Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hi, I live in Alberta and have a car. :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It would be tragic if this happened leaving Edmonton.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AI Canada: My pothole could beat up your pothole

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

North of provost:

Maybe it'll improve aerodynamics. It works for golf balls.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wish I'd thought of EAGLEBADGERBEAR as a username. :saddowns:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah, but the cost of living there restricts you to owning a Geo Metro. :saddowns:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

neckbeard posted:

Did anyone check out Rock'n August in St Albert this weekend? I skipped on Friday because of the weather, went to the show & shine on Saturday, but I had to work til 4, so the majority of vehicles had already left.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about this beast:

Chevrolet Chevy II SS by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Now if only we could get the modern SS in Canada. :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Heated underground parking. :smugdog:

No personal garage. :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alright, which one of you is roaming around Calgary in the wood-paneled Grand Wagoneer? :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Watched some people slipping and sliding around downtown this afternoon. Being me, I was loving kicking the rear end out a bit when it was a clear road. As much as I want a RWD machine, there are times I do like my AWD.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

-30 is hardly deserving of an extreme cold weather report; wimps.

Until you're out there trying to start the car when it's -60 out you don't know cold. :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 1, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The thing about not driving to work is I forgot to get the snow tires on. Gotta get on that :v:

(Actually I haven't had any problems with the all-seasons driving around today [slow down!] but I already own the winter tires, may as well get them on. It may be low rent, but my old Escape is good in the snow.)

Unrelatedly, when looking at possibly sporty sedans for the future almost every god drat thing sold around here is AWD. I want RWD you bastards. :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It would be nice if the legislature would take a pay cut if they want to cut government spending.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hey, what the hell is this white stuff all over the ground.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

RWD cars are fine with proper winter tires and prudent driving.*

*Empty parking lots, etc exempted.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder if the dollar will ever crawl back up to near parity again. Just as soon as I started looking at American cars it tanks. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As a native Haligonian, I'm appalled by other so-called 'donairs'. :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jamal posted:

A donair and a gyro are the same thing, right? In Missoula we have a ton of greek gyro places, and I get one on pretty much a weekly basis. I always think about trying that donair place in Lethbridge but it doesn't look very good.

Similar but not the same. In my experience the meat in a gyro isn't the same spices, and donairs require a proper donair sauce.

They're like cousins, except the donair is the hot cousin, and the gyro is the ugly one who tries and tries to be the hot one but never quite succeeds.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jonathan posted:

The life of a Newfie: Can't hold job as Walmart greeter in a province that has no work. Books flight with Capital One mastercard to Alberta, gets hired on, skips from job to job making $10,000 per month, rents a single bedroom, somehow is broke at the end of each month. Shops for things by the bi-weekly payments. Has a sled, an ATV, A lifted diesel truck fitted out with every cheesy accessory from Newfie Speed & Sport (Canadian Tire). Don't forget the "East Coast Lifestyle" sticker.

Then the price of oil tanks, and the Newfie is now making $2500 a month and has $8500 in payments, a cocaine habit and a child with a Welfare queen. Time to head back to Newfoundland claiming he "misses the sea" and ignore debt collectors for the next 6 years.

Rinse repeat.

Sounds about right.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Senõr, would ya like some fish 'n brewz?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

From canpol:

HookShot posted:

The BC government is going to pass a law allowing cops to ticket people going slow in the fast lane on highways.

Come on Alberta.

E: unless there already is one. I've never looked. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Amos Moses posted:

While driving to Edmonton I got waved into an RCMP traffic stop blitz thing.

Nothing wrong except my passenger wasn't wearing a seat belt as we'd just left a parking lot.

The RCMP ticketed my passenger who is over 18 for $115. Said passenger has no drivers license, is not registered to the vehicle..

I'm having trouble finding anything that says they should actually ticket the passenger let alone how enforceable a fine issued to a passenger would be.

Section 82(2)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Amos Moses posted:

I'm not a clever man. The passenger does not fall in the criteria of a or b, they're 27.

Be patient with me I'll get it eventually. If I'm reading that correctly I understand I didn't get the ticket because the person did not meet those criteria but why did that person get the ticket? How are they even going to enforce paying it if there person (for medical reasons) will never have a drivers license or own a vehicle. Hell it took them forever to actually verify who the passenger was as the only form of ID is a birth certificate. There were alot of trips back and forth from the officers car for further identifying questions.

