Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
Our old slow cooker was a Hamilton Beach, and while the lid didn’t seal, it fit nicely on the top of the insert.

Our new Crockpot brand slow cooker has a lid that doesn’t rest on top of the ceramic insert without leaving a slight gap between the lid and the top of the insert. I think the top of the insert is not flat and even.

Is it supposed to be like that? I can’t find a conclusive answer online. Most people apparently fill the gap with a piece of foil but for how much we spent on the darn thing, I shouldn’t have to do that. I’d rather just return it and get another Hamilton.

I kind of want to go somewhere that they have Crockpots galore so I can play with a bunch of them and see if all the lids are wobbly.

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Try leveling it out with cream cheese, since you'll have that out for the salsa chicken anyway.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Take it back. Buy a pressure cooker instead. Instead of slowly overcooking things, you can rapidly cook them properly.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Try leveling it out with cream cheese, since you'll have that out for the salsa chicken anyway.

Woah, where can I find out more about "salsa chicken"?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
What a bunch of circle jerking GWS snobs. Anyway a crock pot is great for somethings like boiled peanuts, greens and chili (if you're using dried beans). I'd take it back and get one that fits properly. Too much moisture will evaporate otherwise for long cooking.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've got a slow cooker which seals properly with a steam vent. Yours isn't right. Get it replaced. Happy cooking!

There is/was a slow cooker thread which will have tons of good recipes to try out in your new cooker.

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 14, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MeramJert posted:

Woah, where can I find out more about "salsa chicken"?

I can help you friend. :q:

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

therattle posted:

I've got a slow cooker which seals properly with a steam vent. Yours isn't right. Get it replaced. Happy cooking!

There is/was a slow cooker thread which will have tons of good recipes to try out in your new cooker.

Croatoan posted:

What a bunch of circle jerking GWS snobs. Anyway a crock pot is great for somethings like boiled peanuts, greens and chili (if you're using dried beans). I'd take it back and get one that fits properly. Too much moisture will evaporate otherwise for long cooking.

I went back to the Sears I got it from and looked at the other CrockPots they had there of the same model. Both the floor model and the one boxed 7qt slow cooker there had lids which were just as wobbly. So I don't know.

I made tomato sauce in it. I sealed the lid with saran wrap. It came out great. Maybe from now on I could just throw a hand towel or dish towel over the lid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Most crockpots have lids that don't fit snugly.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

AvianPundit posted:

I went back to the Sears I got it from and looked at the other CrockPots they had there of the same model. Both the floor model and the one boxed 7qt slow cooker there had lids which were just as wobbly. So I don't know.

I made tomato sauce in it. I sealed the lid with saran wrap. It came out great. Maybe from now on I could just throw a hand towel or dish towel over the lid.

Almost all my crockpots (except the one with the rubber gasket type thing on it) don't fit completely snugly and it's been fine. I mean, if it's just a little wobbly, that's ok. I think the steam that collects on the inside of the lid and then drips down to the edge of the pot creates a little seal itself. But if you can fit a finger in the gap or something, then it's likely a problem. Don't bother with the saran wrap or anything next time, I bet it'll be just fine.

(Also, the stickied quick/dumb questions thread would have been a better spot for this question.)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I made crock pot ribs last night they are pretty drat good. Thats my crock pot info.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My crockpot is too large(7qt) for use by a normal bachelor (me). How can I make it cook less food without burning?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's easy, find a girl and pop out a few kids.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

toplitzin posted:

My crockpot is too large(7qt) for use by a normal bachelor (me). How can I make it cook less food without burning?

Buy a new small one, they're super cheap. $25 is about right if not less.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Goodwill usually has a few to choose from for $5-10.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Croatoan posted:

Or just make a ton of servings and stock your freezer for those super bachelor days when you don't want to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
My crock pot is a genuine Rival from the 70's with three settings - on, low, high. It works great. The lid doesn't fit snug either, it's a plastic lid that sits on the ceramic crock and rattles around, plus has a rather loose steam vent. Don't worry about it.

Check out the GWS Wiki for the Pulled Pork crock pot recipe: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pulled_Pork

I love my pressure cooker, but I still keep my crock pot around because coming home to pulled pork, 8-hour bean soup, and similar things are great at the end of a long day. :)

• Locked thread