Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A Blatently Stolen OP. Fantasy Draft ROUND TWO

30 goons, first come first serve. You pick your team and act as its drafting GM.

This is a fantasy draft in which we are drafting hockeymans teams from all current players who are the property of an NHL team. Each GM can draft any kind of team they'd like: from a cap team that wants to win it all this year, to a celler dweller that's building through the draft.

Prospects playing in leagues other than the NHL ARE ELIGIBLE if they are the property of an NHL team.

The draft order will be snaking and randomly chosen, and as players are picked, the picks will be stored in a google spreadsheet. This requires research behind each pick, really. I mean it's a lot harder than it seems, especially when you reach the later rounds. You can pick ANYBODY (within the rules). It's demanding, but it's also a ton of fun. Keep this in mind - this is all just supposed to be good fun.

What makes this fun? With each pick, you will explain your pick. Why did you choose this player and what kind of team are you trying to build? And after each pick, we're all free to rag on you for picking Matt Stajan to be your second-line center, or for deciding that no goalie should make more than a million bucks and signing Chad Johnson to be your starter.

RULES

1. Again, only players that are "property" of an NHL team (as of June 30th, 2014) are allowed to be drafted. They can be playing in any league in the world, as long as a team owns their rights. If you draft a player who has not re-signed, you take the risk that they go to the KHL or retire. Be warned.

2. We are drafting based on the 2014/2015 NHL salary cap of $69 million. Both minimum and maximum salary cap rules apply. A player's contract including both salary and term is based on their 2014/2015 contract. If you draft a player who has not re-signed, you take the risk of them signing for far more than you expected.

3. YOU HAVE 6 HOURS TO MAKE YOUR PICK if it is between 10am EST and 10pm EST, 12 hours otherwise. You have the right to PM me and ask me to announce your pick in the thread for you, or to ask for a small extension, or to present a list of players you would want if you are unable to be present for the pick, but if you don't communicate with me and lose your pick, a pick will be made for you as a consensus of myself and two other neutral parties. This pick will be kept with your current team and situation in mind. IF YOU MISS THREE CONSECUTIVE PICKS, YOU WILL BE KICKED FROM THE DRAFT, and the first person on the waiting list will take over for you.

AS OF AUG 7: You've got 2 hours to make your pick BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 10AM EST and 10PM EST*. If you miss it, the next person is up. You can then come back and make your pick at your earliest convenience. There will only be autopicking if you're wayyyy behind.

*it carries over. If the last pick is at 9pm EST, the next pick is due at 11am EST.

4. You must, to some degree, explain your pick to keep everyone involved and encourage discussion.

5. We are picking 30 players. Abide by general roster rules, in that you'll have a 23-man NHL roster, requiring two goalies, twelve forwards, and six defensemen, at the least. The remaining players are farm team / prospect players.

6. Don't make white noise posts who you're going to pick later on, or who other people are going to pick, or who hasn't been picked (or if you do, do a 'I can't believe Manny Murderer is still availalble' post), but don't worry about naming guys who haven't been picked in the context of a discussion about guys who have been. (Don't be a dick, don't name undrafted guys just to name them. If we find that this rule doesn't work we go back to the DON'T TALK ABOUT GUYS rule.)

7. BE COMMITTED. PLEASE. If you don't think you're going to be able to do this thing (it's long-winded and daunting), be a bystander. Please.

8. Any other rules or ideas you guys have before we start, bring them up here. But now is the time to sign up!

TEAMS

EAST

Toronto Maple Leafs -- paulocast
Ottawa Senators -- JoelJoel
Montreal Canadiens -- stab
Buffalo Sabres -- Starsfan
Boston Bruins -- Jamwad Hilder
Florida Panthers -- fits
Tampa Bay Lightning -- Infidel Castro
Carolina Hurricanes -- eXXon
Washington Capitals -- the talent deficit
New Jersey Devils -- T-Bone
Pittsburgh Penguins -- Ginette Reno
Philadelphia Flyers -- mentholmoose
New York Islanders -- Pat Clements
New York Rangers -- Zodjkhskdfh
Columbus Blue Jackets -- ThinkTank
Detroit Red Wings -- VJeff

