Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh is bigger than Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo, and Green Bay. Its only a few hundred thousand people smaller than Denver, Baltimore, St Louis, and Tampa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Sash! posted:

Pittsburgh is bigger than Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo, and Green Bay. Its only a few hundred thousand people smaller than Denver, Baltimore, St Louis, and Tampa.

I would never have thought that since its population has halved since the 80s

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Chicago has the population, but they really, really like the one they already have

They could easily support the Packers as well, but they obviously aren't going anywhere.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

Chicago has the population, but they really, really like the one they already have

They really really really like the Cubs but the Whitesox do fine.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I would never have thought that since its population has halved since the 80s

Unlike a lot of the rust belt, Pittsburgh has successfully reinvented itself as a hub of banking and finance, bio-tech, and other health care industries.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ooh, have two in London, one in Paris, and one in the great football loving nation of Spain.

si se puede

vamos los madrid futbol norteamericano matadores

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Sash! posted:

By MSA it's 22nd, and while it's only a few hundred thousand smaller than those cities you named, it's got an even smaller margin between it and Cincinnati, Cleveland, and KC, as well as Orlando, SA, Portland, and Sacramento. Really once you get past Seattle (#15) they're all within a few hundred thousand of each other, and mostly in the 2.x mil range.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KettleWL posted:

By MSA it's 22nd, and while it's only a few hundred thousand smaller than those cities you named, it's got an even smaller margin between it and Cincinnati, Cleveland, and KC, as well as Orlando, SA, Portland, and Sacramento. Really once you get past Seattle (#15) they're all within a few hundred thousand of each other, and mostly in the 2.x mil range.

And most importantly the Steelers are doing well financially and the fans support them. So it really doesn't matter how the city itself does as long as the NFL keeps cranking out cash from there.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

wheez the roux posted:

vamos los madrid futbol norteamericano matadores

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

swickles posted:

Unlike a lot of the rust belt, Pittsburgh has successfully reinvented itself as a hub of banking and finance, bio-tech, and other health care industries.

And panhandling. I get asked for money more often in any weekend in Pittsburgh than I do in DC in a month.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MrLogan posted:

And panhandling. I get asked for money more often in any weekend in Pittsburgh than I do in DC in a month.

I was never asked for money once from 1986 to 2003 or 2007 to 2010.

I'm up to four today alone in DC.

Are you dressed like the monopoly guy because you might be asking for it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Listen nobody but nobody panhandles like the bums in San Francisco. My home town homies have aggressive panhandling down to an art form (and an industry).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MrLogan posted:

Sash! posted:

I was never asked for money once from 1986 to 2003 or 2007 to 2010.

I'm up to four today alone in DC.

Are you dressed like the monopoly guy because you might be asking for it

For real, having lived in both cities I have never seen a panhandler in Pittsburgh but have seen a ton in DC.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

For real, having lived in both cities I have never seen a panhandler in Pittsburgh but have seen a ton in DC.

Your homeless probably all die in the Winter.

Edit

Vvvv
Bushman owned. :sigh:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 7, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Pan handling has refined to the point where some panhandlers got famous. RIP bushman.

E: this is San Francisco that is.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
ruh roh raggy

quote:

