Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

I have to say, I really don't understand why people seem to be so hellbent on redesigning Wonder Woman and giving her a sword or a spear or an axe or whatever. But I also don't understand or like the modern affectation (from the New 52 and Man of Steel, at least) of making Superman's costume into body armor. I think that in both cases it sort of diminishes the character and takes away a little about what makes them special. Also, Xena: Warrior Princess was literally 20 years ago at this point; I think we can kind of shake off a little bit of that characterization from Wonder Woman at this point.

Giving Wonder Woman weapons is a way to help define her in a way that makes sense for the character. Most versions of Wonder Woman embrace the mythological aspects because of this and that comes with weapons. It's a pretty logical way to take the characters.

Super-Armor is pretty nonsensical, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a midpoint between "everyone wearing black leather combat gear" and "Literally 1940s cheesecake design."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Unless she's been massively revised, the new costume doesn't really work for me for that reason. What does a vampire need with a hand crossbow, knives, and whatever's in those belt pouches? She looks more like a Buffy knockoff.

You mean the thing she's had for years and even shows up in her action figures?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I was just going to post a video but I couldn't find one.

Edit: Of the quote, not someone farting in a tight suit.

Hey, you know, whatever your fetish is that's cool, nobody's gonna judge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The reason Velma is tiny is this:

That's it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was a terrible cartoon and should never be referenced under any circumstances.

Looks like we found Red Herring's posting account. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dacap posted:

This looks like a cut away gag from Family Guy

That fact that isn't literally from Family Guy shocks me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Hunter X Hunter was a thing like 10+ years ago, what kind of time warp are you friends stuck in?

You mean the franchise which had a new series that started in 2011 and which ended last year? Gosh, I don't know Lurdiak. I just can't figure that one out.

Plethora posted:

Holy crap I didn't know that.

I still stand by my initial reaction but now I have respect for the guy for keeping on truckin'.

It's also worth noting that "HxH is the most generic thing ever" is an intentional starting design point because the series is both a love letter and a criticism of the traditional anime show and specifically uses the initial genericness to subvert expectations. It has some really creative and interesting design work but it shows up more later on (and runs into the author's heath problems which the animated adaptation helps cover.) It also began in 1998 and was influencial enough that a lot of other popular Japanese things borrow from it rather than vice-versa.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 9, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe you thought this was good information to condescend to me about.

As opposed to your completely bizarre statement about it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's bizarre to have out of date information about anime?

It's bizarre to try to condescend to someone about out of date information about anime, yes, since you were accusing someone else of being stuck in a time warp for caring about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, a costume question!

So, what's the thread's opinion on Spider-Man's webbing underarm things? Yay or nay?

I've never really liked them.

The mask emoting is essential though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Hey, remember when Bruce adopted her and then the universe ended and she was erased?

Thanks Barry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

10 Beers posted:

And...y'know, maybe make them not look like dicks.

Let's not get crazy now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It shouldn't be red because the red ninja outfit in Daredevil looks hilariously ridiculous.

"I am Nobu! My mother just dropped me off at the costume shop and when she gets back I will totally destroy Orange Julius!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

I feel like the proportions of the power ranger suit are integral to their visual identity. Throughout redesign after redesign, the sentai have always had a lean body and a big bike helmet. Giving them chunky muscular armor makes them not look like power rangers anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Because red, green, purple and blue are all already taken.

Wait, is this going to end with Terrifying Sentai Batranger?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

You'd think they'd be bugs, so they'd at least be the same kind of thing as bats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prefect posted:

It is impossible for movies to look just like comic books. They can't make it look the way my brain does when I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do like the idea of Batman having easily removable prosthetic to make himself look more terrifying at a glance.

Though it makes me picture him forgetting he has them in, trying to talk to Gordon, and then hastily turning around and slipping them out praying that Gordon doesn't say anything.

• Locked thread