Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair those exist a lot in the "fashionable" world as well. Hell look at pockets on many jeans/pants for ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dacap posted:

They're supposed to be lenses on the mask, it's one of those things that works in art but not in live action

I think it could work but every live-action version I've seen with the lenses makes them convex and bulge out of the mask which is loving stupid, since in every version of the mask drawn that way it appears to be a flat plate put over the eye-hole. I mean yeah it'd be impossible to see out of that but that's how it's drawn.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

redbackground posted:

There was a brief and effective nod to it during the climax of The Dark Knight when Bruce turns on the sonar thingy to see inside the building where the hostages are.

It looked loving stupid. It had little lips on the inside of the eyelids and it extended beyond the eye-holes. Then again this is a series of film adaptations that took until their fifth sequel to realize that the costume might work better if the actor inside could turn their head.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 11, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We've had a smilie for :flashfact: for about a decade dude. It arrived like 6 months after BSS was founded. : flashfact:

Also Mark Waid is loving awesome? Agreed? Agreed. :3:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus Blade's been rocking the "all black Weseley Snipes" look for nearly 20 years. The only real difference between this redesign and the 98 one is that it's not longer actively trying to look like Snipes and stopped trying to look paramilitary.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If I had the power to make plates appear around my dick I'd still loving wear pants in public.

"But she's a hot teenage girrrrrl and we need the book to selllllll"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

She appealed to the furry contingent before they were well-known, she was a good power substitute for Beast when he wasn't on the team, she's become the go-to "slut" of the Avengers roster since the She-Hulk/Juggernaut fiasco of the early 00s, and that's pretty much all I can think of.

I dig the gently caress out of the new Spider-Woman outfit. She was three motherfucking decades overdue for a redesign and the new one is far better than I could have hoped for.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you there. It looks like something you could wear but unlike the new Batgirl costume (despite the crap I gave the snap on cape lampshade) it doesn't look like a superhero costume.

Well I'll say that I like it precisely because it doesn't look like a superhero costume. It looks like a Secret Agent/Superhero costume, which is what Spider-Woman actually is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Bicycle shorts and it's fine.

True, which has begged the question "why are they never drawn with bicycle shorts?" for literally decades.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inkspot posted:

A kid deciding his favorite shirt, his dad's bomber jacket, and a scarf is a sufficient costume is more palatable than an adult with a job at a newspaper who should know better deciding the same thing.

It's fun to be willfully obtuse and ignore historical context isn't it? I mean I agree with what you're saying, but come the gently caress on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well, yeah. That's because at least half of all Superman writers get way too hung up on the fact that Superman has an alien backstory.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inkspot posted:

So my opinion about that particular design being better suited for Captain Marvel than Superman is wrong? Please do enlighten me.

After that, maybe we can discuss whether milk or piss is better on cereal. I expect you'll be using first hand experience to support your argument.

Calm down I wasn't insulting your first born or taste in cock. In fact I misread what you were saying because you can't construct a sentence for poo poo, which was made funnier since Skwirl seems to have misread you in the exact same way.

Your post seriously read like your use of the word "kid" was referring to the artist of the Bomber Superman Jacket look while you were simultaneously insulting the fictional character of Clark Kent for having a bad sense of fashion, which aside from being a hilariously stupid false equivalency also ignores the fact that Superman's outfit--as we commonly know it--was designed and refined in the 30s and 40s when he was exclusively a character for children with an eye towards emulating circus strongmen and wrestlers.

There now that that's all cleared up we can get back to more important poo poo like what the gently caress Supergirl's crotch plate is supposed to be.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dacap posted:

The new 52 Teen Titans are poo poo costumes across the board.

They really are. I'm not a fan of the vast majority of New 52 looks but holy poo poo did the Titans draw the short straw there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Red Bones posted:

Raven looks like that because she's about weird demon magic, which is why it's got a weird organic materials look to it. .

