Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
When did they start being called "Life Hacks"? When I was a kid they were called "Household Hints" or something, and there were always a few in just about every newspaper or magazine. Cleaning things by rubbing half a lemon all over them was one that showed up a lot, usually it just ended up with a load of lemon pulp getting spread all over the thing you were cleaning and mixed into the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Opening the bag all the way down the middle and unfolding it into a flat sheet with a big pile of crisps in the middle is normal in some places (in the UK at least) for sharing them at a table. But chopsticks is a new one on me.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Every time I watch this, it seems like the kid's head snaps forward more and more violently.

And, unless they thoroughly wash the vacuum cleaner or they have a separate vacuum cleaner for hair styling, the kid's hair's going to be covered in fluff and dirt from the floors.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Drink a beer and use your laptop while pooping after you get home from work.

No, you're meant to do all the pooping at work so your boss pays for the loo paper. And just hold it in on evenings and weekends.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

MrAptronym posted:

I would watch a show by someone who finds real people who think they are experts on things they actually are terrible at. Well... I guess that's just Youtube, but like a real TVshow about it would be neat.

There was a short-lived show in the UK called "Help Yourself", presented by Angus Deayton. He showed clips from terrible self-help or instructional videos and made fun of them. I think there are a few episodes on YouTube still.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
It's a UK magazine that mentions Shakira, so that means this must've been from about 2002 at the earliest. :aaa: I thought all these things were from old vintage mags. I wanted to believe that.

edit:

MrAptronym posted:

Thank you. I can't believe this existed 8 years back, before youtube was big. Some of the older videos are proof that there have always been loons I guess.

Most of the videos featured were actually VHS tapes that were actually for sale in self-help, exercise or self-teaching sections of shops and libraries. Not just on YouTube, some people paid money to see "How To Massage Your Cat".

Stottie Kyek has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jul 21, 2014

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

AlbieQuirky posted:

Wine oxidizes within 48 hours. Even if you refrigerate it (which is gross with red wine anyway).

I wish I could drink more, but my stomach is busted.

Wine-freezing rules. As does my spaghetti sauce, thanks to the wine-freezing.

Get a hand vacuum pump and rubber stopper, Vacu Vin and various home stores do them. You stop up the bottle and pump out all the air and it won't oxidise. It's not a life hack though, it's just a product for that purpose.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Isn't "I have a headache" just a gentle way of saying "not right now" or "no"? People don't usually literally mean it as "the only thing stopping us from having sex is my headache".

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
This has been going around my Facebook friends. http://www.viralnova.com/eating-foods-wrong/

It's got a few familiar ones in it, like cutting a cupcake in half and smashing it together again, cutting up ice-cream tubs and doing various things with Oreos, but there are some extra stupid ones in there too. Like threading chunks of hot dog onto raw spaghetti strands before boiling them, heating pizza in a waffle iron and smearing a mango all over the inside of a beer mug.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Trilineatus posted:

Survival Tips for Living Along

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/24-survival-tips-for-living-alone#ngit48

I'm just... I'm just... so alone :saddowns:

I'm imagining someone doing this at a beach. Just spackling on a paint rollers worth of sunscreen.

That'd be a good way to get a lot of freckles if you wanted to for some reason. Unless you used a ton of sunscreen all the little spots you'd miss because of the paint roller texture would turn brown.

Where are you supposed to put the roller afterwards anyway? On your towel, and cover it in greasy sunscreen? On the beach and get a load of sand stuck to it? On a paint tray you've brought to the beach too?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Karma Monkey posted:

If someone does this, please post a thread link here. TIA :)

Content: I don't think we've had this one yet:

No need for flavoured syrups when you can just use mint-flavoured dental floss!

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
So do you put it on a heatproof mat on your lap, wait until all the food goes cold, or serve the hot food on a normal plate?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Lifehack: show your partner a great time in bed by TALKING to the poor bastard and asking them what they like instead of doing daft poo poo off Tumblr

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Rogue Warrior was the best exception. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
My boyfriend just used his Xbox controller to keep a tub of Twiglets standing upright on the sofa so he can eat them without having to hold the tub to stop them falling over. I'm not sure if this is good or really stupid, either way it's ridiculous and a "lifehack".