Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Warbird posted:

Oh I can top that. During college I’d regularly make “soup burritos” that would be my sole substance for multiple days at a time. You’d make a big batch of rice in a rice cooker and when it finished you’d dump a can of soup or two in there and stir it up to be a mostly solid mass of whatever you added flavored rice. Toss that into some large tortillas and boom, a “meal”.

Clam chowder was a personal favorite. It’s a wonder the sodium and carbs didn’t kill me.

Ditch the tortilla and you've got a decent rice bowl, if you're poor. I make "bachelor chow" which is just a massive pot of rice, beans, cheese, chicken and whatever veggies I have available.
Serves decently cold so you can just scoop some out instead of getting a burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

Elviscat posted:

That's my point, yes. Chickpeas change in volume when cooking is similar or equal to other legumes.

Lentils are smaller than chickpeas

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Planet Piss posted:

Lentils are smaller than chickpeas

And that's why nobody would pay to have a lentil in their soup.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

What's bigger, a cup of lentils or a cup of chickpeas?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Herbotron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fC2oke5MFg

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Screaming Idiot posted:

And that's why nobody would pay to have a lentil in their soup.

:piss:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
They'll never tell you this but boxed stuffing is cheap, delicious, and can just kinda be dumped in a pan with some meat and veggies and disappear into the oven. Also works great in meatloaf and in the crock pot. Basically any meal you can dump together and forget about until it smells good.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Herbotron posted:

Measured dry, the chickpeas after soaking. 3x a chickpea is a lot more volume than 3x a lentil.

Measured wet, the lentils as they will fill more space in the cup than bulky chickpeas.

Measured in flavor, just curry everything and it's all good

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Desert Bus posted:

They'll never tell you this but boxed stuffing is cheap, delicious, and can just kinda be dumped in a pan with some meat and veggies and disappear into the oven. Also works great in meatloaf and in the crock pot. Basically any meal you can dump together and forget about until it smells good.
That's not a lifehack. The lifehack is to buy clearance breadcrumbs and some stock cubes and make your own dump meal filler.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It's a lifehack when the stuffing has been in your pantry since last November and you're sick of seeing it in there :science:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's a lifehack when the stuffing has been in your pantry since last November and you're sick of seeing it in there :science:

This bird gets it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Please don’t stuff, cook, and eat LITERALLY A BIRD

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Desert Bus would never! but thank you for looking out :ohdear:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I feel like there is a joke here I am not able to properly formulate so

[enter joke here]

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The joke is that their username is “literally a bird”, implying that they are, in fact, a bird.

I think.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Warbird posted:

The joke is that their username is “literally a bird”, implying that they are, in fact, a bird.

I think.

Yeah well it takes one to kn-

Oh. Right.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Professor Shark posted:

Please don’t stuff, cook, and eat LITERALLY A BIRD

Of course not.
That makes it much harder to cook both the bird and the stuffing. You cook the stuffing (technically dressing since you didn't, ya know, stuff it in the bird) and the bird separately.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD has always been super nice to me a bunch and even did some wizardry as an admin to get my best friend his death permaban.

I will happily cook and eat other birds but this one is off limits.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

At least with stale stuffing. They’re a “this years stuffing” kind of poster.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love how lovely the final product in this is
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1cesntIZG1r0uzl6.mp4

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just saw the lifehack of "book an Airbnb for two people so that the host doesn't know You're traveling alone" and that isn't the ringing endorsement of airbnb they think it is

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lifehack from this guy interrupting a street preacher
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qpyvd6kXGT1x4pmbc.mp4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's still extramarital.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If marital sex is good then obviously extramarital sex is even better.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OwlFancier posted:

If marital sex is good then obviously extramarital sex is even better.

If you like marriage, you will love extra marriage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

It's still extramarital.

Pretermarital and -natural.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Is this fucker using power bricks as a panini press

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DicktheCat posted:

Poorly, it's not going to get hot enough to trigger the Maillard reaction and so he's just going to get a warm soggy sandwich.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kwyndig posted:

Poorly, it's not going to get hot enough to trigger the Maillard reaction and so he's just going to get a warm soggy sandwich.

would

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why would the maillard reaction be involved in reheating a pre-baked pastry

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm really glad my mother got me involved with the cooking from a very young age and had me actually cooking dinner by the time I was 10. I'm still not a great cook, but it was enough to make me 90th percentile among people I personally know.

One of my friends was visiting and attempted to help out with food prep by cutting a potato while they were holding it in their hand instead of setting it down on the cutting board. Fingat, etc.

This, but with cleaning and ironing.

I had to teach my wife how to wash clothing in college, and still can't get over that she- a 19 year old college student- didn't know how to sort a basic pile of clothing while I had been doing things like ironing delicate dresses since elementary school.

I wish I had been taught to cook proper, but I knew enough growing up to cut things well enough, and do a few basics. Following a recipe has never been an issue for me, at least. Some people seem to have problems with that, and I'm not sure why?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DicktheCat posted:

as a sausage roll warmer

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

as a sausage roll warmer

Tell your mom I said “Hi”

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0BbWZoiRdQ

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Probably blew out half the filter in the process. Doesn't do you any good to get the dust out if you shred the filter.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good lifehack
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s2ehi37nzw1r0uzl6.mp4

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Merry Christmas I got you "my hair is a tree"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIAK1fWckA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm really glad my mother got me involved with the cooking from a very young age and had me actually cooking dinner by the time I was 10. I'm still not a great cook, but it was enough to make me 90th percentile among people I personally know.

One of my friends was visiting and attempted to help out with food prep by cutting a potato while they were holding it in their hand instead of setting it down on the cutting board. Fingat, etc.

I was at a friend’s house and he was peeling potatoes for his large family. But he was using a small paring knife and it was taking him minutes to do each potato. I just wanted to scream at him to buy a loving potato peeler. It’ll take a few seconds and your kids won’t starve to death waiting!