Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

He should get a wheelchair as part of the title, and be forced to use it despite being able-bodied. (I really didn't like how Oracle was handled)

Yeah, how dare disabled people want more representation as heroes, they've got Professor X and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Dead for years and walking previous to that.

Eh. *checks watch* So like a month before he's alive and paralysed again, then?

Ghostlight posted:

Daredevil and Agent Venom without having to think too hard on it.

DD is a fair point, but I was mostly meaning people with mobility related disabilities.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Better tell all those amputee sprinters that they should be running against the dudes with legs in the regular Olympics then!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

But seriously, have you seen what prosthetics can be like these days? Do you stop being considered disabled when your pretend-legs are better than actual legs, or is it more about the emotional journey losing a functioning piece of your body and learning to live in new ways causes rather than just the static state of not being fully functional?
This is a good point, and deserves more than an ignorant 'no' as a response. And my prior snarky counter-reply was probably too glib. I think it's important to cover the whole spectrum. The fact that certain conditions and disabilities are now able to be treated or overcome with the help of technology and showing the progress and emotional journey that results in.

I equally think that acknowledging that some things are still permanent, but don't make people less able to contribute, and showing that part of society that the stories we tell can include them is also very important, and DC made an atrocious, tone-deaf decision to do long-term damage to that effort when they did the New 52 and got rid of Oracle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Agree, but the New 52 is basically nothing but regression and throwing out decades of positive character development in favor of what comics were like in the 60s, so I kind of wish they'd had the stones to full reset everything and let it develop in new and unusual ways.

This is the costume thread, right? I sure miss Superman's red trunks, I tell you what.

I kinda like his goofy little hand-guard things that JRJr seems determined to draw everyone with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is the spiked collar for utility or is she just one of the kids at the school going through a goth phase?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Neat project with female illustrators redesigning some women from games and comics

I really like this Power Girl design, because it addresses two of the things that I usually think get missed when the character's costume is looked at for this stuff:
1. The cleavage is not necessarily a problem (the mesh par of the top acknowledges that it could certainly be an element)
2. If you're going to get rid of that as an element of the top? Replace it with something interesting. Too many PG redesigns just plug the boob window and call it a day. Maybe slap some jeans on her if they're feeling really daring. This one came up with an actual idea. Not sure how I feel about the I/O symbol, but it does fit the name, and the character's tech magnate shtick, so... I like it more than I don't?

Also, the hand wraps are bad-rear end.

I dislike the Polaris one though, mostly for colour palate. If you're keeping the green hair, keep the green in the outfit, or at least avoid yellow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Emma is the one that perplexed me. If ever there's a characterisation that justifies the outfits, it's her. She wants you to know that her outfit consists of a quarter of the cloth of yours, and cost 10 times as much. Oh, and no, you never had a prayer of warming her bed, darling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still surprised Amanda Conner didn't slap Johns for writing that awful, "FILL MY HOLE SUPERMAN!" scene.

I don't even remember if that was in the Classified arc she drew or not. She still should've smacked him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mirage posted:

You guys know PG doesn't say "Fill my hole" in the actual comic, right?

I think I did know that originally, but it's become so infamous, I think it overwrote the actual version in my memory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Edit: gently caress the 90s.

Who looks at Wolverine's hair and thinks "Hmmm... Not far enough!"?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't a Claremont thing.

Get her in bondage then we will talk.

Well, the dialogue does imply she's being mind-controlled to be evil...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Why can't they just close the boob window and leave the rest of the costume alone. It's still a great costume without cleavage.

There've been similar projects that came up with pitches that are literally just this, and no. It's not. It's like saying "just remove the lightning bolt from Ms Marvel's outfit!" (Either Kamala or Carol). You end up with a big chunk of negative space that looks unfinished. And I know the usual argument is that the epaulette is enough. I disagree.