WEST

Winnipeg Jets -- tofes
Nashville Predators -- Laderhan
Chicago Blackhawks -- Jordan7hm
Saskatoon "St. Louis" Blues -- Stickarts
Calgary Flames -- mennoknight
Colorado Avalanche -- Boomer the Cannon
Minnesota Wild -- lazerwolf
Vancouver Canucks -- Verviticus
Edmonton Oilers -- Danny LeFever
Anaheim Ducks -- DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Dallas Stars -- Twin Cinema
Los Angels Kings -- johnfw50
San José Sharks -- Habibi
Arizona Coyotes -- Rutkowski

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Draft Order from random.org

There were 30 items in your list. Here they are in random order:
1.Colorado Avalanche -- Boomer the Cannon
2.Buffalo Sabres -- Jordan7hm (FROM STARSFAN)
3.New York Rangers -- Zodjkhskdfh
4.Winnipeg Jets -- tofes
5.Edmonton Oilers -- Danny LeFever
6.Anaheim Ducks -- DO YALL WANT A BOXC
7.Vancouver Canucks -- Verviticus
8.Tampa Bay Lightning -- A TYPICAL GOON (replaces Infidel Castro)
9.Florida Panthers -- fits
10.Nashville Predators -- Laderhan
11.Columbus Blue Jackets -- ThinkTank
12.Chicago Blackhawks -- Starsfan (FROM JORDAN7HM)
13.Ottawa Senators -- JoelJoel
14.Montreal Canadiens -- stab
15.Minnesota Wild -- lazerwolf
16.Arizona Coyotes -- Rutkowski
17.Washington Capitals -- the talent deficit
18.Boston Bruins -- Jamwad Hilder
19.Calgary Flames -- mennoknight
20.Dallas Stars -- Twin Cinema
21.Philadelphia Flyers -- mentholmoose
22.Carolina Hurricanes -- eXXon
23.New York Islanders -- Pat Clements
24.San José Sharks -- Habibi
25.Detroit Red Wings -- VJeff
26.Los Angels Kings -- johnfw50
27.Saskatoon "St. Louis" Blues -- Stickarts
28.New Jersey Devils -- T-Bone
29.Toronto Maple Leafs -- paulocast
30.Pittsburgh Penguins -- Ginette Reno

Timestamp: 2014-07-16 17:28:28 UTC

Tips and tricks for a successful draft

6 hours / pick during normal NA daytime-ish hours. If you don't have time to effortpost your pick, just post it quick and then when you do have time come back in and explain it (don't edit the original post, post a new one so it doesn't get missed). If you're European, dunno, we'll figure something out. Are you European and not named Rutkowski? Let us know.

If you know you're going to be unavailable, and your pick is coming up, please PM me a list or email it to me at MYNAMEWITHOUT7hmdalyfrey@gmail.com. Alternately, post here and just say that you'll be back at x time.

If you're going to be unavailable for a few days or a week or something let us know and we'll figure out the best way to handle it on a case by case basis. Maybe someone else picking for you, maybe a list, maybe you just skip and defer all your picks until you get back. Whatever.

Please effortpost. Yes it's nerdy to get into really into a draft like this, but it's also what makes it fun.

Update the google docs spreadsheet as you go. HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a80PmyvcOnXidTbKzsd0mkxjVKIP1LoiHcXtMuUMKjU/edit?usp=sharing

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 18, 2014

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Arizona Coyotes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm excited! :toot:

Detroyet Red Wings.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

:woop: Go drafting thread :woop:

No draft pick trading I take it? :smith:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I got a butt ton of travel coming up in late August, if we start this soonish I can be in. If not, no way joses.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I demand the Toronto Maple Leafs. If that other drunken superfan comes back for them, I guess I'll just stick with Carolina.

