Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ashcans posted:

I think the diplomat aspect is an important part of the character, so its ok if its played up in the costume. I'm a little uncertain of having too many costume changes in a movie. It does work sometimes when it's part of a clear pivot though, like when Captain America switches from his goofy USO costume to the combat mode once he decides to take control and actually punch some Nazis. So in that sense you could have Wonder Woman arrive in her rad diplomat gear and then when whatever happens that she has to get punchy she switches.

My personal interpretation of her character is that the same way you have Clark/Superman or Batman/Bruce, you have Diplomat/Warrior when it comes to Diana Prince (because she doesn't ever need to have a secret identity). Her entire personality is predicated on the push-pull of her desire for peace against her love of battle. She is both sides of Athena personified, which is why one of her major antagonists is Ares.

She has a lot in common with Thor from his first movie in this regard, insomuch that Thor needed to learn to stop being such a bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat and recognize that diplomacy and the willingness to give up glory for the good of those he cares about are just as important. Diana doesn't need the same arc, but she has that same seemingly contradictory aspect to her character which is a very deliberate pre-Renaissance romantic view of benevolent monarchy.

So I'd see it as a mandatory costume change to help visually illustrate her struggle to be a warrior while striving for peace, or struggling to keep peace among those she wishes to destroy. Although for her "diplomat" mode I wouldn't put her in a gross-looking rubber bodice, but some classy Greek toga-like stuff to contrast with her scrappy leather fighting gear.

Goddamn I keep making myself depressed over this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ashcans posted:

I suspect that Cyborg is pretty miserable there too, but his whole costume is a mess so its just injury to insult.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Ray Fisher is spending 99% of his scenes in a green bodysuit with the little mo cap ping pong balls on it. Maybe there's a kinda simple, easy to wear version of that outfit that he throws on for really wide shots.

I mean, if you're talking about the actual character then yeah, I guess he's pretty bummed out that he's kind of a boring generic robot from the neck down.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the interest of not being a salty poo poo everywhere I should say that the one thing I kind-of like about Ray Fisher's Cyborg design is that it makes him look like a head thrown on a metal skeleton which is visually unsettling in the way Cyborg's built-in angst should be.

It does ignore that for the most part Cyborg has always been a bruiser, but then again almost all of his designs fail to convey that he's just a few meat parts on a machine while this makes it unambiguous that he's a brain, part of a face, and all metal.

Then again there was that dumb loving motherbox poo poo in the BvS teaser so it'll probably be some needless New Gods bullshit to make Cyborg the cosmic representative now that Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern are out.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It gets brought up a lot but that goon who said Cyborg looks like a high end graphics card is still the best way to describe his whole aesthetic.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

In the interest of not being a salty poo poo everywhere I should say that the one thing I kind-of like about Ray Fisher's Cyborg design is that it makes him look like a head thrown on a metal skeleton which is visually unsettling in the way Cyborg's built-in angst should be.

It does ignore that for the most part Cyborg has always been a bruiser, but then again almost all of his designs fail to convey that he's just a few meat parts on a machine while this makes it unambiguous that he's a brain, part of a face, and all metal.

new-Robocop was the first time a movie has made me feel the impact of this sort of thing. Not sure if that's what I'm looking for out of a superhero movie but it definitely left a mark.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

new-Robocop was the first time a movie has made me feel the impact of this sort of thing. Not sure if that's what I'm looking for out of a superhero movie but it definitely left a mark.

I can't find the images; there was a moment in the early 00s on Johns' Titans run where one of the newer Titans stumbles on Cyborg "sleeping", where all his meat parts get put into a nutrient bath and his mechanical parts get repairs. It was really effective and freaky and was the first time I thought of him as something other than Iron Man/Steel-esque. Much as I hate the DCEU so far, I've got to admit that the Cyborg design gets that part across.... at least in profile. He does look like a heat sink otherwise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The sad thing is that even with all that hardware, Cyborg could still only run the PC version of Arkham Knight at 24fps.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

mind the walrus posted:

I can't find the images; there was a moment in the early 00s on Johns' Titans run where one of the newer Titans stumbles on Cyborg "sleeping", where all his meat parts get put into a nutrient bath and his mechanical parts get repairs. It was really effective and freaky and was the first time I thought of him as something other than Iron Man/Steel-esque. Much as I hate the DCEU so far, I've got to admit that the Cyborg design gets that part across.... at least in profile. He does look like a heat sink otherwise.

I would really love to see this if someone can find it. I've been looking for a reason to get into reading anything with Cyborg in it and this may do it for me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't get too excited iirc Cyborg was rather a bit player in both. If it's the first run I'm thinking of it's the one where Geoff Johns tries to retrofit Young Justice into the Wolfman/Perez Titans and was the moment DC started to break for me, and if it's the second run it's the One Year Later arc which is largely garbage in which Ravager is a creep, Kid Devil is pathetic, and the plucky "normal" mascot teens get eaten by their own mutant dog.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Geoff Johns Teen Titans is what got me into DC beyond Batman. It helped color my perception that he's more machine than man, when I think most people see him as a dude with robot parts. He's very much like Robocop.

