Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so i bought the most recent humble bundle for $1.50 and got bioshock, xcom whatever, and the darkness II. i know bioshock is good but what about the others? thank u for your time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I don't know about Darkness II, but Bureau is pretty bad.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I thought it was pretty bad. It might be because the reboot was so good though.

[e] It also did some pretty loving dumb stuff with the story if you cared about the lore/atmosphere of xcom

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It reminds me of Alpha Protocol with Mass Effect style combat controls and it has a focus on actual cool strategy like having your guys flank a dude while you run in all manlike with a shotgun and take them out

if you skip dialogue it skips multiple lines you don't see in subtitles though and that's a dealbreaker

i thought for a minute you meant xcom enforcer

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
For a buck fifty does it matter how bad it is?

It was an okay squad cover shooter, but didnt really do anything to distinguish itself and as others have mentioned the plot was dumb

Dec 26, 2012

Night Shade posted:

For a buck fifty does it matter how bad it is?

is your time worthless?

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

01011001 posted:

is your time worthless?

Depends how bored I am.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
It's bad. Well, cya.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hm. i dont care much about the story because i've never really played any x-com games, so maybe it won't be as bad since it isn't runing anything i already love. this darkness game has pretty fun combat but is full of interminable cutscenes and an uncompelling story

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Darkness 2 has the most amazing gore system. You can literally tear people in half horizontally AND vertically. It's one of the only games with bisection gore, along with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Conker Reloaded, Dead Space, L4D and Syndicate (also by Starbreeze) that I can think of.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fandyien posted:

so i bought the most recent humble bundle for $1.50 and got bioshock, xcom whatever, and the darkness II. i know bioshock is good but what about the others? thank u for your time

Darkness 2 is p.good.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Fandyien posted:

Lol!! NIce troll dude attempt, dude, but you kinda tipped your hand at the end there. Bioshock is good... haha.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

it sucks because the the original XCOM shooter looked real cool but then people whined their way into a boring strategy game instead of a game with weird extrademinsional aliens and poo poo.

i don't give a single poo poo about xcom so I was actually excited for the shooter. and then they hosed it up

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

also I'd buy that pack if darkness 1 was on pc. I ain't playing no sequel unless I play the first one first.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

zen death robot posted:

lol, like you actually play any of your steam games

r u stalking me

also what happened to my gangtag buster <:mad:>

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

zen death robot posted:

lol, like you actually play any of your steam games

i've been thinking about doing a video thread where you play your steam games that you never play and do mini-lp of your impression of them

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Is it like Freedom Fighters, if it is then maybe I'll try it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cosby Onahole posted:

That would sell me too.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Cosby Onahole posted:

Please don't tease

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

it sucks because the the original XCOM shooter looked real cool but then people whined their way into a boring strategy game instead of a game with weird extrademinsional aliens and poo poo.

i don't give a single poo poo about xcom so I was actually excited for the shooter. and then they hosed it up

This is pretty much how I feel too, The Bureau ended up being both a poor strategy game and a poor shooter.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ForeverSmug posted:

it looked like loving poo poo lmfao

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

*Generic shooter where you fight black blobs and hexagons* "Looks awesome!"

The only good thing about The Bureau is that they included the stupid private eye fedora as a hat in Enemy Within.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I bought the bundle for a dollar and darkness 2 is fairly entertaining well that's my story, good dollar spent

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it looked like loving poo poo lmfao

I would much rather have the best squad based tactic game in years and a bad shooter then a mediocre alien fps and no strategy game.

Even without the outcry I can't imagine the original xcom shooter being anything but a syndicate, a ok shooter that everybody forgets the existence of 3 months after release.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i honestly thought the new XCOM wasnt very good but the FPS looked loving horrendous, like, completely unimaginative poo poo

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i think the beaura would have been a better game if instead of focusing on poo poo that doesn't matter they created a bunch of good horde-oriented arena maps with a techtree progression. instead of that you spend a lot of gametime in a base talking to people who have boring things to say and then there's some noble sacrifice scenes laboring under the assumption you care about the characters.

the gameplay is actually not that awful but it takes some getting used to before you feel confident in sending your mans out to do flanking attacks that feel good to do.

the main dude has a gravelly voice.

edit: i guess in the end i wouldn't recommend it. like i said mechanically the game is not terrible, but there's just so much other bullshit in the way. i don't want to go to base. i don't want this dumb cutscene with this dumb character. i don't want to see the intense homoerotic tension between the player character and the dashing mustached male support character. i want to hide behind cover, tell a sniper to run to a haybale on the other side of the farm and order my assault to throw down a distracting holo-soldier to flush the aliens out of cover and get headshot. but that doesn't happen enough to warrant the game imo

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Darkness 2 is a p-good game in my opinion.

• Locked thread