(08-06) 11:14 PDT Oakland -- The A's have begun talks with an architect to build a baseball-only stadium at the Oakland Coliseum site, A's owner Lew Wolff said Wednesday.
"I've always loved Oakland. I love our fans. But we need a new venue," he said. "We're going to make our sincerest effort to do that."
Wolff's comments came on the heels of the Oakland Coliseum board unanimously ratifying a 10-year contract with the team, which keeps them in Oakland at least through the 2018 season.
Appearing with Oakland and Alameda County leaders at he Coliseum offices, Wolff said he was relieved to get the contract signed after 15 months of often tense negotiations and was looking forward to building the team a new stadium.
"(The Coliseum board) has been our landlord for almost 50 years. This lease is very important to us," he said. "It was a little more confusing than we thought it would be, but at the end of the day we're all in the same family. ... Now we've got a winning streak in Major League Baseball as well as with the (Coliseum board)."
The ratification followed months of debate between the Oakland City Council, Alameda County Board of Supervisors, the Coliseum board and A's leaders over the details of the lease, on topics ranging from a new scoreboard to the impact on the Oakland Raiders to the A's ability to build a new stadium.
Alameda County Supervisor Nate Miley was elated to finally get the contract signed.
"This is extremely important and gratifying for the City of Oakland, Alameda County and the entire region," he said. "It's just fantastic. It symbolizes our mutual respect and desire to work together."
Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, City Council members Rebecca Kaplan, Larry Reid and Noel Gallo, as well as Wolff and the rest of the Coliseum board, signed baseballs and a wooden bat to celebrate.
"It's been a long, frustrating 15 months," said Reid, who sits on the Coliseum board. "Now we can begin talking about building a new stadium."

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/A-s-approach-architect-about-building-a-new-5672384.php

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Good.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Enjoy playing in Levi's, where all the colors are red and gold, and there's a gigantic SF logo on the front pavilion (even though it's in Santa Clara). Oh and giant banners of 49ers players everywhere. And a museum of 49ers memorabilia.

But it's totally a bay area sports venue, not a 49ers stadium.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:ughh:

I stand by my previous assertion: move them to Las Vegas and open the blood gates.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sacramento Raiders would actually make a lot of sense. Oakland fans can still get to games (it'll suck but it's straight up I-80), there's a big untapped market there, Sacramento has lots of room so I bet there's someplace you could plonk down a stadium, and it'd be thematically appropriate that our state's capital wears a pirate brand.

e. for example looking at google maps, there's lots of unused open flat space next to Raley Field, which is on the river, right next to freeways, etc.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 7, 2014

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Billionaire Red McCombs told the San Antonio Express-News on Wednesday that he and his family would be interested in buying a piece of the Oakland Raiders "if that's what it would take to get them" to San Antonio.

quote:

McCombs, however, said he's not sure whether Raiders owner Mark Davis would seek out local investors if he was to relocate the team.

"But I told him if he wanted some, they wouldn't be hard to get," he told the newspaper.

Davis and two high-ranking Raiders front-office personnel met with several city officials in July about the potential of moving his team from Oakland to San Antonio, the Express-News reported last month. McCombs and Spurs owner Peter Holt also were at the meeting.

Davis has acknowledged the visit in a statement he released last month.

McCombs, who owned the Minnesota Vikings from 1998 until 2004, told the Express-News on Wednesday that Davis' visit couldn't "have gone better."

McCombs told the newspaper that it is his belief there is a "definite possibility there may be a relocation" and he doesn't think San Antonio is being used as a "bargaining chip."

The Raiders need a new stadium -- the current lease at O.co Coliseum will expire after this upcoming season -- and had previously, in a roundabout way, been linked to San Antonio, Los Angeles and Portland, Oregon, as well as nearby Concord and Dublin in the East Bay.

In his statement last month, Davis specifically mentioned former San Antonio Mayor Henry Cisneros, citing him as a friend who suggested he meet with city officials. McCombs said Wednesday that Cisneros could be the key if the Raiders relocate to South Texas.

"Mr. Davis was impressed by Henry -- pure and simple," McCombs told the newspaper. "I don't know whether it's a long way from a deal or whatever, but at least there was an opening there and we have a leader to take charge."

McCombs acknowledged to the Express-News the odds might be against San Antonio to land the Raiders, but he thinks the city has solidified itself as a contender if Davis decides to relocate the team.

"For a guy to pick up and move from a place he's been as long as he's been there, that takes a lot," McCombs told the newspaper. "It may not happen. But you got to be in the game, you've got to give yourself a chance, and that's what Henry's doing."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...//bit.ly/zzSpRY

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Concord? I live in Concord. There is no way we're building a billion dollar football stadium in loving Concord.

