Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The stylized skull face looks cool and dynamic in a semi-anime way, instead of looking like a goofy Skeletor face with bulging eyes. I think that's the main reason it works. Well, that and the colors are just really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Both of those are basically just variations on Black Suit Spider-man, one of the most successful and iconic costume changes in comic book history. Spidey went from having arguably the best costume in comics to having the other best costume in comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dacap posted:

Crosspost from the Marvel thread, here's a bunch of new costumes showing the designs for the new female Thor, Falcon as Cap, and a new Iron Man armor. I overall like the Thor, the Iron Man is kind of bland and the Cap design is way to busy in the chest and has a lot of extraneous elements like the massive belt buckle and side ridges that it would look better without.

I really don't like Thor lady's boob plate and world of warcraft gauntlets. It's a bad costume, which is a shame, since a lot of artists have been able to do amazing variants of Thor's basic costume for the past decade or so.

Plus, whoever drew that forgot to give her any muscle mass.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I bet it's Gackt under there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Project Rooftop suffers a lot from "Oh wow look at this cool design! Drawing it for thirty pages every month would make you swallow a pistol barrel, but it's really cool!"

What, like having to draw the webbing on Spidey's outfit isn't in the same category of huge hassle?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really don't dig any of those. Making Ghost Rider look "sleeker" seems especially misguided.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I mean, despite the amazing job the two live action Spider-man franchises did with the eyes, the mask still doesn't emote like in the comics. You can't think about these things too hard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Why is future Peter Parker always fat?

He was creepy nursing home skinny in Reign...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have no idea how that helmet of his ever stayed on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Ron Wimberly's Blade redesign

Read Prince of Cats!

That's not a bad look but it has nothing that people associate with what Blade is about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If I had the power to make plates appear around my dick I'd still loving wear pants in public.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

He just likes very perky breasts. Nothing wrong with that.

(If I was d00gz, I would call them unnaturally perky.)

Those things aren't "perky", they look like early 90s implants that were put in 4 inches too high by mistake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was specifically an anti-pot PSA. It was pretty surreal seeing all these superheroes yelling about how marijuana is the devil and kills more people than disease and war combined or whatever. It'd be goofy for something from the 80s, but this was the late 90s.

Though I guess it would eventually be topped by those commercials that equated smoking weed to causing 9/11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gw0y-KfGNk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sometimes at cons I see young cosplayers wear skin colored tights so they can be accurate in their costume and not be pedophile bait. Maybe Supergirl should look into that poo poo?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't know, I said in that thread too, the idea that this generation of comic artists are notably more perverted than previous ones seems completely laughable to me.

Man don't be so obtuse. I get that it's fun to purposefully misunderstand what I post so you can dismiss it, but you can't compare what Dan Decarlo drew in Archie comics to Greg Horn's Catwoman cover, even though Dan drew pinups like nobody's business in his spare time.

Say Nothing posted:

Kamala's Ms. Marvel is a great costume.

Hell yeah it is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I kinda feel like Shazam could pull off that look better than Superman, but I can't really explain why.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think that's an example of a good art style covering for a plain design. I think stars aren't a good fit for her since it makes her seem American inspired.

She's always had that poo poo going on for some reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sherlock Hyde posted:

I've always been a fan of costumes that are more practical than they are stylish, so I kinda really love Jack Knight's outfit and Sandman design from Sandman Mystery Theatre. Although that one I probably like more because it reminds me of the Shadow than anything, and I love the Shadow. That's also probably why I love Darkwing Duck's outfit so much.

As someone who attempted to go trick or treating as Darkwing duck once, let met tell you, there's nothing practical about that hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Wonder Woman showing up with weapons is also the character's "This ends now" schtick and you'd lose that with them constantly around.

I will never understand why DC writers feel something like that is necessary at all. "This ends now" is a dumb writing crutch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shouldn't she be wearing some kind of toga then?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know about this one. It has a belt buckle but no belt.

He's just trying to shield his King Hippo-style weak spot outie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Reasoning: men like sexy ladies and will buy our pictures of sexy ladies.

They don't, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I have first hand evidence that teenagers have bought a comic book with power girl on the cover because of boobs.

I just mean that tons of comics do the T&A thing and they all sell like poo poo, just like 95% of all comics nowadays. Trying something new for a new audience should be something editorial is desperate for instead of terrified of.

Hulk Smash! posted:

The most :effort: patriotic costume has to be this though:

I dunno, I think the off-center design is at least more inspired than this guy:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There was a Batman story about a tailor who ends up getting roped into doing costume work for Batman's rogues, although since they're dangerous psychos it's a terrifying situation for him instead of a side gig, and Batman ends up rescuing him from it and hiring him to work on his own suits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

That's more clothes than Emma's ever worn before!

I'm a big fan of Magik's post AvX costume. I don't know what those head things are but they work for me.

That is not how teeth work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Servoret posted:

Maybe she's got partially squirrel blood?

That doesn't explain how her teeth apparently make a perfect circle that lines her lips.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like given enough time and enough artist changes, every single female character design will turn into a huge chested model. Pepper Potts used to be a frumpy short lady and now she just looks like she walked off the set of Sex and the City. Hell, I'm sure someone once drew aunt May as a sexy vixen but with grey hair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

This is Jubilee, seriously.

Yeah that looks about right. Now let's draw in Wolverine!

Perfect! Equally on-model.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

The first question when you're being interviewed as a professional comic artist is "Can you draw feet?"

Actually that's a lie. The first question is "I need twenty pages by monday, and make them look like CURRENT FAVOURITE because that's what the kids like, now get out of my office."

I need trace jobs! Trace jobs of Spider-man!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pierson posted:

CineD had/has a thread about insider politics, editing, deadlines, just general funny stories and poo poo about the inner workings of movies. I'd be interested to see a similar thread on comics because even small little posts like the Sonic one about Ken Penders are entertaining as hell. I can only imagine the clusterfucks that DC and Marvel have gotten up to.

Unfortunately the comics industry is too small and incestuous. Everyone's really afraid of talking poo poo about anyone else for fear of getting blackballed from one or both of the Big Two, or even just blackballed from some of the bigger alternatives like Image. There's not that much money in comics, it's suicide to remove one of the like 5 places you can work at just to gossip.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still blame whoever thought Mark Millar could write romance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't quite understand why those parts in particular are exposed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What about the armpits?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Well, if we are talking about impractical armor, what exactly does Red Sonja's chainmail bikini protect her from? Nipple twisters?

I think it's a fashion statement. Mostly because she hangs out with Conan, who usually only wears a loincloth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Mostly on cover. In the actual stories(by Howard) he usually wears at least medium armor.

Not in Savage Sword.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Katana's outfit is the real crime here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It looks like a Todd McFarlane design to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Eh. I really can't get into this new look. My favorite Raven costume was the simple elegance of the torn jean shorts and Nirvana t-shirt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LvK posted:

ft. Robin Van Dam and Bam Bam Bigelow, the Beast Boy from the East?

Don't forget Donnie Troy as Big Troia Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think Venom counts since he has magic legs 99% of the time.

• Locked thread