Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

TL;DR: Grown man makes excuses for not going to one of the biggest FLGS in North America to play MTG; wonders what is wrong with him or if he is too old for this game.

Not sure if I need a shrink or just a good smack in the jaw, but I have this problem that’s bothering me: I wish I could bring myself to play MTG for real (ex. going to FNM or tournaments), but I can’t.

The issues are on three levels: skill, commitment, and social.

For skill, I am extremely green. I have never played against another person, only built decks and played them against each other. I love this part of the game—opening 36 boosters and constructing Standard decks, working out the what-ifs, learning the rules—but I know MTG is an extremely technical game for smart people. One of my greatest fears, despite being a grown man, is taking my super-powerful Izzet deck to my FLGS (which happens to be Calgary’s The Sentry Box) and getting trounced by some pimply 16-year-old who then laughs in my face. I am fully aware this is stupid but I can’t shake the mental image.

On the commitment front, I have a wife who only kind of tolerates me being a gamer/nerd. Since she doesn’t outright hate me playing video games etc., I guess I have it pretty good. I just can’t see her being happy when I tell her, ‘Oh, I’ll be out every Friday night playing Magic, which you associate with the geeks on Big Bang Theory and thus astutely refuse to play with me. Because of said refusal, our limited together-time will have to suffer so I can hang out drinking Monster with pimply 16-year-olds.’

The social barrier is the hardest part. As I said above, I’m a grown man—at least I consider 30 to be ‘grown’ and ‘man’. From what I’ve seen of FNM and similar events when I go to pick up new sets, or some model glue or whatever, a lot of the players are in their early 20s or younger. I’d be fine playing with them there, but anything outside that (which is what I really want to do—have friends over to smash some kitchen-table decks together over scotch) wouldn’t work. I feel like the age gap is just too big, even bordering on creepy once my opponents get younger than 20.

I appreciate the irony of a ‘grown man’ having this pretty childish dilemma, because I’ve had this fear of getting involved in a gaming community (of any kind) for years. I realize this is the very negative side of things (my default side). Maybe my Izzet deck is actually really good, my wife would get the hint and want to play if I started abandoning her Friday nights, and I’d run into a group of really chill, helpful, MTG-playing dads who think *I’m* a young’n. But I wrote this as a question, not just idle speculation, because I’m tired of speculating.

What does the forum think? Are my fears unfounded? Should I just go out and do it? Or am I really too old and should just worry about my RRSPs instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Follow your dreams, OP. I believe in you. It's just that you're going to need a poo poo load of money unless you play draft only. Then you're probably going to play a card that gives everyone forestwalk while you're the only person with the green deck. HTH.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

whats magic about the game is that if you play it all your friends disappear

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

dont play magic

Dec 26, 2012

FNM is the best place to go, especially when starting out, if only because I'd say 95% of people there are there because they love to play the game of Magic. I was watching the SCG replay of Worcester and Cedric and Patrick made a very good point in the fact that even though I was losing hardcore at the time, I was having the time of my life, even today, when I lose turn 1 to Storm in legacy, I still enjoy the game.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Scyther posted:

dont play magic

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

play hearthstone instead

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
hhaha, what a wimp!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

play the pokemon tcg

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
play magic the gathering on cockatrice so you can use any cards you want

my friends pressured me into it and i made a bunch of bullshit gimmick decks until they burnt out and we played something else

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

play hearthstone instead

no dont

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Hey all, thanks for the great replies. I toughed up, called my LGS, and got one of the last spots to the Sunday prerelase which is being held a pub where the LGS hosts Magic weekly. I'm really excited for it now! Wife will be asleep after her big night shift, and now that I think about it she'll probably be glad I went out and did something on my own instead of playing video games all morning.

In fact, she knows there's MTG at this place. One of her/our female friends mentioned to us a couple weeks ago that this place has great brunch and holds MTG tournaments. If there's anything we like, it's brunch with friends... so maybe one day I'll be able to get a group to come along and the wife will at least get a waffle or eggs Benedict out of the deal.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I want to play hearthstone to get my new card-back however I am poo poo at it and don't play it in fear of being beaten. I am afraid of a card game

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lets play the dragon ball z trading card game

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

play magic

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
If the website Magic The Gathering Online Exchange has taught me anything OP, it's that if you chase your Magic The Gathering dreams, you too can reach the stars. The only limit is your imagination!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

don't play card games OP

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I strongly recommend Hearthstone OP

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i stopped playing magic back in 2004 because that poo poo was expensive now i have money and play Hex instead my point is play magic if you want because its fun and gently caress anyones opinion

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

OP magic blows. Play real hobbyist board/card games instead. Play Dominion, or Cosmic Encounter.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 15, 2014

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

mabels big day posted:

play the pokemon tcg

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Play Pokémon Trading Card Game for GameBoy Color

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Grim posted:

i stopped playing magic back in 2004 because that poo poo was expensive now i have money and play Hex instead my point is play magic if you want because its fun and gently caress anyones opinion

hex is a carbon copy of magic tho

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was in a similar situation as you not too long ago, OP. I think you're making the right choice. I had the chance to go to the Magic The Gathering Championship but I figured my deck sucked so much that I shouldn't even bother.

Big Mistake.

The day after skipping it, I awoke with doritos everywhere, mountain dew spilled all over my clothes, consoles piled up by the TV. Everything was a mess. But I could feel that something was amiss. I looked around the room and to my surprise----My figurines were missing! My collectors editions as well! My things that were normally laying about were just gone. It's as if most of my stuff had vanished overnight. Not only were most of my prized possessions AWOL, but second worst of all, my woman had left me! She said that since I'm thirty, its about time I moved out and found a place of my own. Moms.... Such bitches. :rolleyes:

If only I had gone to that Magic The Gathering Championship and changed my life around while there, but no,,,,I had to skip it :doh: I'm such an idiot.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Resource cards suck. You're just padding out your deck with cards that can only be used to pay for other cards. Waste of a good draw.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

find a place that serves liquor and plays magic to keep those punk rear end children out on the streets (where they belong)

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

RME posted:

find a place that serves liquor and plays magic to keep those punk rear end children out on the streets (where they belong)

dads house

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I kind of want to try MTG Online because I want to own people with a dumb Chandra's Spitfire deck but I don't want to have to interact with other people in person because oh my god why would you ever want to do that

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

latex fetish have I ever mentioned I like your av. I like your av.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I kind of want to try MTG Online because I want to own people with a dumb Chandra's Spitfire deck but I don't want to have to interact with other people in person because oh my god why would you ever want to do that

magic online dies tomorrow anyways

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

you are paying literally the same amount of money for digital cards.

RME posted:

magic online dies tomorrow anyways

i have not heard this news

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

HeyCrapOnThis posted:

latex fetish have I ever mentioned I like your av. I like your av.

Hey thanks. This comment made me feel good and maybe, just maybe, increased my confidence a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
a grown rear end man, collecting trading cards.

• Locked thread