Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I really liked Ultimate Spider-Woman's costume. It was simple, but really nice.

(Haha, I never noticed Miles' knee and elbow pads.)

Her new one is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Angry Walrus posted:

That looks like it came straight out of the nineties.

She lost the jacket in a fight in a recent issue, which improves it a bit (but then it's just a worse Anya Corazon Spider-Girl) but she keeps complaining about it so I'm sure she'll get another terrible one soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Other than the green Wonder Man costume, obviously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

I like it. It looks like a high-production version of Xena's outfit. Could use a bit less muted colours, but it's a Snyder superhero movie, so everything has to look dark and sleek I guess. Not sure about the heels/wedges and the overknee boots in general though, but they aren't stiletto heels, so that's already a plus. Also, I hope they give her a leaf-shaped xiphos as sword in the film, it fits best with the origin and has also the coolest look.

Someone in the Movie thread said that it's actually blue and red if you take it into Photoshop and adjust the filters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ashcans posted:

If you look at side of her left leg, you can see skin at the knee and further down, which makes me think that might be armor instead of a crazy boot. If that's the case I am ok with it, because it would be like a stylized version of what ancient greeks actually wore. Less ok with the fact that they're over serious wedges, and the whole open collar look, but its significantly better than I had expected.

Yeah, it looks like a low boot with shin armor.

If you look at the left boot (her right) you can see that the armor is actually curved above the toe of the boot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a waitress uniform.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've seen that panel a bunch, what are the 37+ plans for anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma Frost has low level telekinesis but uses it exclusively to keep her clothes on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

A miniskirt is not a sensible costume choice for a character who flies or swings around above people's heads.

Also, Mary Marvel.

Bicycle shorts and it's fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

That's actually what current Supergirl's costume is said to be but it'll always be drawn as flesh not flesh-tone tights so there's no point to it but as lip service.

Yeah, it doesn't even fit the color scheme if it's 'pants'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I don't like about that bomber jacket design is that he has his symbol on the jacket and then again on the shirt. Seems kind of redundant.

It's so when he takes the jacket off because THIS. ENDS. NOW. he still has the logo on him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A gi is a terrible thing to wear in a fight, has nobody seen a Jackie Chan movie?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Togas are Roman, and were worn exclusively by men.

And prostitutes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Even if elements of it are dumb, I really do like cartoon/90s Cyclops more than any of the full bodysuit versions I've ever seen. No Scott, putting an X on your face does not make the body condom cool, just stop trying to make it work already. poo poo, young time-displaced Cyclops has a better costume.

The X on the face is his visor. It's just rarely drawn that way.

You can't blame him for not knowing how to make anything that isn't shaped like an X.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

It is a big improvement but I think they went a little bit too far. I would have liked to see them hold onto a little more of the coloration (which I think works better with her hair and power effects) and possibly the bare shoulders and glove flair from her Jim Lee suit.

I think it's originally an X-Force costume, so the lack of color is part of the theme.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

They don't, though.

Yeah but you can't be sure they wouldn't evener if not so let's not rock the boat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think Scott could work if you removed the red crotch arrows and beak visor. To me, the key defining feature of the Phoenix costume was Jean's hair. poo poo's so unwieldy. Even before The Dark Phoenix Saga, the design always denoted a level of power that can be barely contained; breaking free. When it came for the Dark Phoenix Saga it denoted more about the character. She was someone with no restraints and no limits on her power.

That's why I think it's dumb to give Scott this big bulky visor. He shouldn't have a visor at all. I think you could give him some red angry Superman eyes to denote it's Cyclops.Make it look like a Cyclops who has let go.

They talk about that in one of the issues. He chooses to wear the visor. It kind of makes sense too, he thinks he's in control.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Venom's new look.

Also is this Venom in Cosmic thing going to be semi-permanent or are they just enjoying loving around before they blow the whole thing up? I'm not reading the book but I've seen scans of Venom-rocket and Venom-groot.

Does he work for Cerberus now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't quite understand why those parts in particular are exposed.

When you're invulnerable it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

Using a shield with full plate armour means you don't trust your armour. Otherwise it's rather superfluous except in very special cases (like charging into a spear wall).
Otherwise it would be definitely better than the low-rise armour they gave Angela.

Invulnerable, it's worn for fashion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Actually, my favorite Robin costume has always been the one from Batman and Robin. I mean, aside from the nipples. I never noticed those when I was a kid. I am unperceptive.

That's just red Nightwing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amazing Spider-Man had the same problem with too much unbroken blue. It looked off.

Part of that is probably being accustomed to the little red belt he's always had though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think this design from Little Girls Are... works for a few reasons. One, it removes the high collar reducing the amount of negative space. I do think the smaller chest also does put your focus more on the epaulette and the chain which also helps.

Uh, it looks like a t-shirt and briefs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I've always been way more into the dodging/misdirection of bullets method of Why Batman Doesn't Get Shot. Like in Year One when the crooked cop is testifying how they shot Batman and nothing happened, the art is showing that he was hunched way down and they're shooting his cape because they can't see where his body is in the darkness.

I think as much as I love the Burton Batman, it started this trend of Batman's suit being bulletproof that's resulted in the Halo armor Batsuits of the Nolan movies, or the Iron Man but black power armors from the Arkham games, which are all designs I just hate.

Thats me though, I guess some people like Robo-Batman.

Although he can't take bullets in the Arkham games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The distracting costume logic probably works for like an assassin or something but I'm pretty sure it would stop drawing the eye in a fight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wonder Woman's isn't bad.

Besides this is going to last until like June max.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The boots come to a point, if they were below the knee they'd be poking her in the kneecaps all the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

qntm posted:

Are the boots high-heeled?

There's no point in asking, is there?

Nobody seems to have a picture that shows them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

"It's hideous. It's unflattering, it's not distinctive, it's unnecessarily cumbersome, awkward and ugly."

Haha. That is some straight-up nonsense from that guy. I mean, opinions and whatnot, but it's a fantastic piece of design. It's simple, has clean lines, and the solid blocks of color grab the eye.

Also, calling what is essentially a dress and leggings ugly, cumbersome, and not flattering is just silly.

I'm not saying Auntie's Modest Swimwear needs to corner the market on superhero outfits, but it absolutely works for the new Ms. Marvel.

It's well designed ugly.

His broader point that it's unflattering etc. is true, but completely intentional. She made it herself out of an outfit that's meant to be unflattering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but it's supposed to be a burkini. It's not actually a dress over leggings, it's one piece.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wendell posted:

Erik Larsen complaining about costumes and then posts this as an example of a bad one.

Guy's got no taste.

Since it's magic and applied by her powers, Captain Marvel's costume might actually be one where it should be a second skin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there a name for lovely low-content media that exists only as a venue to have women stand around showing cleavage? I'm thinking specifically of that mess above, those Grimm books, etc.

Comic books?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there a name for lovely low-content media that exists only as a venue to have women stand around showing cleavage? I'm thinking specifically of that mess above, those Grimm books, etc.

Professional wrestling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who the hell is selling Saga to teens?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Who the hell thinks Saga is that inappropriate for a sixteen year old or that sixteen year olds are not reading Saga?

EDIT: Either way it's off topic, and I was using saga as something that appeals to 16-24 year olds.

This is the costume thread, it's all off topic.

Also you don't find Raina Telgemeier's stuff getting discussed often here because it's aimed at 12 year olds. This isn't her audience.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 16, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

redbackground posted:

The giant gently caress-all wrist blades are mind-boggling because Wondy has never been much of an overly-stabby lady. I'd like to know what led her to decide that Every Punch Is Fatal from here on out.

Isn't she all crazy stabby in the New 52 or is that just the movies?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Just two pieces of electrical tape and a belt with a skull on it.

She's actually naked. That's just her skin looks like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is it Unreal Engine? That's like Unreal.jpg

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't there a new Batman Beyond coming out or something? Maybe they're changing the costume for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dude likes his fanservice restricted to Wolverine and Colossus. We don't judge.

• Locked thread