I actually think the PG design is one of those cases where the other tack has worked. Not changing the costume to suit the character, but going "what kind of person would wear this?" and building a personality around it. Sue Storm having a cut-out to show off her boobs is completely tacky and misrepresenting the character in pursuit of T&A and objectification. Karen Starr just knows she's awesome, and doesn't mind showing a little décolletage. Again, the issue is not simply that some costumes show off bodies. It's the consistent use of them to depict women as sex objects, and the prevalence of those designs that is the issue. If stuff like the current Batgirl or Ms Marvel designs were the norm, then PG and Emma Frost wouldn't even be mentioned.

(Still think the handwraps on the power button outfit are cool as poo poo, though.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I have the same issue with the trunk removal on the Superman suit, and you can't argue that they didn't add a crapton of lines and detail when that happened. It just leaves a big space where nothing interesting is visually happening with the outfit. The only costume that's ever really pulled that off is Daredevil, and that still has the chest logo and distinct trunks most of the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huntress is good. I still think Power Girl looks like a lady wearing a t-shirt under the cape there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I'm not feeling the art here. PG's got a serious case of derp eyes, and I don't even know where Huntress's right arm is.

With regards to PG's cleavage: she regularly rolls her eyes at dudes staring at her chest, during Conner/Palmiotti run. That never sat well with me, as a breast-haver . If you don't want guys staring at your chest, maybe don't wear a boob window? Just a thought, Karen.

There's a mention during one Birds of Prey issue about Huntress doing the bare midriff action. Oracle, scoffing a bit, comments on the new outfit, and Huntress counters with something along the lines of "Hey, I worked hard for these abs. And it distracts guys while I'm kicking the poo poo out of 'em." Now, that, I can sorta get behind. Woman's got a point. (Though, as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, being half-nekkid in Gotham winter seems stupid.)

And I would also like to see a soccer mom hero/villain.

I took it more as PG going "OK, they're pretty awesome, can we move on- no? You're still staring? Really?".

And you may be the first person I've ever seen defend that Jim Lee Huntress design. Power Girl you can at least argue doesn't need protection, so the outfit's purely fashion. Helena is just a really fit lady. She kinda needs protection, not a big sign saying "SHOOT/STAB HERE".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Go away, Henry Rollins!

Superman looks like Henry Rollins, who was in Legend of Korra, which is a spin-off of The Last Airbender, which had comics written by Gene L Yang, who is writing Superman...

Wait, I think I'm playing this wrong...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, basically the entire Justice League is getting new looks. Flash, GA, GL and Batman all have new designs too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I think the costume would be fine if you took away the blades and maybe the stars. And as someone said the boots are ridiculously high. But it's fine otherwise.

I think you either do pants, and regular boots/shoes, or you go no-pants or a skirt, and the thigh-highs.

Remove the arm-blades and the pauldrons, and it's fine. A little textbook "practical means no skin below the jaw" but fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The two-tone/texture look of the Flash design is also clearly meant to evoke the TV suit, which has some non-leather panels in it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Why is there a laser warning sign on that cover?

It's a watermark for the Nerdist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Nightwing's batons magnetize to his back or something, and Wonder Woman totally does the weighted clothing bit when she takes off her bracelets. They restrain her godly might. It was actually pretty bad rear end.

Oh, so Azzarello played Sonic '06? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gatchaman is such an obvious place to take the concept for the Bat-family. Hell, didn't they basically use that design for Batman Inc?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Microcline posted:

Costume slapfights are only an issue because Marvel/DC haven't fixed their biggest problem: shared continuity. A costume someone doesn't like on a character they like is how they're going to be drawn in every comic they're in. If shared continuity were ended authors could tailor characters and costumes to the stories they want to write and no one would have to care about the portrayal of <character> in <comic they don't read> by <author they don't like>.

There will always be grognards but it's telling that this level of dumb fight doesn't happen over web/non-superhero comics. As weird as webcomic authors can be they at least understand that Oglaf and Paranatural shouldn't take place in the same universe.

Except that, as the Marvel films show, that shared universe is also a very powerful and unique selling point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Ignoring arguments against that statement itself, how has that success helped the comics industry, do you think?