Jordan7hm posted:

I found that last year's "we're drafting for the previous season" got really confusing and didn't work. I'm not sure this solution is ideal either, but it seems that drafting for the year to come makes a lot more sense and is closer to what we actually were doing when we talked about our teams. That ok?

We only did that because of the stupid lockout and the draft starting in the middle of the season.

ThinkTank posted:

No draft pick trading I take it? :smith:

Fuuuuuuck that. There's enough to keep track of as it is. Plus based on what I've seen in similar hfboards drafts, half of the first round ends up getting traded and it's a mess.

I guess if anyone wants to trade draft orders entirely before the draft starts that might be ok?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

I guess if anyone wants to trade draft orders entirely before the draft starts that might be ok?

I think this makes the most sense.

It's a snake so if you'd rather pick in the middle or whatever cool stuff. But yeah otherwise it would get a bit much.

mennoknight posted:

I got a butt ton of travel coming up in late August, if we start this soonish I can be in. If not, no way joses.

We'll start this week. Up to you. You were here for the last one so you know the pace we were moving at a month in.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
I didn't do the last one, but I guess i'll take the Nashville Predators if the previous owner dosen't claim them.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I will take the Saskatoon St. Louis Blues, then, if no one has dibs on it.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 14, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ill do vancouver again

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll take the Oilers since they're back.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I'll take the Flyers again.

For what it's worth, we allowed draft pick trading in the most recent MLB version of this and there weren't many trades at all.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I'll take the Stars again.

I am glad that we are not trying to draft players as if their previous season never happened.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would like to be the Bruins please. Last year I was Nashville. If the Bruins guy wants to do it again I will stay Nashville.

Also, lowtax changed my name so I am not canuckanese anymore. Clearly.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Haha you guys thought there was a chance I wouldn't be back as the Leafs

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
6. NO MENTIONING UNDRAFTED PLAYERS. Only discuss current picks and in context of previous ones.

can we please not have this rule? i dont think people are stupid here and just 'forget' that duncan keith exists and if they do then they probably needed that help to make it interesting. i remember being infuriated at how many times things couldnt be said because it might reveal that there's a ~Thirty Goal Scorer Thats Still Not Drafted~ or whatever

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I want to be in charge of Winnipeg

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'll take Edmonton this time around, but give me better coaching/FO staff.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is searching for a team, I relinquish the Washington Capitals to more suitable management. This was fun but I don't have time this year. I'm a entertained by strange things so I'll probably still follow the thread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Spamtron7000 posted:

If anyone is searching for a team, I relinquish the Washington Capitals to more suitable management. This was fun but I don't have time this year. I'm a entertained by strange things so I'll probably still follow the thread.

Surely your boss would be happy to move some of your meetings so you can participate. Just explain it to him...

I kid, I kid. :)

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Seeing as how Habibi laid claim to the Sharks and has encouraged me to take part in this thing, I will pick my Eastern Conference (and soon to be local) team, the New York Islanders.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
OK, gimme the Flames again. I'm going to fill this team with so much beef you'll think it's JR Ewing's colon

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'll jump in on the Philadelphia Flyers Minnesota Wild!

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 15, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I'll take Edmonton this time around, but give me better coaching/FO staff.

Edmonton was already taken by Danny LeFever. (Sorry, am just updating the first post now.)

Verv - I'm not sold on that rule either. Does anyone have a strong opinion about it either way?

quote:

6. NO MENTIONING UNDRAFTED PLAYERS. Only discuss current picks and in context of previous ones.

It was ok early on, but pretty quickly it got annoying and inhibited discussion about the picks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like the rule because I don't want to read a bunch of "omg ____ has to get taken next!!!" posts influencing the next pick. Let people draft of their own accord.

Besides, more than a few times it turned out that people weren't thinking of the same ____ in "why hasn't ____ been drafted yet?" posts.