Cyborg #1 just came out yesterday, and is supposed to be pretty good.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

mind the walrus posted:

Don't get too excited iirc Cyborg was rather a bit player in both. If it's the first run I'm thinking of it's the one where Geoff Johns tries to retrofit Young Justice into the Wolfman/Perez Titans and was the moment DC started to break for me, and if it's the second run it's the One Year Later arc which is largely garbage in which Ravager is a creep, Kid Devil is pathetic, and the plucky "normal" mascot teens get eaten by their own mutant dog.

Ew, well drat. I know I've seen the question asked before, possibly in this thread?, But is there a good run of ANYTHING with Cyborg as a main contributor in it? I'm trying to like the guy but they are making it so hard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TokenTrevor posted:

Ew, well drat. I know I've seen the question asked before, possibly in this thread?, But is there a good run of ANYTHING with Cyborg as a main contributor in it? I'm trying to like the guy but they are making it so hard.

The original Wolfman/Perez run is your best shot. Maybe in that late 90s Titans run there was some good stuff. I don't know about New 52 stuff, but there might be good stuff because DC got an extreme boner to make him A-List.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

mind the walrus posted:

The original Wolfman/Perez run is your best shot. Maybe in that late 90s Titans run there was some good stuff. I don't know about New 52 stuff, but there might be good stuff because DC got an extreme boner to make him A-List.

Yea that's what I'm trying to find, what it was that made them go all "Oh poo poo yall, Cyborg is in the JL now." My immediate question was WHY, and I've yet to find a good answer for it. I'll check out that run man. Thanks!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TokenTrevor posted:

Yea that's what I'm trying to find, what it was that made them go all "Oh poo poo yall, Cyborg is in the JL now." My immediate question was WHY, and I've yet to find a good answer for it. I'll check out that run man. Thanks!

Because he's black.

Also because he is a tech guy, but mostly because he's black and they hadn't already had him in the Justice League. They wanted a new, obvious minority character.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Didn't they also make him Apokalips tech enhanced now so he can open boom tubes? Having a teleporter is useful on a team.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TokenTrevor posted:

Black (crap we can't rely on black Green Lantern anymore) + Tech-guy (Iron Man is a big deal now? You don't say?)

It was a marketing move 100%. I'm not knocking that at all, just calling a spade a spade.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

Black (crap we can't rely on black Green Lantern anymore) + Tech-guy (Iron Man is a big deal now? You don't say?)

It was a marketing move 100%. I'm not knocking that at all, just calling a spade a spade.

Well that was a horrifically bad choice of words.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

Thank you for making it so that I didn't feel the need to call it out. :tipshat:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of amusing? sad? how DC can't seem to do it's main dudes very well and keep trying to prop up guys like Cyborg or Deathstroke or whoever to Superman-level importance and meanwhile Marvel can make a hit movie out of Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

mind the walrus posted:

:whitewater:

Wait, why DON'T we just the black GL anymore? Somehow I had completely forgotten about him!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TokenTrevor posted:

Wait, why DON'T we just the black GL anymore? Somehow I had completely forgotten about him!

All DC cares about is Hal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TokenTrevor posted:

Geoff Johns has a weird obsession with the old guard of boring-rear end Justice Leaguers.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

WickedHate posted:

All DC cares about is Hal.

Pretty much this. And so the end result is attempting to shoehorn Cyborg in as their frontline Justice League "Black guy" and it's kind of transparent and weird because he was just always more of a Titan.

I have gotten my son all the Lego DC movies and they are great fun but he's basically a walking stereotype the whole time in them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TokenTrevor posted:

Just watch Teen Titans Go.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Light Gun Man posted:

It's kind of amusing? sad? how DC can't seem to do it's main dudes very well and keep trying to prop up guys like Cyborg or Deathstroke or whoever to Superman-level importance and meanwhile Marvel can make a hit movie out of Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man.

Ant Man and gotg were fun movies that reveled in their source material and we're comedy action/heist movies first and foremost
DC movies seem to hate their source material because somebody high up thinks that comic books are for nerd babies (don't get me wrong they totally are) but inject contempt for them instead of using it as an excuse to get silly and flashy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DC's current direction with their movies seems to be them pushing against the whole "Superfriends" perception they think most people have.

I don't know if people actually still do see DC characters like that or not.

mind the walrus posted:

It was the first run. Superboy stumbled into his room with Krypto, and Cyborg yells at him for bringing pets in there.

Shame Johns left Teen Titans early, and so many events interfered with it, because I really liked what he was doing for the most part, and none of the latter writers ever came close to writing the team as well. The roster was constantly shuffling around, Beast Boy and Raven got irritating with their relationship that I liked under Johns' writing, Starfire and Cyborg left for the awful Titans book, and most of the characters post time-skip weren't memorable in the least. The dynamic of older mentors (Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy, and Raven) with the younger characters (Bart, Cassie, Conner, and Tim), was the most interesting thing about the team from Johns' run, and that was just thrown out.

