Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Paulocaust posted:

Not being able to discuss players also leads to poo poo like Andrew Ladd; franchise player, which is hilarious.

Andrew Ladd got picked like 25th. If Zletters forgot there were better players than Andrew Ladd available at 25th, I dunno what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

I don't have strong feelings either way, but defending a pick is half the fun. If people are seriously worried that a bunch of people on the internet will mock them for not choosing what others see as the best player in the forum nerd fantasy hockey game then they need to step away from their computers or phone, take a deep breath and really assess where they are in life.

We're all participating in a nerd fantasy hockey game so we probably should assess our lives anyways.

Either way I fully agree with Paulocaust. How hard is it to limit comparisons to players who were already picked and comment on the players you didn't pick when they actually get picked? The answer is not hard because that's what happened in the first thread and it worked just fine.

e: and random.org is all you need for the draft order.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 16, 2014

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

Andrew Ladd got picked like 25th. If Zletters forgot there were better players than Andrew Ladd available at 25th, I dunno what to say.

Pietrangelo was drafted right after him. Also Chara, Doughty, Neal, etc..

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Paulocaust posted:

Pietrangelo was drafted right after him. Also Chara, Doughty, Neal, etc..

Yes. My point is that he didn't forget about them. He thought Ladd was better than them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

Yes. My point is that he didn't forget about them. He thought Ladd was better than them.

He might not have thought about it very hard and could have reconsidered his plan if there were a bunch of posts talking up Pietrangelo, Keith and Doughty before his pick.

Let's not pretend we didn't forget about certain players in later rounds or that we're immune to being influenced.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Somebody needs to draft strictly based on Corsi so we can go into 200 pages of nerdrage about whether it's a meaningful stat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spamtron7000 posted:

Somebody needs to draft strictly based on Corsi so we can go into 200 pages of nerdrage about whether it's a meaningful stat.

Gonna draft based on Kordic.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Let's not pretend we didn't forget about certain players in later rounds or that we're immune to being influenced.

Eh, it can also be used to your advantage. Talk up a bunch of players to distract from the guy you actually have your eye on. It's not like everyone's going to be posting a long list of their potential targets every other post.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Look can we just get this poo poo started so I can pick Jimmy Howard 7th overall already?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I'll take Anaheim, first pic Pronger

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
ONE (1) TEAM REMAINING

Who wants to be the Los Angeles Kings of Anaheim.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Spamtron7000 posted:

that's pretty much what I did last time :(

**my team ended up awesome. I've made some adjustments to my formulas this time around, so I'm expecting an even better result :)

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

This sounds like fun. I'll take the Kings.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

johnfw50 posted:

This sounds like fun. I'll take the Kings.

Welcome onboard!

ANNNNND we done. Will have the order up shortly and we can get started.

Tips and tricks for a successful draft

6 hours / pick during normal NA daytime-ish hours. If you don't have time to effortpost your pick, just post it quick and then when you do have time come back in and explain it (don't edit the original post, post a new one so it doesn't get missed). If you're European, dunno, we'll figure something out. Are you European and not named Rutkowski? Let us know.

If you know you're going to be unavailable, and your pick is coming up, please PM me a list or email it to me at MYNAMEWITHOUT7hmdalyfrey@gmail.com. Alternately, post here and just say that you'll be back at x time.

If you're going to be unavailable for a few days or a week or something let us know and we'll figure out the best way to handle it on a case by case basis. Maybe someone else picking for you, maybe a list, maybe you just skip and defer all your picks until you get back. Whatever.

Please effortpost. Yes it's nerdy to get into really into a draft like this, but it's also what makes it fun.

Update the google docs spreadsheet as you go. (uhhh, someone want to set one up? otherwise I'll do it tonight. I'll probably set up an excel sheet again as well.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There were 30 items in your list. Here they are in random order:
1.Colorado Avalanche -- Boomer the Cannon
2.Buffalo Sabres -- Starsfan
3.New York Rangers -- Zodjkhskdfh
4.Winnipeg Jets -- tofes
5.Edmonton Oilers -- Danny LeFever
6.Anaheim Ducks -- DO YALL WANT A BOXC
7.Vancouver Canucks -- Verviticus
8.Tampa Bay Lightning -- Infidel Castro
9.Florida Panthers -- fits
10.Nashville Predators -- Laderhan
11.Columbus Blue Jackets -- ThinkTank
12.Chicago Blackhawks -- Jordan7hm
13.Ottawa Senators -- JoelJoel
14.Montreal Canadiens -- stab
15.Minnesota Wild -- lazerwolf
16.Arizona Coyotes -- Rutkowski
17.Washington Capitals -- the talent deficit
18.Boston Bruins -- Jamwad Hilder
19.Calgary Flames -- mennoknight
20.Dallas Stars -- Twin Cinema
21.Philadelphia Flyers -- mentholmoose
22.Carolina Hurricanes -- eXXon
23.New York Islanders -- Pat Clements
24.San José Sharks -- Habibi
25.Detroit Red Wings -- VJeff
26.Los Angels Kings -- johnfw50
27.Saskatoon "St. Louis" Blues -- Stickarts
28.New Jersey Devils -- T-Bone
29.Toronto Maple Leafs -- paulocast
30.Pittsburgh Penguins -- Ginette Reno

Timestamp: 2014-07-16 17:28:28 UTC

I don't think you're getting Karlsson this time paulocast.

