Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
2014 League Page
Donation Page
Donation Tracker

2013 Original Thread

Cheating for Charity is a Fantasy Football League. Each team represents a charity that the member is playing for. At the end of the season the charity of the winning team gets all of the winnings from the season. No league fees or other expenses are taken from the pot. A key part of the game is to encourage additional donations by "cheating." The cheating rule is simple; the team gets a point added to their total for every $1 that is donated towards their charity before the Thursday Night Football game. Teams are limited to no more than ten bonus points relative to their opponent. So if team A received $20 and donation and team B received $5 in donations, team A would receive 15 bonus points and team B would receive 5.

Last year we raised $1036 that was split between two hospitals for children. The winners were festooned with awesome prizes, and this year I've already had several promises for repeat sponsorship. Once I verify their participation I'll start listing them here.

The Rules
None of these are set in stone, if a majority of players wants to tweak something feel free to suggest it.

Roster: QB/2RB/2WR/TE/FLX/DST/PK
Bench: 7 Players

Scoring is standard ESPN with minor tweaks and 0.5 PPR. See scoring in League rules.

Schedule
Head-to-head games from weeks 1 to 14. Championship rounds in week 15 and 16. 4 top teams based on W/L will face off in playoffs for ultimate victory in The Charity Bowl.

Cheating!
To encourage donations there are two ways to cheat. The first is that waivers will be handled using a FAAB where the amount of money donated is your spending pool. Really want that hot waiver wire pick? Donate some money and outspend the competition!

The second method is the Mulligan rule. Players may spend funds from their FAAB to swap out starters with high performing players from their bench. The cost of swapping a player out is the difference in points rounded up. These changes must be declared before kickoff of the first game on Thursday. No, you cannot swap a low performing bench player for a high performing starter to add money to your FAAB. You can, however, swap players from your starting lineup to your bench multiple times in order to rearrange the players to maximize your score. In this case you would pay every time the starter was replaced by a bench player who scored more points. Because I can't edit rosters after each week, the weekly score will instead be modified by the number of dollars spent.

FAAB dollars can be traded as part of a deal. Make the announcement here and I will adjust the budgets accordingly.

The Teams

Team 1 - Beer4TheBeerGod - Space Robot Squad - FIRST Robotics Competition Team 3650
The FIRST Robotics competition is a chance for high school students to learn science and engineering with the aid of teachers and mentors. Student teams work together to construct complex robots designed to compete in a sports-like competition. The robots are fairly large and expensive to construct. FIRST is what really got me into engineering, and I've been working with a local team. If I win the money will go directly towards making an awesome robot and helping the students participate in the competition. http://www.roboraptorsfrcteam3650.com/

Team 2 - Azhais - The Nature Boy - Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center
My uncle was a huge supporter of theirs and died mid-season last year, so I figure I might as well go with it for this year over my usual "random good cause" approach to charity donations. Founded in 1971, Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center was the first environmental learning center in the nation to be accredited as a K-12 school and is recognized nationally and internationally as a leader in environmental education. During the school year, more than 15,000 children, teachers and parent chaperones head to our campus to have their own adventure in learning. Our students come from all over, from more than 165 schools in communities across Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin because of our unique location – located south of the Boundary Waters and overlooking the North Shore of Minnesota’s Lake Superior. http://wolf-ridge.org/

Team 3 - Smarms - Johnny's 8 Ball - Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Greater Cincinnati
Big Brothers Big Sisters targets the children who need us most, including those living in single parent homes, growing up in poverty and coping with parental incarceration. Starting something begins with finding a great match between a Big and a Little. Making these matches, and performing all the background work involved with them, is possible because of donations from people like you. It's also why we're able to offer such a wide variety of programs that pair children, ages 7 through 14, with role models in one-to-one relationships. http://www.bigsforkids.org/

Team 4 - uublog - Marino Killed Snowflake - Dan Marino Foundation
I think the theme here is that you have to donate to children to win, and this is both local, and something I've been involved with and donated money to before, thus I don't have to be original. It serves children with neurodevelopmental disabilities, which isn't as impressive as ones who are dying but I figure we should have some variety to this. Plus, a second league where Marino could get a ring, so cheers to that. http://www.danmarinofoundation.org/portal/

Team 5 - jabro - Percy's Hip - Loma Linda University Children's Hospital
My 2 year-old spent 10 days in NICO there when she was born and my newest is about to be born there next Friday if she likes it or not. My friend's 5 year-old was treated for brain cancer at the hospital, too. The most amazing people. http://lomalindahealth.org/childrens-hospital/index.page

Team 6 - Spoeank - Keep Ilsa Vista Beautiful - Isla Vista Victims Fund
I went to UC Santa Barbara, and I knew the guy whose shop was shot into (where one of the people died) as my fiancee worked there full-time for over a year. I briefly went back last weekend and I was both moved that the town had moved on so admirably and saddened that they had to. I became an adult in IV, it is very close to my heart and it will always be considered "home." https://www.sbfoundation.org/islavista

Team 7 - DrPossum In Your Trash - Northampton Survival Center
This is a place that I have volunteered at in the past. It's a privately run food bank that provides to local families, even if just to supplement what they have to make it to the end of the month. For my time there, it was an eye opener on how many families you might at first glance consider to be "doing OK" end up struggling, especially when faced with things such as sudden loss of employment or just having hours cut. Hunger today has a very different face from the most immediate images that come to mind. http://northamptonsurvival.org/

Team 8 - Sataere - Teachin' Kids To Talk Trash - Harper College Speech & Theater
I want to contribute to a scholarship fund at my old college for their speech team. One of the alums set something up after he graduated, and it is something a bit closer to my heart. My old speech coach said the best thing about that program is that there is no skill more necessary to everyday life. We are always communicating and working to make those skills better. The program he's created is very much a family environment and he is one of the best teachers I've ever known. Even ten years later, I and many alums are coming back to volunteer our time with that program. Another alum actually created a scholarship program specifically for the team just to help out people who were struggling with their education. Helping kids develop their communication skills and making it easier for them to finish college sets them up for future success. http://www.harperspeech.net/speech--debate.html

Team 9 - The Zack - My team is also named Bortles - Health Care Center for the Homeless
Health Care Center for the Homeless (HCCH) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to providing the health care needs of the homeless and uninsured residents of our community in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. Our programs include primary medical care, oral health services, behavioral health and substance abuse counseling, an on-site pharmacy, vision services, a residential TB shelter, mobile health services, and an aggressive street outreach program - the HOPE Team. http://www.hcch.org

Team 10 - Lock - Jimmy V's Gugliatta - The Jimmy V Foundation
There are many things in this world that suck and need money thrown at them to make them suck less. Cancer's one of the bigger ones, and an agency created to raise said money was started by a childhood hero of mine? Let's do it. http://www.jimmyv.org/

Team 11 - Aredna - Team Name - Illuminate Academy
My sister works with children who "are on the spectrum", which is the current terminology used to describe those with Autistic and Aspergers like behaviors. Her line of work is in behavioral therapy which focuses on assisting children with these symptoms to communicate and function in the world better. Her success stories include children communicating clearly with their families where they had never spoken a word before. I asked her for charities in her field that could use the money and she recommended a local non-profit started by a friend of hers a year ago by the name of Illuminate Academy. They focus on providing a tailored learning environment to children on the spectrum to allow them to further their education. http://illuminateacademy.org/

Team 12 - Teeter - That Guy - charity:water
Women and children in Africa and other areas of the world spend a significant portion of their day collecting water that is often unprotected and contaminated. Access to clean water helps by not only improving sanitation and preventing disease but by also freeing women and children to pursue education and empower themselves. I've chosen charity:water because they pride themselves on transparency of their projects and maximizing the amount that donations go straight to where they're needed. http://www.charitywater.org

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
YES YES YES YES YES

It's back y'all

I'll have my team details in soon, working out some moneys issues

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

This was fun last year. Not sure if I'm going to stay in it, but if I do I'm going to have my buddy as a co-owner so we can throw more money in (and actually draft my own team instead of taking over a team with 4 QBs)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Im in again. Hopefully I don't put up half the prize pool again :argh:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm in. I just woke up but I will edit this with my details later.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Sure I can suck then lose again. I'm not gonna get cute and actively go against beer sheets again this year.

Charity TBD (not like it matters).

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
If you need someone to fill a spot from last season, I'd be interested in playing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I will gladly expand the league to accommodate anyone who wants to play. Even if it means running two parallel leagues.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

This year I plan on contributing a lot more towards cheating. I was strapped last year. I also had a suggestion to change one of the mechanisms. I think there should be a cheat option to get players you benched into the starting lineup. If you want to make it interesting, you can make an equal mechanism that prevents people from doing this.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

This year I plan on contributing a lot more towards cheating. I was strapped last year. I also had a suggestion to change one of the mechanisms. I think there should be a cheat option to get players you benched into the starting lineup. If you want to make it interesting, you can make an equal mechanism that prevents people from doing this.

What would you suggest? I'm all for anything.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What would you suggest? I'm all for anything.

Well, I was thinking you could do it two ways. First, lets say Peyton Manning scored 20 points, but Jay Cutler was sitting on your bench with 44 points. If you want Cutler's points, you have to pay $1 per point scored, for a total of $24 to get those extra points. To make it really interesting, you could allow opponents (or hell, just anyone) to pay the same amount to not use those points. Set a deadline on when it needs to be by. So hypothetically, I could pay that $24, but my opponent might pay $24 to make it nil, unless I once again paid $24. It could make for a very interesting mechanic.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

No thoughts?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That overlaps with the existing cheating mechanic, although we could make it so that instead of raw free points you would have to actually have players who scored more to get the bonus. That would continue to emphasize skill.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I don't think it would overlap. You could still buy the additional points on Thursday. After the games are all played on Monday night, it would be a secondary cheat based on the performance of your team that previous week. You could make it so they have to buy their bench score by Wednesday.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The other side of the coin is that allowing both mechanisms would put a greater emphasis on points over skill, since now you can not only buy your way to a 10 point advantage but also buy extra players.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I don't know that it takes away from skill. If the guy is on your bench, you obviously drafted him. :v:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Maybe shorten the bench; fewer people owned means fewer people getting random-rear end massive games from scrubs?

Also maybe limit the use of that mechanic to a couple times a year? That seems like a lot of work for B4TBG.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

Maybe shorten the bench; fewer people owned means fewer people getting random-rear end massive games from scrubs?

Also maybe limit the use of that mechanic to a couple times a year? That seems like a lot of work for B4TBG.

He's been spending too much time on beer sheets anyway!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

He's been spending too much time on beer sheets anyway!

Yeah I should do something more productive with my life.

What does everyone else think? Should we add a mechanic to swap players, use that mechanic to replace the existing cheating mechanic entirely, or keep things as they are now?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm honestly cool with whatever the consensus is. I'm just throwing out ideas

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah this is definitely the time to do it.

Also when do we want to draft? After the third week of preseason presumably.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don't care if we change to the swap player mechanic but if we do then it should be in place of the one from last year.

I'm pretty open to draft whenever but strongly prefer after preseason week 3.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like swapping players over straight up points.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

After the third preseason game is a must. I'm pretty flexible after that. This time I will be sure to set my draft order beforehand, so I don't have to subject you guys to my bitching when I show up 30 minutes late. I can't even imagine how good my team would've been if I had grabbed McCoy instead of Rice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's who we have so far:

uublog
Combo
Azhais
jabro
Spoeank
Smarms
Beer4TheBeerGod
Sataere

That's 8 people. Anyone else we can get in on this?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here's who we have so far:

uublog
Combo
Azhais
jabro
Spoeank
Smarms
Beer4TheBeerGod
Sataere

That's 8 people. Anyone else we can get in on this?

Thanks for bumping this. I don't think I paid but could be wrong. Can you verify and if not I'll shoot you some monies.

Also, when can we expect the slush fund page to be up? I'm not playing the karma game this year and would like to start building up my cheat dollars.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'll take care of it today.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Charity Tracker

Donation Website

Let's do this!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tossed $100 at it to get me started.

edit: charity to come

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I'd like to play. Hopefully someone else joins to make it an even 10.

Clever team name and Charity to come later.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Awesome. Find your friends and shame them into joining us!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm interested in this. It'd be a second fantasy league on top of my trad games goon league, and I'll have to think carefully about what charity to support and how much money I can reasonably spend.

One thing I don't quite 'get', though; it seems like part of the idea is, I solicit people (my friends? people on facebook?) to donate to charity by supporting my team so I can also get a leg up on my opponent. But, whoever donates has to be comfortable with their donation going to whichever charity was sponsored by the tournament winner, so they presumably have to look over all the charities and be fine with all of them.

I also assume the donations aren't tax deductible?

My employer matches donations to tax deductible charities, so it might actually be the case that by participating instead of using their donation tool, I wind up giving half as much to charity as I could otherwise. That would be rather silly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, since the donations go to me and I pay the charity directly I would assume it's not tax deductible. I haven't done any paperwork to make it so, although I could look into it.

If it's an issue (same with people not being cool about each charity) then I would suggest donating directly to a good cause instead. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Just dropped $100 into the Wefund site, hope I did it right. I'm good with after 3rd preseason game, or any time really besides the weekend of the 16th of August.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Weekend of the 16th is my family draft so that's a non-starter anyway.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I am donating to the same charity as last year. Time to teach kids how to talk good.

quote:

Teachin' Kids To Talk Trash - Sataere - Harper College Speech & Theater
I want to contribute to a scholarship fund at my old college for their speech team. One of the alums set something up after he graduated, and it is something a bit closer to my heart. My old speech coach said the best thing about that program is that there is no skill more necessary to everyday life. We are always communicating and working to make those skills better. The program he's created is very much a family environment and he is one of the best teachers I've ever known. Even ten years later, I and many alums are coming back to volunteer our time with that program. Another alum actually created a scholarship program specifically for the team just to help out people who were struggling with their education. Helping kids develop their communication skills and making it easier for them to finish college sets them up for future success.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Awesome. We already have nearly $400 donated. How is everyone else doing on charities?

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Mine was attached to my donation, but I am playing for Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Greater Cincinnati: http://www.bigsforkids.org/site/c.buIUJgNUKjL6G/b.6412363/k.EF05/Home_Page.htm

quote:

The Study

Public/Private Ventures, an independent Philadelphia-based national research organization, looked at over 950 boys and girls from eight Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies across the country selected for their large size and geographic diversity. This study, conducted in 1994 and 1995, is widely considered to be foundational to the mentoring field in general and to Big Brothers Big Sisters Community-Based program in particular.
Approximately half of the children were randomly chosen to be matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister. The others were assigned to a waiting list. The matched children met with their Big Brothers or Big Sisters about three times a month for an average of one year.
Researchers surveyed both the matched and unmatched children, and their parents on two occasions: when they first applied for a Big Brother or Big Sister, and again 18 months later.

The Results

Researchers found that after 18 months of spending time with their Bigs, the Little Brothers and Little Sisters, compared to those children not in our program, were:
46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
27% less likely to begin using alcohol
52% less likely to skip school
37% less likely to skip a class
33% less likely to hit someone
They also found that the Littles were more confident of their performance in schoolwork and getting along better with their families.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I think I'm out on this for this year guys, wanted to give you a heads up earlyish so you could find someone else.

Taking that horrible autodrafted team to a winning record was one of the funner things I've done in fantasy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Combo posted:

I think I'm out on this for this year guys, wanted to give you a heads up earlyish so you could find someone else.

Taking that horrible autodrafted team to a winning record was one of the funner things I've done in fantasy, though.

Thanks for the heads up. Best of luck to you!

• Locked thread