Roth fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 8, 2016

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Lurdiak posted:

Geoff Johns has a weird obsession with the old guard of boring-rear end Justice Leaguers.

Man that's a bummer. Now I wanna go watch all the old JL episodes to see if John was the cool GL I remember or not.

Glad to see you got your AV back btw.

Edit: For now

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Red Bones posted:

Let's not kid ourselves here, Ray Fisher is spending 99% of his scenes in a green bodysuit with the little mo cap ping pong balls on it.

Apropos of nothing, as somebody who works with motion capture boy oh boy does it raise my blood pressure when markers are referred to as "ping pong balls" and the suits are assumed to be green. I'm not picking on you specifically, I know that it's the layman's understanding of how that poo poo is set up, but my goodness I hear this all the time and it drives me bananas. But hey, goofy spandex suits are within the thread's topic, I think, so let's learn a little.

Green or blue suits are used when the intent is to have the performer present, but later comped out and replaced with digital effects. Like how you'd shoot performers against a green or blue screen and comp in parts of the environment or other effects later. This isn't motion capture, as in these instances the performers aren't having their movements recorded digitally for application onto a character. The solid-colored suit makes it easier to remove the performer from footage.

But because of the way motion capture systems track performers in space, markers or patterns or other equipment need to be added to the suits in order to be able to record their movement with the fidelity necessary to get usable data. This renders the single-color suit pretty much useless as a composition aid, in my experience. There's too much other stuff on top that complicates removing the performer from the scene. You'd still film the captured performance on traditional cameras so you'd have it available for reference or behind the scenes footage later, but not necessarily for use in the final production.

There are a bunch of different ways to capture motion, with more being developed all the time, and not all of them require markers or specialized patterns or extra equipment on your performers, but from what I've seen you don't often mix the above two in the way that they've become associated in the popular view.

The most commonly used markers that are often confused for ping pong balls, by the way, are much smaller than ping pong balls and are made of foam covered in a retro-reflective tape. Here's a torn marker I still have in my work bag from our capture session yesterday, it got ripped from its base when one of the performers got a little over-enthusiastic. You can see how it's covered in tape, made of foam inside, and reflects light from my flash like a motherfucker. That reflection is what makes these little suckers work for mocap.

A ping pong ball might work for some applications (maybe something like video tracking after the fact for compositing purposes), but for motion capture they're basically worthless and wouldn't show up on our cameras. Plus it would hurt a lot more to fall or roll on a ping pong ball as opposed to a little squishy foam thing, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLYY3sFUAE

Anyway, the "green suit and ping pong balls" misnomer is a bit of a pet peeve of mine so I hope you didn't mind me taking the opportunity to talk about it a little. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Traxus IV posted:

Anyway, the "green suit and ping pong balls" misnomer is a bit of a pet peeve of mine so I hope you didn't mind me taking the opportunity to talk about it a little. :v:

You turned anger and irritation into an interesting and informative post. I don't think you have anything to apologize for. :D

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Maybe not the right thread, but I was walking through the fabric section of a store and they had a lot of pop culture related costume patterns for sale.

However, rather than the full run of more popular heroes like Superman, Spider-Man, Cap, etc. They were for Deadpool and the DC Bombshells.

http://www.simplicity.com/searchsummary?q=Bombshells
http://www.simplicity.com/pattern-8236-mens-marvel-deadpool-costumes/8236.html

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the Bombshells ones were posted a few pages ago. It makes sense, because they're designed partly to be easily cosplayable due to the period elements. Hell, Catwoman and Vixen are basically just eveningwear.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love dumb behind the scene moviemaking moments

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

HOLY gently caress HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT

Roth posted:

The dynamic of older mentors (Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy, and Raven) with the younger characters (Bart, Cassie, Conner, and Tim), was the most interesting thing about the team from Johns' run, and that was just thrown out.

Everything about DC being a "four-generation" house of characters was thrown out the instant Johns was allowed to bring back Hal, which was stupid as gently caress because it was the one area where DC unambiguously had the edge over Marvel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

HOLY gently caress HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT

It's okay Mind, we know you aren't ignorant, you were just ignorant, literally.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I love that this could easily be a still from any episode of Gilmore Girls if you know anything about his character Kirk. Sean Gunn is a national treasure.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 9, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It's okay Mind, we know you aren't ignorant, you were just ignorant, literally.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS OH GOD

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mind the walrus posted:

It's not a problem as long as you aren't talking about black people.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Look they had to use a stand in for that scene because was Rocket had locked himself in a dumpster on accident.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

The phrase isn't racist in and of itself, I use the variation "sometimes you just have to call a spade a loving shovel."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Trast posted:

Look they had to use a stand in for that scene because was Rocket had locked himself in a dumpster on accident.

It happens. When I was a janitor, I had to rescue a few of my raccoon friends mere minutes before the garbage truck reenacted the end of the first Ninja Turtles movie.

• Locked thread