Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I feel that the series description on Batoto is somewhat misleading along with the tags on Crunchyroll, since I keep seeing people expecting a lot of romance out of it. Too bad for them it's more of an awesome comedy :colbert:

All of the characters are the best, but I'm pretty sure Seo is the most hilarious one by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DoubleDonut posted:

So does anyone know if the anime starting is what sparked these sudden, rapid translations? I just don't want them to drop off again once the show ends. (I don't even know how many episodes it's scheduled for.)

I think Roselia Scans got an additional translator and cleaner, so it's easier to release more chapters. Before, they were only composed of what, two people?

Anime's scheduled for 12 episodes by the way. I wish it was longer...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
That chapter is only making me look forward to next week's episode even more! Kashima always reminded me of Tamaki from Ouran, so I'm hoping her voice actor is just as bombastic.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
And here's chapter 51. We're close to the end of all these manga updates, only one more to go until we're caught up! And a few missing chapters in between, but those are getting translated as well.

Waka is my personal favorite character (well, besides Seo). If he read something like Fist of the North Star instead of old shoujo manga, he might do better in terms of imitation :v:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
We're caught up with 52!

Man, Nozaki really does hate Suzuki. The resulting panels are great :allears:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh man, that was a hilarious episode. The entire first half of the episode slayed me - Mikoshiba's voice actor really emphasized how much of an uber-goon the guy really is, but Nozaki's deadpan reactions to everything made it so much better. It also helps that I could actually understand the translation this time.

Tomoda for best character of 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Soks posted:

Why, ep5 preview? Why do you make it so hard to not read the manga? What series of events could have possibly lead up to that? Whyyy? :smith:

Don't worry, you only have to wait a week! Also this anime has some of the best still-shots ever, I swear.

boredsatellite posted:

One of the people in /a/ translated the omake for ch 43

Seo and Waka are truly the best. I can't wait for Waka to be animated so that we get more of Seo

That's amazing. :allears: They're my favorite pairing in the series because every chapter they're in is hilarious.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
About 7 minutes in, and I can't stop laughing at the constant "MAMIKO!!! :byodood:" shouts. Nozaki really is the worst greatest shoujo mangaka.

Honestly, one of my favorite parts about the anime adaption is that they're expanding on the in-universe manga panels. It just makes it so much better.

e: the entire Kashima on a cart sequence had me dying with all of its dramatic angles. So excited for the next episode, why isn't it next week already :(

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 3, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Please look at the bottom left corner

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Potsticker posted:

The second one? I didn't realize there was more than the one. Which hopefully we will get, because it was the most hilarious thing.

I think he's referring to the girls' dating game as the first one. But yeah, we should definitely see that chapter animated; the staff did an entire April Fool's trailer for the otome game, and I don't think they'd let the assets go to waste.

Haven't had the chance to see the episode yet, but I am so glad to hear the rooftop scene is still gold. And I hope the entire screen tone section is in there... For some reason Waka is in almost all my favorite chapters, so I'm pretty happy he's introduced.

e:f;b

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Answer: "Come to think of it, I'm hungry..."

This episode had me in stitches from beginning to end. It's proof that Seo is the best heroine, and Waka's dorkiness amplifies that by a thousand.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DoubleDonut posted:

Yeah, I think this adaptation is great. The first episode or two was a bit slow, I think, but it's picked up a lot and I'm enjoying a lot of these scenes more than I did while reading the manga.

It helps that the translation is understandable this time. :v: One thing I like about this adaption is all the extra touches it adds that aren't in the manga: ex. the last part in episode 6 where Nozaki is asking for Lorelai's recordings.

In my opinion, it kinda gives off a feeling that the producers read and loved the original series.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Phobophilia posted:

Gekkan Shoujo has a more standard japanese style of weird-man/straight-man humour, it's just done well and they constantly switch up who is who and play around with gender stereotypes.

Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxy0c0o7lsE

Oh my god.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Dante Logos posted:

New chapter here.

With new character Seo's??? brother. Who's just as oblivious as she is. So gotta be Seo's brother.

The tanuki keep evolving...

I think both Ken and Maeno would approve of the cat one - it has both salmon and tanuki! As for the new guy, yes he's Seo's brother. Look at his nametag and how he mentions Seo using Sakura as a gofer.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yeah, I like that we get to see some of everybody's talents (Sakura as an artist, Kashima acting, etc.). Even Nozaki scrapes by because of all the proofreading he gets.

Except Mikoshiba "I only have bishoujo figures :negative:" Mikoto. The art club segment was hilarious.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Those are pretty fabulous. I know the author made individual icons of the characters, but it's kinda hilarious that the tanuki icons outnumber them.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Lately, boxes have been really popular with us!

I love it whenever the show focuses on the production of Let's Love. It's actually educational.

