyed:

Just looks poo poo.

Beautiful party decorations - tin foil and rocks!

In no way inconvenient when trying to read the book

'An event happened, so I used the function of a camera to create a visual reminder of it'

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's not like it was my only option, you twit. I saw the lovely Life-Hack, went camping some time later, had the chips and gave it a shot.
That being said, it looked stupid and I wouldn't encourage it unless you, somehow, had no other options.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

dog days are over posted:

I used to buy those lovely Take a Break/Full House etc magazines a lot when waiting for the bus was like 30% of my day, and the top tips were always my favourite thing because most of them were just such stupid pointless poo poo. They were normally things like 'got a container that used to hold something but is now empty? use it as a container for a new and different thing!'

Went hunting for some online and found all the ones I remember reading in the magazines that I particularly enjoyed:

'An event happened, so I used the function of a camera to create a visual reminder of it'

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. I can take a picture, and it will help the memory last longer? What witchery is this?

Also I will now bring a bag of doritos with me whenever I travel in case I get stranded in the wilderness. I can use the food to light a fire so I can cook my food. Gonna put an emergency bag in my glove box.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Stalin McHitler posted:

There are so many lifehacks that involve bread tags that tape would be better suited for without making you look like some kind of hoarder weirdo

"no no, I'm saving these bread tags to repair my flip flops, sort my electronics cables, keep my crayons from rolling away, and to label my spice garden, they're not trash."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Truly bread tags are the pinnacle of human tool creation.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.

Treguna Mekoides has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jan 11, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Eh, isn't this just a prank/being a dick?

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Can't wait to see Non-Lathering Soap Prank In The Hood

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I will also shamelessly admit to the chopsticks/crisps thing. I sometimes run a market type stall at events where the toilet is a ten minute walk and a 20 minute queue away so handwashing is a massive pain but I don't want to get dust and grease all over my expensive fabric merchendise, plus I usually have chopsticks left over from the Asian style lunches some of the other stalls serve.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
"Eating Cheetos with chopsticks" is this generations "eating a Snickers bar with a knife and fork" joke. We just need, say, Amy Poheler to do it on-camera to make it official.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

El Estrago Bonito posted:

$100+ board game

Lol whut

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutonForensic posted:

Edit: Oh my God. :cripes:

Is this supposed to be a life hack for getting away with manslaughter?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Want to spend $100,000 and $38 in shipping on a single board game follow this link to find out how.
http://www.amazon.com/Once-Lifetime-Go-Board-Single/dp/B00CQZ8D8I/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1405078119&sr=1-2

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

In Japan at least they also like to open chip bags in the middle of the spine on the back and lay them flat in the middle of the table while people sit around and grab chips out of it with chopsticks.

I've lived in Japan for 6 years and not once have I seen people eating chips with chopsticks like retarded weeaboos.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Opening the bag all the way down the middle and unfolding it into a flat sheet with a big pile of crisps in the middle is normal in some places (in the UK at least) for sharing them at a table. But chopsticks is a new one on me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Board games can be really expensive. There are a lot of novelty chess sets on that page, but even excluding them there are a bunch of ordinary board games that are $100+.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tiggum posted:

Board games can be really expensive. There are a lot of novelty chess sets on that page, but even excluding them there are a bunch of ordinary board games that are $100+.

Most of the things are on that list due to stupid gouging, though. I used to own a couple games on that list and I threw them in the garbage when I moved.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I remember watching this super shrimpers show on the tv in the UK. One tip to save money was to save the netting you get when you buy oranges. After you get a lot of them, bundle them together and you don't need to waste money on a scouring pad. You know those things that last a while and are like 3 for £1?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't know what's wrong with using chopsticks. I don't like dirty fingers and don't you loving tell me napkins are sufficient.

Don't you dare.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Do you have running water in your home?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Morpheus posted:

I don't know what's wrong with using chopsticks. I don't like dirty fingers and don't you loving tell me napkins are sufficient.

Don't you dare.

Are you trying to shovel entire handfulls into your mouth or what?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

This is obviously a parody or is my faith in humanity naive?