Dublin I could sort of believe.

e. oh they mean at the naval weapons station. Naw, I mean there's a ton of unused space out there, but A) it's basically a superfund site and B) the transportation out to there sucks rear end.

e 2. LOL. Mark Davis thinks Santa Clara isn't part of the Bay Area - and neither is Dublin, which he liked more than Concord.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 7, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

Sacramento Raiders would actually make a lot of sense. Oakland fans can still get to games (it'll suck but it's straight up I-80), there's a big untapped market there, Sacramento has lots of room so I bet there's someplace you could plonk down a stadium, and it'd be thematically appropriate that our state's capital wears a pirate brand.

e. for example looking at google maps, there's lots of unused open flat space next to Raley Field, which is on the river, right next to freeways, etc.

That would own but the traffic would be terrible. I always took 680 from San Jose to Sac and there are long stretches of winding two lane highway that would probably become a parking lot. The twists and turns of the highway are pretty gentle, but for some reason California drivers always come to a stop for a mild curve on the highway.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chichevache posted:

California drivers always come to a stop for a mild curve on the highway.

This doesnt only happen in California. NC drivers are Real Bad (I wont say The Worst because I dont want to start a "my state's drivers are the worst" chat).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chichevache posted:

That would own but the traffic would be terrible. I always took 680 from San Jose to Sac and there are long stretches of winding two lane highway that would probably become a parking lot. The twists and turns of the highway are pretty gentle, but for some reason California drivers always come to a stop for a mild curve on the highway.

680 doesn't go to sacramento, it goes through concord and up to I-80. People in Oakland would just take I-80. The 680 corridor between Concord and I-80 is two lanes, as you said, so it's horrible for carrying a lot of traffic, which would make it harder for me personally to go up there.

e. Oh you said from San Jose. Yeah that drive even on a saturday, sheesh. Going up the Sunol Grade everyone drops from 75 down to 50 even in the left lane. Lots of twisty areas of 3 lanes with slow fuckers hogging the left lane who then speed up to 85 on the straight downhill and get all pissed because you drove around them when they were doing 55 and now you're trying to stick to 75 and you're IN THEIR WAY HOW DARE YOU PASS, uggggh.

I'd take 680 over 880 though. 880 on a weekday commute is a war zone.

Or did you mean, putting the team in Concord? The Naval Weapons Station is closer to highway 4. It is right off North Concord BART, so supposedly there could be a BART linkup, but people want to tailgate and that means horrific traffic from Oakland - over 24 (there's a new bore in the caldecott tunnel, so that part isn't as terrible as it used to be), a little piece of 680 which is fine at that point (like 5 lanes each way), and then little bits of 242 (fine) and 4 (two-lane tiny highway). A lot of interchanges, a lot of merging, the traffic will suck and back up even on Sunday games, and on a Monday night or Thursday night game it would be a goddamn nightmare.

Not that driving to sactown from the bay area would be any better, mind you. I-80 has way more capacity, but that capacity is generally pretty full, and it's a lot further to travel.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 7, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Tailgating in an old naval weapons station sounds pretty badass.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

680 doesn't go to sacramento, it goes through concord and up to I-80. People in Oakland would just take I-80. The 680 corridor between Concord and I-80 is two lanes, as you said, so it's horrible for carrying a lot of traffic, which would make it harder for me personally to go up there.

poo poo, you're right. I moved away over a year ago and I'm already forgetting how to travel there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Tailgating in an old naval weapons station sounds pretty badass.

You'd think, but it's just acres of mounds where they buried all the little weapons huts that they used for storing ammunition and explosives. I think the actual build site would just be a corner of the area where there's some parking and a building or two.

I'm not sure how much is left there that would be cool to look at though. The Navy had to strip the place down in order to do a very long elaborate cleanup of all the horrible toxic poo poo they leached into the ground for the last century.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know if Sacramento could really support a NFL team. When I was still there the Kings had positively abysmal attendance to games, and no one cared at all.

There are quite a few "Raiders" fans there, but talking with them I always got the sense they were more interested in Raiders merchandise as a fashion statement than actually caring about the team. It might be an idea if they can pull it off though, and would be better for Oakland Raiders fans than the team moving to LA.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I mean I haven't seen a single place where anyone has suggested a move to Sacramento, so it's not likely. I just think it could possibly work.

The Kings don't have a big following in Sacramento, that's true, but the Raiders come with a built-in audience in the bay area and it'd be a shame to lose them (I'm talking broadcast rights, not just physical game attendees). Adding the entire sacramento metro area for broadcast rights would help to reduce the sting of losing the stadium in the bay area.

The Kings I think have a tough time competing for eyeballs with the Warriors, but apparently they were just sold last year for a record amount of money and apparently they're going to build a new stadium? Imagine a combo park similar to Oakland, with an indoor basketball arena and outdoor football stadium. That would be cool.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
One of the two functional stretches of Amtrak in the country runs from San Jose to Sacramento, for what it's worth.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

One of the two functional stretches of Amtrak in the country runs from San Jose to Sacramento, for what it's worth.

I've ridden that stretch a bunch, it is awesome. The drinks are cheap as hell so you could even pregame on the ride over.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I mean I haven't seen a single place where anyone has suggested a move to Sacramento, so it's not likely. I just think it could possibly work.

The Kings don't have a big following in Sacramento, that's true, but the Raiders come with a built-in audience in the bay area and it'd be a shame to lose them (I'm talking broadcast rights, not just physical game attendees). Adding the entire sacramento metro area for broadcast rights would help to reduce the sting of losing the stadium in the bay area.

The Kings I think have a tough time competing for eyeballs with the Warriors, but apparently they were just sold last year for a record amount of money and apparently they're going to build a new stadium? Imagine a combo park similar to Oakland, with an indoor basketball arena and outdoor football stadium. That would be cool.

To be fair the main reason people didn't follow the Kings was because they sucked pretty hard (at least when I was living there ~4 years ago). If you had a winning team like the... *cough*Raiders*cough*. Things might be different.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, like the Raiders, the Kings were badly in need of a new facility. It's hard to convince people to pay money to go hang out at a shithole on sunday afternoon.

Sucking up the place is of course bad for ticket sales too, but the raiders have a very hardcore fanbase that persisted even during the LA years. I think the Kings have a similar fanbase. It might make sense to build a smaller stadium, since more people these days watch games in their home theaters or in bars and stuff rather than going to the game. Go for a modest size, like maybe 50k to 60k seats, and you'll be more likely to sell out (and thus avoid blackouts).

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

will_colorado posted:

Here's a list of the most populous metro areas of the US: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/largest-cities-list.php

If you add even 4 teams based on that, it would be LA, Portland, Sacramento, and San Antonio. Would San Antonio also be able to draw from the Austin area as well?

Very much so. For one, it's a much shorter and less aggravating drive from Austin to San Antonio. There's plenty of football fans here and we could easily support a team. Especially if they go against Dallas. I dunno. There's just something about Dallas. It's just a hair too far to go for a game without making a weekend of it if you hate sitting in a car for hours. Houston and San Antonio are just right. For me anyway.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Oakland Coliseum's homefield advantage includes the rally possum.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rabid Snake posted:

Oakland Coliseum has a real problem with vermin.

They've also get a lot of animals showing up on the field too. :v:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Rabid Snake posted:

What a dumb rip-off of the Rally Monkey

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rabid Snake posted:

Sign Rally Possum as a dual sports star, start him and Kickoff Pidgeon at WR.

Raiders go 12-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leperflesh posted:

Also, like the Raiders, the Kings were badly in need of a new facility. It's hard to convince people to pay money to go hang out at a shithole on sunday afternoon.

Didn't stop Niners fans all those years.

• Locked thread