Seriously, how did Nozaki even get a job?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Too good for words.

The only thing that can match it is that the full opening was released a few days ago. Seriously the best OP this season (although Aldnoah's "poo poo's going down" song/ED is pretty great).

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Can someone make a .gif of the second halftime transition? It's really mesmerizing...

I really liked the rain scenes because of how it shows umbrella scenes in shoujo not necessarily working in real life. Although I tend to like it more since it's the direct prequel to my favorite chapter ever. Yuzuki and Waka :woop:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Potsticker posted:

I agree. Except Waka. His falling asleep schtick is the one place that goes too far for me. It's a really small nitpick, though.

Him trying to reenact stuff he's read in shoujo manga (and I guess books/magazines) is totally believable though.

Totally believable... :negative:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Gils posted:

The fact that we got about 2-3 pages of the 'yo, ribbons' chapter last week but not the rest is terrible.

The biggest mistake of this adaptation by far. They can't just introduce the best side character and not follow up on it!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Potsticker posted:

With only two episodes left, are we not getting the otome game arc? I'm guessing the final episode will be about Nozaki, Chiyo & Mikorin trying to find each other in crowded public spaces.

They have to do the former. There was a whole April Fool's joke about it, and I refuse to believe that anything else would fit the final episode. :colbert:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Such a nice kid! It's good that she knows how to take care of people smaller than her. :3: The extras are great as usual, I feel like Mikorin really shines in these.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DoubleDonut posted:

If you're sad about the show ending, please continue to read the manga. It's got slow releases due to being a webmanga but it's still pretty great! (Also I don't want it to fall into scanlation hell where no one bothers to translate it)

It's a monthly release just like a lot of other mangas. I wish the chapters were longer though...

Please give us another season. :smith:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DoubleDonut posted:

It's in Gangan Online which is close enough as far as I'm concerned!

Also are you sure it's monthly? I thought it was releasing slower than that, but maybe I miscounted or something.

Yeah, I heard it was a monthly. The slow gap between releases is most likely because of the translators' pace.

There's a reason why it's called Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun after all!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Maybe they'll do a surprise otome game adaption next episode? I haven't watched the newest one yet so I can still dream <:mad:>

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i sometimes really wish this show was an actual romance show

Same, and have Mikorin find someone he can hang out with instead of third-wheeling all the time probably someone in 2D.

I wouldn't mind if we had a straight up shoujo episode with all the couples like the festival part in the manga. Although it'd be better if it was 90% Seo and Waka shenanigans.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
"Yo, Ribbons!" woman is the best side character. At least she had a small cameo again in the extras...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Cake Attack posted:

Barakamon seems to have flown under the radar, mainly because it's not on Crunchyroll and Crunchyroll has made me too lazy for piracy.

It doesn't really help that Funimation didn't upload episodes until a few weeks after the show started either. Barakamon is great and it's another series I wish gets a sequel.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Even when she was three, Seo was still the best.

I'm gonna miss this show so much. :smith: There were so many more scenes I would have loved to see adapted: the otome game, the parts that Squidster mentioned, and I guess literally everything. I'll be joining the other people in the corner praying for Nozaki s2 and Chihayafuru s3.

The wait for the manga would be so much better if it wasn't monthly, but alas.

e: actually I'd really like to see the train chapter animated.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 23, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

serebralassazin posted:

Question for manga readers, does the anime follow the manga well enough that I could pick it up at the chapter where the anime ended or would it be better to read from the beginning?

Some of the jokes work way better in the 4-koma format than animated as well. Also, it's a funny enough series that you should reread it anyway.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Wark Say posted:

Lay it on me, wiser goons: Did you managed to enjoy the anime just the same even after experiencing the manga? Should I venture into enjoying this sweet piece of comedy in black and white 4-koma?

I think I've said this a lot in the thread, but it bears repeating: Yes.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the first 12 chapters or so have a pretty bad translation. So if that's not your thing, the anime covered those pretty well while excising a few jokes here and there.

Another group picked up the manga afterwards, so everything from 12 on is fine.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I would totally read a manga about alternate Waka and alternate Seo. They are the best alternate characters.

I would too. It's amazing how Nozaki can actually make the couple workable in his manga; the second to last page got me really badly...

Nozaki and Seo work surprisingly well when they're together in scenes.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh yeah, apparently the BDs come with some extra animated content covering part of chapter 45 (aka the beginning of the beach arc).

I don't think anyone has subbed them though.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 30, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

nielsm posted:

Don't think one was found, so I made one. http://imgur.com/a/5JQ7z

I could totally see this happening. Add the newest chapter and man, Chiyo is absolutely insane and I love it. :allears:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
They're adapting the beach arc into an OVA.

I'd much rather prefer a season 2, but this isn't bad news at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Chiyo is actually the craziest. :allears: