Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Just jumped in on that. I'd like to push for 10pm on that, because I get out late on Friday's at work. I'll do 8pm if necessary, but if I am late and autodraft Ray Rice again with McCoy on the board, I promise my bitching will be a million times worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm west coast so I did what I could. I may be able to swing one of the 8pm ones if I left work a little early but otherwise I'm mostly in on a late night draft.

I've also bought in so I'm all set and signed up for the league. How did donations work out last year? Did people fund everything themselves or get any donations elsewhere? I'd like to crowdsource a few extra funds but I don't know the best way to have a few bucks tossed in here and there.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm going to have to back out... I'm not going to be able to make the draft & I would rather someone who is on the wait list be able to fully participate. Let me know if you're interested & I can delete my squad.

It stinks but that's that. v:shobon:v

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If you can make a time other than the 29th, I'm ok to be the one that doesn't make the draft and will have someone do it in my place if I can't make another time work.

And if you can't make any times, have someone else do it in your place. You can always cheat to win.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Actually! I will be driving but my fiancee agreed to control the draft for me (because we'll be driving to go do chores for her family). Luckily my company gives me a mobile wifi hotspot :cool: . Forget I said anything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hooray!

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
My team name is My team is also named Bort.

My charity is Health Care Center for the Homeless https://www.hcch.org:

quote:

Health Care Center for the Homeless (HCCH) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to providing the health care needs of the homeless and uninsured residents of our community in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. Our programs include primary medical care, oral health services, behavioral health and substance abuse counseling, an on-site pharmacy, vision services, a residential TB shelter, mobile health services, and an aggressive street outreach program - the HOPE Team.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Not sure I can make the 29th. I'll be working then. But if it works for everyone else, I'm ok with setting my preferences and letting autodraft ruin my team for me.

I'll be working to win money for The Jimmy V Foundation again. There are many things in this world that suck and need money thrown at them to make them suck less. Cancer's one of the bigger ones, and an agency created to raise said money was started by a childhood hero of mine? Let's do it. http://www.jimmyv.org/

Lock fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 18, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lock posted:

Not sure I can make the 29th. I'll be working then. But if it works for everyone else, I'm ok with setting my preferences and letting autodraft ruin my team for me.

I'll be working to win money for The Jimmy V Foundation again. There are many things in this world that suck and need money thrown at them to make them suck less. Cancer's one of the bigger ones, and an agency created to raise said money was started by a childhood hero of mine? Let's do it. http://www.jimmyv.org/

Sorry man, it looks like everyone else can make it.

I have another draft that same day at 8:00PM that I just found out about, so can we settle on Friday, August 29th at 10:00 PM?

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
I'm good for Friday night. What timezone is 10:00 PM?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sorry man, it looks like everyone else can make it.

I have another draft that same day at 8:00PM that I just found out about, so can we settle on Friday, August 29th at 10:00 PM?

Assuming 10EST I'm cool with that

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

Assuming 10EST I'm cool with that

Yeah, 10 EST.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
That works great for me. 11am local time.

When will we know draft positions?

What was the final decision about how we will be cheating?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's what I propose:

Draft Order
Players bid for draft order, with the final tally being determined Wednesday at 10PM EST. At that point the players who bidded funds will choose their draft spots in order from most bid to least bid. In the event of a tie I will randomly decide who goes first using random.org's list. Finally players who did not bid will have their draft spot chosen randomly based on the remaining slots.

Cheating
There will be two cheating options this year. First, a Free Agent Auction Bidding system will be used, with the amount of money available based on how much you've drafted donated.

Second, players will be able to cheat with the Mulligan rule. If a player has someone on their bench who outscored a player that started, the owner has the option to swap out those players by allocating a number of dollars equal to the difference in points (round fractions up). This must be done by kickoff of the following week's Thursday Night Game.

Sound good?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 25, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
How much does it cost to prevent you from using any sort of cheat sheet? This should be quite interesting considering everyone here will have access to BeerSheets.

I like the bidding for picking auction slots idea. It would be good if we can get most people to confirm they want to do that soon though so that we can have some time to bid.

For FAAB Cheating - I assuming you mean based on how much you donated, not drafted.

To clarify, you cannot double dip between Mulligan and FAAB $, correct? So if I donate $25 to mulligan some points, I don't get an additional $25 for FAAB as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aredna posted:

How much does it cost to prevent you from using any sort of cheat sheet? This should be quite interesting considering everyone here will have access to BeerSheets.

I like the bidding for picking auction slots idea. It would be good if we can get most people to confirm they want to do that soon though so that we can have some time to bid.

For FAAB Cheating - I assuming you mean based on how much you donated, not drafted.

To clarify, you cannot double dip between Mulligan and FAAB $, correct? So if I donate $25 to mulligan some points, I don't get an additional $25 for FAAB as well.

To make my life simpler, I'm saying the FAAB and Mulligan are the same budget. So you donate $25, you can either spend it on FAAB or Mulligans. And yeah, how much you donated not drafted.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
I am down for the rules Beer outlined above. How would the bidding work, do we just post in thread how much we bid?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Is the mulligan rule replacing the previous one about outright buying points prior to that week's games, or in addition to it? i.e. Can points be purchased to pre-load your score in anticipation of the coming games or is it only possible to increase points after games are played, assuming there's a bench player who outscores a starter as well as the money to burn?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Teeter posted:

Is the mulligan rule replacing the previous one about outright buying points prior to that week's games, or in addition to it? i.e. Can points be purchased to pre-load your score in anticipation of the coming games or is it only possible to increase points after games are played, assuming there's a bench player who outscores a starter as well as the money to burn?

Yes this would replace last year's mechanic.

Bidding for draft spots occurs in this thread.

I bid $10.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
$7 for me.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

$0.

:smug:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Current bids:

Beer4TheBeerGod: $10
Aredna: $8
Smarms: $7
Spoeank: $0

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aredna posted:

Current bids:

Spoeank: $0

You forgot that Spoeank also bid a :smug:.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
$11, shots fired

After waffling more than John Kerry, I've decided to just go with:

http://wolf-ridge.org/

for my charity. My uncle was a huge supporter of theirs and died mid-season last year, so I figure I might as well go with it for this year over my usual "random good cause" approach to charity donations.

quote:

What we’re about.

Our mission:

“To develop a citizenry that has the knowledge, skills, motivation and commitment to work together for a quality environment.”

We do this by:

Fostering awareness, curiosity and sensitivity to the natural world
Providing lifelong learning experiences in nature
Developing social understanding, respect and cooperation
Modeling values, behaviors and technologies which lead to a sustainable lifestyle
Promoting the concepts of conservation and stewardship

What we do.

Wolf Ridge is a place where minds open to the joy and wonder of discovery of our natural world. We seek to stimulate a love and understanding of nature by involving children and adults in direct observation of and participation in the outdoors. We promote self-awareness and leadership development in the process.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
$9 for draft position for team possum in your trash

Also, I thought total money donated before the draft was what we were using. Does this bid get taken out of the FAAB/mulligan pool?

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DrPossum posted:

$9 for draft position

Also, I thought total money donated before the draft was what we were using. Does this bid get taken out of the FAAB/mulligan pool?

Oh, I see what happened. You're talking about this part:

quote:

Money donated before the draft will be used to determine draft order, unless specified otherwise by the donor. One week before the start of the draft the players will choose their draft spots in order of money donated.

It refers to money pledged towards auctioning. I'll update it for next time. It does come out the FAAB/Mulligan pool.

If everyone could provide their team names (and a few of you need to drop the $25 to get started) that would be great.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 26, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
My team name is Team Name. I'll find something more inappropriate after the draft.

Current bids: (because I like easy lists to refer to)

Azhais: $11
DrPossum: $9
Spoeank: $0 :smug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

When do we need our bids for auction by?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

When do we need our bids for auction by?

Wednesday, 10PM EST.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I bid $1 for the draft position.

I'm a little confused with all the FAAB business. Is the draft itself a 'regular' draft, or is it an auction?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Draft is nornla snake draft.

FAAB is an auction used for picking up players from the waiver wire. Instead of priority based on record, the highest bid wins. Typically you get a budget for the year, but we are doing the budget from donations instead.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, I can't make the draft, but that's ok. I'll try to get a friend to draft for me or failing that I'll let fate decide. Either way the money's gonna go somewhere good and I'll have fun.

But uhm, I'm an idiot or something, I can't find where I need to send the money. Could someone link my blind rear end or email me at jwlockamy at gmail?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I'm literally directing my fiancée to pick for me on my work laptop while I drive. Step up your draft game!

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
I'm just cancelling my social life on Friday to bask in the luxury of my own home to draft. :unsmith:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lock posted:

Yeah, I can't make the draft, but that's ok. I'll try to get a friend to draft for me or failing that I'll let fate decide. Either way the money's gonna go somewhere good and I'll have fun.

But uhm, I'm an idiot or something, I can't find where I need to send the money. Could someone link my blind rear end or email me at jwlockamy at gmail?

Sorry, it's here: http://www.youcaring.com/nonprofits/cheating4charity-2014/203105

We've already eclipsed the $1K mark. Holy poo poo.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sorry, it's here: http://www.youcaring.com/nonprofits/cheating4charity-2014/203105

We've already eclipsed the $1K mark. Holy poo poo.

Holy crap it took an entire season to do that last year!!!

idk who's doing all the donatin' but y'all are awesome

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I bid $12

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Catching up on bids and increasing mine to $10.

Sataere: $12
Azhais: $11
Aredna: $10
DrPossum: $9
The Zack: $1
Spoeank: $0 :smug:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I love the smug persisting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Awesome, donated. $11 towards the draft please. I'll donate more as paychecks come in.

Also, I think this got lost in the shuffle: the charity I'm playing for (same as last year).

e: Also, the cheating mechanic on the donation page is from last year, dunno if you wanna change that or not.

e2: Upped my draft donation to $11.

Lock fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 27, 2014

• Locked thread