I've got no experience with tickets myself but the folks we were talking to in the city about the trip up were telling us if you don't pay it usually they make you if you try to get a license or register a vehicle.

I'm in the boat of just pay it it's only $115 but the passenger is physically disabled and that's 1/4 of their monthly income they were saying.

1) The person not wearing the belt gets the ticket. It's as simple as that.

2) There are medical exemptions, see section 88.

quote:

(1) Section 82 does not apply to a person if a duly qualified medical practitioner has signed a letter certifying that the person,
(a) for the period stated in the certificate, is unable for medical reasons to be secured in a child seating assembly or seat belt assembly, or
(b) because of size, build or other physical characteristics, cannot be secured in a child seating assembly or seat belt assembly.
(2) A letter referred to in subsection (1) must
(a) be written on the letterhead of the medical practitioner,
(b) include the name and address of the person exempted and the reasons for the exemption, and
(c) state the dates on which the exemption begins and ends.
(3) An exemption under subsection (1) must be for a period of not more than one year.
(4) The driver of a motor vehicle carrying a person who is exempted under subsection (1) must have a copy of the letter referred to in subsection (1).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Noice.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

I just got elected mayor of my small town.

loving kill me now.

Haha, enjoy the responsibility, sucker.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Danielle Smith engaged in some decidedly un-Canadian posting. :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Yeah, we know your're cunts, don't have to remind us.

I've never seen the costco gas station without a line, let alone unused pumps, and they're 10 cents a liter cheaper than everywhere else. They jumped 13 cents overnight too.

I measured out the powerstroke and lincoln a little more carefully an it looks like it would all fit perfect. from turbo to fan, the powerstroke is shorter than the 460. valvecover to valve cover it's about 4" wider, and would almost be touching the a/c evaporator and brake master cylinder. At he front of the engine, the power steering pump would sit where the 460s huge a/c unit is. I'm just not sure if it would sit low enough in the car for the turbo to tuck in under the cowl.

Why are you hiding in the bushes? :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There was a dude in a JDM-something with a massive fart-pipe driving (terribly) around the central north 'burbs today; I hope to god it wasn't one of you lot.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I drove from Saskatoon to Ft. McMurray today, and I have to say I'm surprised by how normal Ft. Mac. appears. I'm far enough north that sunset is happening now (almost 11pm) but other than that, it's a fairly normal western Canadian mid-sized city. I was honestly expecting to see Ferraris and Lambos and other exotics, but all I saw on highway 63 was a Mercedes wagon-thing that probably costs as much as a house in Edmonton, and a riced-up Mitsubishi with a stupid spoiler. Obviously, the oil-price fall and associated economic downturn are the driving factors, but I kind of regret not seeing as many ludicrous Italian cars as a typical Top Gear episode. And highway 63 was nowhere near as intimidating as I had been led to believe. For one thing, the twinning is happening at a cracking pace, and the construction zones - which are frequent but mostly short - are fairly well-behaved.

Lifted trucks man, it's all stupid lifted trucks.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jonathan posted:

Browning sticker is the male version of the roxy sticker.

Egads. :monocle:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's still too hot out, b'ys.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's cool out again. :toot:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

That particular McDonalds location is just magical and if its anything like the one and only time I've been in there its a place everyone should go to once in their life.

I've been there early on a weekend morning, fighting a hangover. It's a fascinating spectrum of humanity.

Also, hail-damaged super sales anyone? :eng101:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

One day I'll have a garage so I can work on my car(s), and indulge in the ancient ritual of the pick-n-pull. :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anyone seen anything listed as a hail sale after last week? :haw:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah. Some dealership in Lacombe is trying to flog new Ford's for cheap.

Offering 10k off employee pricing on Mustangs.

Just think of hail damage as dimples, like on a golf ball.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The invisible hand isn't even giving a reach-around.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm tempted to mosey up to Lacombe today to look at the state of their hail sale mustangs; with Costco membership they're being sold for $11k under invoice, iirc.

Do I really want to buy a new car after just paying off the old one...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have to correct myself, it's 10k below employee price + 1k Costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

I'm running to the pick-n-pull today, anybody want me to look out for anything?

My dignity. :smith: