Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Colleen Coover's design for her and Paul Tobin's Bandette is fantastic, clean lines and colors and instantly iconic in the same way Wally Wood's Daredevil is. Also, much like the recent Ms. Marvel and Batgirl redesigns (as acknowledged in that initial Cameron Stewart interview), it lends itself really well to cosplayers, which, while not my scene, is a great way to connect with a large and too-often neglected part of the fanbase. I'd never thought about that aspect of costume design before, but once it was in my mind, it seems like a fantastic way of making the comics community more inclusive and encouraging creative engagement.

On the total other end of the spectrum, I was rereading some mid-90s Marvel titles last week and found a little feature they briefly ran in the back of issues called "Timeslip," where they had artists redesign certain characters as if they were being introduced, fresh off the assembly line, circa 199x. I sort of love John Paul Leon's bulky, baroque Doctor Doom:

Here's a modified take on it I found, by an artist named T. Branch:

I like how it combines Doctor Doom's sort of hermetic, hands-on rust & blood aesthetic with a bit more of a flashy ceremonial uniform aspect. Unlike Magneto's House of M design, which, while nice looking, didn't really communicate much about Mags' character, this ensemble still conveys a lot of information I think. The costumes themselves, as well as their respective postures, suggest that these suits come with a lot of gravitas and power, but aren't much fun to move around in . They feel and look powerful and large but also suggest kind of a stiffness or rigidity-- very Doom, especially as a contrast to Mr. Fantastic's embodied flexibility/fluidity.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Chance II posted:

I like that Kang is just chilling on his invisible energy bean bag chair with his techno vape.

On that note, I adore Kang's classic Kirby design. Big roomy poncho, flying chaise-lounge, the puffiest sleeves on earth-- and then extraordinarily uncomfortable-looking glamour boots and that bizarre head/chest-piece that makes it look like he can't nod or turn his head. It's such an off-putting and discordant look that really jibes with the oddness of his core concept-- yeah, he's here to conquer, and he's history's mightiest warrior or whatever, but having him constantly jaunt back to the 20th century gives him this incredible sense of being some sort of leisure-loving evil time-tourist. He has such a lush, decadent look compared to other big Kirby bad-guys (although Darkseid's mod miniskirt and go-go boots get close). And his first appearance nails this-- he's so casual in his initial fight with the Avengers, and his explicit motivation is ennui. Unfortunately, three months later he's fuming and obsessing and building Spider-Man robots, so the tonal inconsistency is sort of built in from the start.

I love him. I'm always astonished that nobody has pushed that kind of camp/glam angle with him a la Gillen's Mr. Sinister.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 4, 2015

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

TwoPair posted:

That's really cool but I can see why it was never made, because I can not believe that anyone could kill that Caesar with something so simple as a dagger.

It wasn't? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like it at least had a dress rehearsal.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don't know if Jean Grey Costume #11 is legitimately a good costume, or if the drawing on the site just has a little more character to it. I think the classic blue and yellow work better on her and Cyclops than on any of the other original five because they both get a nice pop of red to go with it-- her hair, his glasses. I also like the shoulder pads, and you know what, I think I'm actually a big fan of the full-body X-motif in general, even though I think I first recall noticing it in some really goofy Alex Ross redesigns years ago.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Firepower of SuperMechagodzilla, durability of Hedora, bravery of Anguirus, size of Zone Fighter, speed of the Atragon, compassion of Mothra.

I thought this was going to be the goon Shazam for a harrowing second.

• Locked thread