See I still don't get that from her New 52 costume. She looks like an idiot wearing a bad riff on Femto from Berserk, which himself looks like a bad riff on Michael Keaton's Batman costume (and very probably was given that Femto first appeared in 1991).

While her old Perez-style looks don't suggest demon magic as much these days, I bet they sure as hell did back in the 80s when D&D and Heavy Metal were still considered to be genuinely Satanic and not just vaguely adolescent, and they still suggested an Occult/Goth vibe well into the 00s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah there's no 89 Batman in that black outfit with sculpted muscle and a cowl/cape designed shortly after Tim Burton's Batman became the biggest blockbuster in the world.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 24, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That was ever in dispute?!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seriously I have trouble imagining how a lot of Kirby designs like the New Gods could be adapted to the big screen while remaining fundamentally Kirby, but having him do designs specifically for a stage production tones down his excesses and leaves something incredibly colorful and dynamic.

Chinaman7000 posted:

The first scenes with Robot Man in GM's Doom Patrol handled this pretty well. Made it sound like torture.

It helps that even in the 80s everyone already viewed Robot Man's design as incredibly retro and outdated. Crazy Jane said it best when she said his voice sounded like he was speaking through an old telephon

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I dislike the Polaris one though, mostly for colour palate. If you're keeping the green hair, keep the green in the outfit, or at least avoid yellow.

Has Polaris ever had a decent costume? The most iconic look I can think of for her is basically "Scarlet Witch but green."

I do like most of those. Some of them are drawn a bit too specific though, if that makes sense-- like they look great in that particular artist's style but really wouldn't translate to other artists which is deceptively important in designing a costume. Emma Frost's in particular jumped out at me that way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus Emma is the kind-of fashion plate who totally would have a ton of outfits, even if they all had to be around the "white queen" theme.

I'm willing to bet that artist is a BIG fan of The Dark Phoenix Saga and hasn't really kept up with X-Men past 1991.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Making Peach into Tank Girl is loving ridiculous, and I hate Dark Pheonix's robes. What was even wrong with the original Dark Pheonix costume? It looked awesome and wasn't revealing at all. And why reimagine Emma Frost's if she's gonna be revealing nearly as much skin anyway?

Considering how her outfit there is just a more painterly rendition of her Claremont-era Hellfire Club outfit I'm willing to bet it was just fanart they used to pad out the portfolio.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even then it's not like Emma's sexuality is an inherent problem since flaunting what she's got is perfectly in line with her personality, but that "reimagining" really is barely different from her very first outfit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh, even then that's like the loosest of "in-universe" reasons since the idea of a vaguely archetypal character's outfit reflecting their personality isn't a radical or spergy concept.

Like Power Girl explaining she has the tit window because she doesn't know what logo to place there? That's awful.

Power Girl having the tit window because she's a confident woman who likes showing off cleavage? That's at least understandable even if we all know the ultimate reason is "fans/creators find it hot."

That's why her outfit has never bothered me in the way say, Black Canary's classic look has. I have nothing against sexiness in superheroes, but I do have a problem with sexiness just for sexiness' sake, if that makes sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I adore Amanda Connor but I've never gotten the impression from her work that she takes the dialogue/plots all that seriously beyond conveying them in the best possible manner.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I knew "fill my hole" was an edit, but the original scene isn't much better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, that famously tacky outfit was part of a long-running arc about Sue being possessed by a malevolent entity and even within the comic itself people on the street were telling her how terrible and distasteful it was.

Sadly as hipsters everywhere prove just because you say you're doing something while aware of the irony doesn't mean you're actually having your cake and eating it too, you just look like a douchebag.

The royal "you" by the way, not you specifically Ghostlight. We got no beef.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Should be closer to a half-cape or 3/4 cape so the red doesn't overwhelm the basic outline of her body--it should accent the epaulet and shoulder, a flowing cape over a non-bruiser body reads more as "mage" and not "powerhouse"--but overall I like it a lot.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 7, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair have you seen dude's athletics wear before the late 80s (and even a while after)? Looking like you forgot to wear pants seems to be the point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Soccer moms don't really look like supermodels.

