Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

If you're doing beersheets again this year I'll throw some money your way for one with my league settings later on though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Aw hell, almost forgot about this. Still room for another? Cancer ain't gonna cure itself yo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah I can do custom sheets, and the more the merrier.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Awesome. Last year was a blast, been looking forward to this group all year.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Lock posted:

Awesome. Last year was a blast, been looking forward to this group all year.

Sweet, I was hoping you'd be back. I'm looking forward to our future trade this season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

So are we at ten teams yet? I'd like to see this get up to 12 again.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Go forth and recruit!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Paid. When are you gonna set up the invites?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
By this weekend. Send me your email address if I don't have it by PM or email my username at Gmail.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's who I have:

Beer4TheBeerGod
uublog
Azhais
jabro
Spoeank
Smarms
Sataere
The Zack
Lock

Also good news; all the major sites who sponsored us last year are back again. Plus Rotoviz. I'll update the OP but we're talking mad prizes yo.

League site is up: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=305284&seasonId=2014

We have some folks who haven't followed up yet, so I've messaged Anubis, Frgrbrgr, jerkstore77, and Good Will Hrunting to see if they're up for more charity ball.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 10, 2014

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think you need to send us invites. I click the link but it doesn't show me as joined.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

I think you need to send us invites. I click the link but it doesn't show me as joined.

My page shows you as joined.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I'm in if there is still room!

charity: Northampton Survival Center http://northamptonsurvival.org/

This is a place that I have volunteered at in the past. It's a privately run food bank that provides to local families, even if just to supplement what they have to make it to the end of the month. For my time there, it was an eye opener on how many families you might at first glance consider to be "doing OK" end up struggling, especially when faced with things such as sudden loss of employment or just having hours cut. Hunger today has a very different face from the most immediate images that come to mind.

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 11, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Awesome, welcome to the league!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I love the idea. I will be half in. Basically, I'm living in Tokyo and have a pretty full schedule for the next month, but if the draft works out such that I can make it without too much trouble I'll join. Don't worry about trying to schedule around me though because it will cut out most of the draft times you all can make it. If I can't get in I'll try to randomly donate to some teams throughout the year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aredna posted:

I love the idea. I will be half in. Basically, I'm living in Tokyo and have a pretty full schedule for the next month, but if the draft works out such that I can make it without too much trouble I'll join. Don't worry about trying to schedule around me though because it will cut out most of the draft times you all can make it. If I can't get in I'll try to randomly donate to some teams throughout the year.

We can work something out, maybe get a fellow goon to draft for you. Can you PM me your email?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
New tally:

Beer4TheBeerGod
uublog
Azhais
jabro
Spoeank
Smarms
Sataere
The Zack
Lock
DrPossum
Aredna

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Nice, just one more for another twelve. Anyone peaking in this thread should know that this was easily the most fun league I was in last year. And if you win, you are helping a good cause. You get rewarded for being a giant sperglord for fantasy football!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm here and ready to cheat excessively. I've always played IDP and 9 bench spots + IR so this is going to be an interesting change up for me.

Google thought my invite was spam so you may see if there's another way to contact some of the people that haven't responded yet.

Depending on when the draft time is I can also see if my brother-in-law can do it in my place.

My sister works with children who "are on the spectrum" to use her politically correct words. She recommended this local non-profit that is ran by a friend of hers that she trusts will use the money wisely. http://illuminateacademy.org/

I'll have to find a suitable team name soon.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 11, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Awesome! I will start putting everything together tomorrow.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I decided I'm playing losing for the Isla Vista Victims Fund. I went to UC Santa Barbara, and I knew the guy whose shop was shot into (where one of the people died) as my fiancee worked there full-time for over a year. I briefly went back last weekend and I was both moved that the town had moved on so admirably and saddened that they had to. I became an adult in IV, it is very close to my heart and it will always be considered "home."

https://www.sbfoundation.org/islavista

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Still room for one more? I followed this a little last year because it was a great concept. I'd be interested in putting something together if I can get in at #12.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Teeter posted:

Still room for one more? I followed this a little last year because it was a great concept. I'd be interested in putting something together if I can get in at #12.

Absolutely! PM me your e-mail address and we'll get this party started.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Awesome! Let's save some babies!

or robots, the homeless, endangered tigers, etc etc. Who knows at this point!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
THE PLAYERS (Seriously more are welcome I don't care let's do this for a good cause!)
Teeter
uublog
Azhais
jabro
The Zack
Lock

Beer4TheBeerGod - FIRST Robotics Competition Team 3650
The FIRST Robotics competition is a chance for high school students to learn science and engineering with the aid of teachers and mentors. Student teams work together to construct complex robots designed to compete in a sports-like competition. The robots are fairly large and expensive to construct. FIRST is what really got me into engineering, and I've been working with a local team. If I win the money will go directly towards making an awesome robot and helping the students participate in the competition.

Spoeank - Isla Vista Victims Fund
I went to UC Santa Barbara, and I knew the guy whose shop was shot into (where one of the people died) as my fiancee worked there full-time for over a year. I briefly went back last weekend and I was both moved that the town had moved on so admirably and saddened that they had to. I became an adult in IV, it is very close to my heart and it will always be considered "home." https://www.sbfoundation.org/islavista

Smarms - Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Greater Cincinnati
Big Brothers Big Sisters targets the children who need us most, including those living in single parent homes, growing up in poverty and coping with parental incarceration. Starting something begins with finding a great match between a Big and a Little. Making these matches, and performing all the background work involved with them, is possible because of donations from people like you. It's also why we're able to offer such a wide variety of programs that pair children, ages 7 through 14, with role models in one-to-one relationships. http://www.bigsforkids.org/

Sataere - Harper College Speech & Theater
I want to contribute to a scholarship fund at my old college for their speech team. One of the alums set something up after he graduated, and it is something a bit closer to my heart. My old speech coach said the best thing about that program is that there is no skill more necessary to everyday life. We are always communicating and working to make those skills better. The program he's created is very much a family environment and he is one of the best teachers I've ever known. Even ten years later, I and many alums are coming back to volunteer our time with that program. Another alum actually created a scholarship program specifically for the team just to help out people who were struggling with their education. Helping kids develop their communication skills and making it easier for them to finish college sets them up for future success.

DrPossum - Northampton Survival Center
This is a place that I have volunteered at in the past. It's a privately run food bank that provides to local families, even if just to supplement what they have to make it to the end of the month. For my time there, it was an eye opener on how many families you might at first glance consider to be "doing OK" end up struggling, especially when faced with things such as sudden loss of employment or just having hours cut. Hunger today has a very different face from the most immediate images that come to mind. http://northamptonsurvival.org/

Aredna - Illuminate Academy
My sister works with children who "are on the spectrum" to use her politically correct words. She recommended this local non-profit that is ran by a friend of hers that she trusts will use the money wisely. http://illuminateacademy.org/

Okay, we need to pick a draft day and move forward with donations and whatnot. It's $25 to start with, and additional funds go towards your ability to cheat. You can keep track of your tally here, and the donation page is here.

This is also a good time to discuss any suggested rules changes. The OP is straight from last year, and I'm happy to hear requests for alternatives. Thanks to everyone we've already raised over $700!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Draft Dates/Times - I prefer a Friday/Saturday evening or any day in the early morning for US times. My plans are kind of busy for now as well so I'm not going to be too picky and if a draft time doesn't work out I'll find someone else to draft on my behalf.

League settings - I would prefer to use a FAAB system and add an IR slot if others are up for it.

I'll write a bit better summary for my charity as well:

Aredna - Illuminate Academy
My sister works with children who "are on the spectrum", which is the current terminology used to describe those with Autistic and Aspergers like behaviors. Her line of work is in behavioral therapy which focuses on assisting children with these symptoms to communicate and function in the world better. Her success stories include children communicating clearly with their families where they had never spoken a word before. I asked her for charities in her field that could use the money and she recommended a local non-profit started by a friend of hers a year ago by the name of Illuminate Academy. They focus on providing a tailored learning environment to children on the spectrum to allow them to further their education. http://illuminateacademy.org/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Just not the 30th/31st. I already have 3 drafts that weekend.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
This weekend and the 29th works well for me. Next week is less good due to work travel, but I think the 20-22nd are the only three evenings I definitely couldn't.

If this gets complicated, I make doodle polls all the time to schedule these types of things: http://doodle.com/

I'm down with FAAB (but I haven't used it before) and an IR slot

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Woah, what if we did a FAAB system where you had to donate your dollars? In that case I would put the $25 "fee" back into the pool for auction dollars.

As for the cheating mechanic, do we want to stick to last year's approach or look at using Sataere's suggestion about using money to have mulligans on players that did better than your starters?

Also here's the Doodle thingy: http://doodle.com/u89xg44mwctbrzkh

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I was just thinking that could be quite fun as well. How hard is it for you to give people additional money throughout the season? Say I really want to pick up Manziel after he has a Foles week and only have $20 left - would I be able to get another $50 added in time?

What are the other cheating mechanisms in place? I personally liked the buying points from your own bench as well, but didn't like the counter as much. I think if I know my opponent always counters I'd be less likely to spend $20 to get it removed. Perhaps if they wanted to counter they would have to also buy points from their own bench?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's trivial to add money, just donate to the charity site.

Right now the system is that everyone has a pool of funds that they can draw from to cheat each week. You declare you're using up a set amount by kickoff on Thursday, and then get a 1 point bonus for every $1. You get up to a 10 point bonus over your opponent, but your opponent can also donate funds to cut into your lead. So if you donate $10 and he donates $5, you get a 5 point bonus. The bonus increases to 20 points for the playoffs.

One thing we could do is use the mulligan mechanic during the regular season, and then add the cheating mechanic back in during the playoffs. That combined with using donated money for your FAAB would be pretty interesting.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I currently have drafts Tue Aug 26 and Sun Aug 31 so I'd prefer to work around those days. Certainly the Tuesday anyway, the 31st starts at 3pm and is a startup dynasty draft so it could go a while but I could do a morning slot.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Woah, what if we did a FAAB system where you had to donate your dollars? In that case I would put the $25 "fee" back into the pool for auction dollars.

:aaaaa: That would be incredible if you can figure out a system that won't drive you crazy. Can league managers see bids and change FA money pools?

quote:

As for the cheating mechanic, do we want to stick to last year's approach or look at using Sataere's suggestion about using money to have mulligans on players that did better than your starters?

I'll defer to the group for what might work bets since people have done it before

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

What's the time zone?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DrPossum posted:

What's the time zone?

Eastern Standard Time

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also here's the Doodle thingy: http://doodle.com/u89xg44mwctbrzkh

I've never played/heard of a FAAB system, but I'm game as long as someone can fill me in on how it works. I'm probably the most scrub-like of the players in this. So I will be losing for charity!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Smarms posted:

I've never played/heard of a FAAB system, but I'm game as long as someone can fill me in on how it works. I'm probably the most scrub-like of the players in this. So I will be losing for charity!

fantasy baseball link, but the process is the same:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=mlbdk2k11faabprimer

basically its like waivers but you also put in a bid amount. you beat someone out if your bid is higher

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I looked it over, and changing to a FAAB would be trivial and probably a lot of fun.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I am cool with whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Okay, we have four people that have responded to the Doodle about drafting, and it looks like the best date thus far is August 29th.

• Locked thread