Disney and Warner now see comics as viable IP farms, as opposed to worthless money sinks and lunchbox fodder? Like, that's a really odd question, because how has NOT having a shared universe in movies like Constantine and the new TMNT helped comics as an industry? I don't think either of those movies shifted that many more issues of Hellblazer or TMNT.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

The comics industry contracting has forced them to look for a market beyond diehards. The audience for triple-a, blockbuster superhero films aren't evidence that there's a wider market for comics buyers unless they're actively investing in and becoming part of the comic buyer market off the back of those films. Are they?

Half the audience for those movies is young women, which would be the audience that a lot of these costume redesigns (to bring us back on topic) are aimed at getting in the door.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Young women who are interested in comic books, which overlap with, but exist separate from, young women who will go and see the latest blockbuster superhero film. You're attributing cause and effect to coincidence and demographic overlap and eclipse.

I'm asking for evidence that people who would not purchase comic books before did so because of the movies. Did they? Do they? It's something that gets stated a lot, but I'm not sure it's backed up by any long-term lasting trend in sales or demographics.

OK, you VASTly misunderstood my original answer, then. I was saying jack-and-poo poo about it affecting readership, in fact, my answer was explicitly going with the idea that it has NOT affected it, but that neither do films for indie/non-mainstream books, bar maybe a slight bump for the specific book. It's not like IDW were suddenly outselling Marvel because of the Turtles and Transformers movies.

I was initially making the point that shared universe is not an inherent negative because comics are a niche market, because it's clearly resulted in mass market success in other mediums, so it's not the concept that's flawed. Then I attempted to answer your question as best I could be pointing out the secondary effects that could be positives for the industry, mostly by shoring up corporate support and spreading brand awareness among an underserved demo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Batman and Robin is to this day the most interesting Batman film, because the themes they address are so different from the other Batfilms.

The scenes with Clooney and Gough are pretty jarring. It's like they cut to a different, better film for a few minutes here and there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Action Man posted:

My main problem with Batman and Robin is that it's a weaker, less funny version of the Adam West TV show.

I feel like Mae West would've been a bit old for Poison Ivy in the TV show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, if we're talking about this, let's try and drag it back on topic and ask what the gently caress was with the Batgirl suit with the built-in thong supposedly designed by Uncle Alfred Headroom?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It looks like his mom dressed him up before she let him out to play so he wouldn't hurt himself.

I'm trying SO hard not to post the obvious meme response.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The NASCAR/daredevil style for Stargirl kinda works for me, actually.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotAnArtist posted:

I was thinking motocross star myself

Oooh, even better, you can totally have Courtney be a dirtbiker when she's not superheroing!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, I forgot about that issue of Thor:TMA. Probably the best joke of the run when Brian Braddock 'sneaks out' to become Captain Britain and everyone in the pub basically tells the Warriors Three "Shhh, just pretend you can't tell it's him".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LoonShia posted:

Should have gone with "Batman of the Future".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Wally West! You have to get out of here! Your ring is haunted!

I hate that I can even bring this up, but honestly, as beautifully terribad as that line is, it's not the funniest part of the story it's from, so I feel it's kind of stealing the spotlight.

The funniest part? Jim Balent Skeleton Man not only FAILS to save the haunted vagina girl from the 'sexy' nurse ghosts that want to take back her polter-cooch, he fails to save the rest of their victims... because the ghosts won't tell him where the victims live!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I really like Franklin and Valeria Richards' 5 and 6 costumes. Its a fun way to give them their own thing.

That was actually a general Future Foundation thing. All the kids got numbers above 4 (which were reserved for Ben/Reed/Sue/Johnny/Peter)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Hahaha, Jim Gordon got super shredded, huh? He looks like he has Nightwing's body.

Well, he's an ex-Marine, so it's not exactly shocking that he could get in good shape to be the new Bat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, the lightning bolt spike heels are my favourite part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Magik and Tony Stark are both future Sorceror Supremes.

That's Dr. Stark and Dr. Rasputin, thank you very much.

• Locked thread