Boomer the Cannon is on the board, with Starsfan and Zletters on deck.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cool, 22nd is nearly the opposite of the 7th spot that I picked in last time.

I don't expect I'll get the same player in the first round either, but we'll see how many Andrew Ladds go in the top 20.

e: Speaking of nerdy, now is the time for me to recall that I participated in a live fantasy draft in high school in ... 2000 or so? We ran a league using FHL and I fondly recall some annoying poo poo constantly spamming every about Wes Walz, as well as my franchise having elite youngsters like Janne Niinimaa, Sergei Samsonov and Jeff O'Neill.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 16, 2014

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ooh I'll take 11th. I actually get to go more than once a week this year!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I picked 2nd last time, so I am happy to pick 20th. I am also willing to move up, preferably in the 8-13 zone. I think that's allowed?

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Top ten pick. Sweeet.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

New thread or we getting this underway here?

e: also, are we updating picked players in the OP or in a google doc/sheet?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

New thread or we getting this underway here?

e: also, are we updating picked players in the OP or in a google doc/sheet?

We post in this thread.

I think he's gonna make a spreadsheet and put it on google docs like last year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I picked 2nd last time, so I am happy to pick 20th. I am also willing to move up, preferably in the 8-13 zone. I think that's allowed?

I was all for pick trading, but it was decided that would be too complicated. People agreed on being able to swap entire draft orders if you want.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

I was all for pick trading, but it was decided that would be too complicated. People agreed on being able to swap entire draft orders if you want.

If you want to do this, then I am down.

Yeah, I understand not wanting to trade draft picks. After a few weeks, I tended to rely on whose turn it was to figure out how soon I was going to pick again.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twin Cinema posted:

It is allowed. Trades of picks are not. Flip picks now or forever hold your peace.

(Also, I'd switch with you if you like. I picked around 20th last year and liked the spot).
Ignore this. I'd like to try something different this year anyway.

We post in this thread. We'll use a spreadsheet to hold the picks.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 16, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
eh nm

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
24th last year 25th this year are you loving making GBS threads me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
thats what you get for welching on your toxx

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm not welching ffs, I'm just taking forever bcause I'm lazy. :mad:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
I'm sure Howard will still be there at the end of the first round, relax

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i think vjeff should get howard as his first pick if he doesnt finish his toxx by then

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Didn't Taylor Hall get picked 2nd last time? I'm not picking Taylor Hall 2nd this time. Probably.

If I remember correctly I was 4th or 5th selection last draft. It's like the list generator knows that Buffalo belongs somewhere near the top.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Starsfan posted:

Didn't Taylor Hall get picked 2nd last time? I'm not picking Taylor Hall 2nd this time. Probably.

If I remember correctly I was 4th or 5th selection last draft. It's like the list generator knows that Buffalo belongs somewhere near the top.

Yeah, Twin Cinema picked him I think.

An interesting choice.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i went from the 2011 canucks to the 2014 canucks in one year :(

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The pressure of potentially screwing up and picking Taylor Hall 2nd overall is too much for me, I will trade my spot in the draft to anyone in the 10-20 middle range of the order. I feel like last time having two picks that happened more or less right after eachother caused me to reach on some players I figured I needed because I wouldn't get to pick again in 55 odd selections. Anyone who is interested in that range can claim my spot and we'll switch.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
29th is actually really good but I will trade it because I am also good

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Starsfan posted:

The pressure of potentially screwing up and picking Taylor Hall 2nd overall is too much for me, I will trade my spot in the draft to anyone in the 10-20 middle range of the order. I feel like last time having two picks that happened more or less right after eachother caused me to reach on some players I figured I needed because I wouldn't get to pick again in 55 odd selections. Anyone who is interested in that range can claim my spot and we'll switch.

Now this, I will do. Want the 12th?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
30th owns. Picking twice in a row owns.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Now this, I will do. Want the 12th?

sounds good. Flip Buffalo to 12th in the order and Chicago to 2nd.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I feel like last time having two picks that happened more or less right after eachother caused me to reach on some players I figured I needed because I wouldn't get to pick again in 55 odd selections.

Yeah that was my problem and why I ended up with Cam Ward as my starter. My choice was "pick Cam Ward now or run with a starter who is seen as the 120th most valuable player in the league."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah that was my problem and why I ended up with Cam Ward as my starter. My choice was "pick Cam Ward now or run with a starter who is seen as the 120th most valuable player in the league."

Shoulda gone with the 120th most valuable player in the league.

• Locked thread