Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Problem description: Whenever I press my power button, the light comes on, I hear the typical "hey the computers starting" beep, my keyboard and mouse light up so they're obviously connected, but I get absolutely nothing displaying. No splash screen, no BIOS screen, nothing.

Attempted fixes: Unplugged and took out mobo battery and left for ten minutes before putting back, disconnected GPU and connected both monitors to on board unit, put in both an installation CD and USB stick, Unplugged everything but monitor/s (tried both at the same time and one each, alternating). It's important to note that I did not open up or even touch the computer until it was failing to go to BIOS or any installed OSes and it was working perfectly fine up until I shut it off, so I feel that the problem stemming from a hardware malfunction is highly unlikely.

Recent changes: first I used Wubi to install Ubuntu onto my second hard drive, then from there I formatted my main drive with the windows installation, then used UNetbootin to install 14.4 onto (what I thought was, at least) my main hard drive. Now neither the Wubi nor the UNetbootin install automatically boot in. I also noticed when turning my computer on and off that I was getting no BIOS screen, however this is a newer computer and from what I can tell it has UEFI. since I didn't turn off Secure Boot before formatting my C: drive I am guessing I'm hosed?
--
Operating system: Previously Windows 8

System specs: ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard, Intel i7 Sandy Bridge processor.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I feel like a total loving moron here and am willing to answer any questions to the best of my ability, so please go easy on me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the board, this can be more successful than removing the battery. Also try disconnecting both harddrives so you have nothing to boot from, does anything appear on the screen?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alereon posted:

Try clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the board, this can be more successful than removing the battery. Also try disconnecting both harddrives so you have nothing to boot from, does anything appear on the screen?

Apologies for the incredibly late reply, was at work all day. Disconnecting both drives did nothing, and I'm not sure if I have a jumper on this motherboard. I took an (admittedly dark) picture of the area around the battery just in case it's possible to identify to eyes keener than mine.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 14, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The jumper is actually away from the battery on the bottom edge of the board, right above the front panel switch/light cables. It's bright blue, you shut the system down, unplug power, move the jumper over for 30 seconds, move it back, replug, try to boot back up. If it still won't display, try using one stick of memory at a time.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I got everything working! I think what I had to do eventually was physically remove the gpu from the motherboard, rather than just disconnecting the power. Thanks a million for all your help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Oh yes, if the videocard is still in the slot but unplugged from power the system will not work correctly. I kind of assumed when you said "disconnected" that it actually wasn't connected anymore :)

• Locked thread