Not all of them but I've seen a lot of stop-in-your-tracks hot soccer moms out there, especially in the realm of trophy wives. Just chill at a suburban Starbucks for a few days and you'll see them.

Besides if a qualifier to dressing up like a superhero was that you had to look like a model that'd disallow 99% of cosplayers in history.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In Superman's case I think it's mostly because using his cells as a solar battery (or whatever) creates optimal biology or some poo poo, but then that'd mean all the other Kryptonians wouldn't be so buff. Maybe Kryptonians in general are naturally buff? I don't know.

What weirds me out more is seeing characters like Tony Stark drawn as buff, which was a large trend until RDJ became a thing, and even then RDJ is still very fit in the role.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

You know what's weird? Film adaptations of Dr. Doom suck when Darth Vader exists.

That's because producers after 1998 cannot wrap their heads around a villain who is both old-school campy and scary as hell, and is in-fact scarier because everyone can see how ludicrously camp he is but anyone who points it out invites painful and immediate death upon themselves and anyone they ever cared about. Doom requires a skilled hand, as befits his lineage and status as Doom.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It makes sense to me. They aren't planning on making Doom magic, he's the same age as Reed roughly, and Reed is at most in his mid twenties in the film. Evil Genius in 2015 means computer hacker. The Doom we know and love from the comics first appeared decades after Reed graduated from college. People forget that originally Reed was a WW2 veteran. He was in his mid to late 30's at the youngest in Fantastic Four #1.

This is the biggest load of rationalizing bullshit for "I think an Eastern European Monarch in 2015 would be silly."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And lord knows the megalomania of so-called Old World nobility paired against the character arc of an egotistic American being humbled by the needs of the family whose lives he recklessly ruined just plain old wouldn't work in a two hour movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DC-- when it doubt just give it a fresh coat of paint

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know that when I think of Superman, I think of a big aggressive-looking guy I'd be terrified to be alone with.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That could actually work if he painted Clark Kent's public persona as a fanboy manchild, but that might be too close to home for creators and fans alike.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Batman and Robin is to this day the most interesting Batman film, because the themes they address are so different from the other Batfilms.

loving lol no. It's Adam West Batman with a gay subtext and a late 90s sheen. It's an interesting and hilarious trainwreck, but even the gay subtext is simply "there" and there's not really any meat to chew on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bingo. Sorry Swkirl but you really don't seem to understand that ASM2 was a failure for reasons other than its immediate box office intake. What should I expect from someone still jerking off Nolan's Batman in TYOOL 2015 though?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This would make an excellent Star-Lord costume.

Get Chris Pratt in this ASAP

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Equinox is really good but the other two are way too visually busy. The hell is it with New 52 costumes and being way too overdesigned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Selachian posted:

I want to like Stargirl, but it's just too. many. stars. Most of the Starman costume designs (Ted Knight, Will Payton, Prince Gavyn) just have one big star on the chest.

The half-star on the end of the staff is an interesting idea but it doesn't quite work for me.

As for Animal Man, what are those bladey things on his shoulders supposed to be?

If you nixed all the stars on Stargirl except for the legs and middle of the chest it'd be a knockout of a design. I even like the staff thing.

Animal Man is the worst. It's a literal visualization of all of his potential animal powers-- stripes, spots, fins, etc. The coloring and individual pieces are excellent but it sucks chode as a whole.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think they're brilliant and would've worked great for the space-faring series.

They'd look like utter poo poo being drawn by a sub-par artist and much more difficult to cosplay than the legions of other outfits out there. There's always some gibbering retard who goes "lol yeah cater to the bottom 10% that's a great strategy" but the truth is it is a great strategy because superhero characters thrive on how easily their image can be replicated and plastered around in other media, and the busier and trendier a design is the harder it is for that to happen.

• Locked thread