There should be an explicit exemption for vehicular manslaughter-related references, but not "rhymes with Fanny Meatley" type allusions.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

I like the rule because I don't want to read a bunch of "omg ____ has to get taken next!!!" posts influencing the next pick. Let people draft of their own accord.

Besides, more than a few times it turned out that people weren't thinking of the same ____ in "why hasn't ____ been drafted yet?" posts.

There should be an explicit exemption for vehicular manslaughter-related references, but not "rhymes with Fanny Meatley" type allusions.

Can we not just say no "omg I can't believe _____ hasn't been taken yet" posts, but allow "I am comparing player X who just got drafted to Y and Z and also this other guy who may have been taken or may not have been"?

It seems something of a fine line, but I think we can manage it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I really don't think it's that difficult not to mention undrafted players. Compare them to players who have already been drafted or say something vague like "He's one of the better faceoff guys in the league"

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This is the perfect opportunity to spring a long dreamt of gimmick into action for me. My only conundrum is if I tell y'all in hopes you respect the process or if I keep it secret because all it takes is one inverted rear end in a top hat to ruin my masterpiece.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Stickarts posted:

This is the perfect opportunity to spring a long dreamt of gimmick into action for me. My only conundrum is if I tell y'all in hopes you respect the process or if I keep it secret because all it takes is one inverted rear end in a top hat to ruin my masterpiece.

Keep it a secret. The guy who went to about the 25th round before anyone noticed he was only drafting Europeans was awesome.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I, Zodijackylite, hereby renew my management of the New York Rangers.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Then I guess I'll take Colorado.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm unemployed and was kicked in the head by a donkey as a kid aaand I hate to spend money. I'll take Ottawa if no one's laid claim yet.

e: if by chance I missed someone claiming the Sens in the other thread I'll pick up the Ducks as my second choice and draft Corey Perry first overall.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 15, 2014

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Can I suggest we do away with the cap floor? With the redistribution of wealth among teams it ended up with about 8-10 teams below the cap floor last time, and it would suck to have a bunch of people immediately disqualified because no team really had more than three $6M+ contracts.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Can I suggest we do away with the cap floor? With the redistribution of wealth among teams it ended up with about 8-10 teams below the cap floor last time, and it would suck to have a bunch of people immediately disqualified because no team really had more than three $6M+ contracts.

Works for me. We didn't really look at the floor / ceiling last time anyway.

e: JoelJoel, Ottawa's yours. Boomer, thanks for repicking.

Only 7 6 teams remaining.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eXXon posted:

sure, i guess? i mean those are just annoying shitposts anyways

quote:

good. that makes the teams better, not worse. this isnt a "who can remember the 47th best forward" competition.

later in the thread there were a lot of times where i was considering four guys and i wanted to talk about/compare them but because only one had been picked it was just "uh, this guy... good???"

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ThinkTank posted:

Keep it a secret. The guy who went to about the 25th round before anyone noticed he was only drafting Europeans was awesome.

or how i managed to draft both sedins, like thirty picks apart owned (even though my team sucked)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

stab posted:

or how i managed to draft both sedins, like thirty picks apart owned (even though my team sucked)

That was pretty slick. No one wanted a lone Sedin, and the hilarious thing was that for like 15 picks leading up to your second one, everyone was all, "OMG I can't believe stab is going to get away with it! Anyway, I'm picking <inevitably player that let's stab get away with it>!"

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I think we should be able to talk about whatever we want including undrafted players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Habibi posted:

That was pretty slick. No one wanted a lone Sedin, and the hilarious thing was that for like 15 picks leading up to your second one, everyone was all, "OMG I can't believe stab is going to get away with it! Anyway, I'm picking <inevitably player that let's stab get away with it>!"

No the hilarious thing is that Daniel Sedin is broken and lovely now so it was actually a fair place for him to be drafted (this is not so funny for Canucks fans though).

Zodijackylite posted:

I, Zodijackylite, hereby renew my management of the New York Rangers.

Are you going to take Ladd and Nash with your first two picks again?

• Locked thread