Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

8ender posted:

autopartsway.ca sometimes has some parts that are worth the price but their website is a mess. One of the best parts of Rockauto is that incredibly spartan and solid drill down menu system for finding parts.

Autopartsway sucks, no two ways about it. Their customer service is terrible and they are often way overpriced. For example, the parts I need for my brake job (one of the three maintenance tasks I have planned) would cost more than $800 + shipping from them. The exact same parts from Pelican will cost me $550 ($440 US) including shipping, plus whatever duty and brokerage is incurred (which won't be that bad because they're like literally the only parts warehouse that I know of that gives you the option of shipping by USPS/Canada Post).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

RIP Powershift 1937-2018

He never saw it coming (sliding backward off the road)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

El Scotch posted:

From canpol:

Come on Alberta.

E: unless there already is one. I've never looked. :v:

While I applaud this effort, it does nothing to address the much larger issue at play here; driving while British Columbian.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

If you're not rollin' on Daytons and big pimpin' in your black gold Lincoln this summer, you're dead to me. DEAD TO ME

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Hypothetically speaking, Mr. Mayor, if the rest of us AB goons formed a construction company, would you be able to use your influence to secure us some sweet, no-bid contracts?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Isn't it just outside Strathmore?

E: yup, it is. Now we just need an adult-sized track around here, preferably not one built by knobs kthx

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 20, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

I just saw at a local dealer you can get a brand new Nissan Micra for $9998 :canada:

I didn't even know that Nissan brought the Micra back, let alone get one for under $10K. :stare:

Are they as lovely as I suspect they are?

No, they're worse.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Tell me something; how does the Dilawri Group keep getting dealer franchises? Every interaction I've ever had with any of their operations has been overwhelmingly negative.

Are the manufacturers just that loving stupid?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

What the hell is with these insane religious ads on TV? I'm in the crew room at work and I caught this ad out of the corner of my eye that was talking about some biblical quote about Syria or some other thing.

What the gently caress kind of country am I living in now?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Hit the NDP button like a laser-guided Communist Manifesto

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I'd be down for the 25th, but my weekends these days are pretty jammed so I probably wouldn't be able to make it until early evening, say about 8ish.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

TireRack. They treated me very well.

For local, I've also been impressed by the customer service at Kal Tire.

That depends on the Kal Tire. Ask me about taking my BMW's summer tires back to them three times this spring because they couldn't be assed to follow work orders properly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Speaking of the snow, you guys still planning to come out? It's probably gonna be lovely. I could reschedule if you guys would prefer to come on a more pleasant day.

I'm not so sure it's going to snow this weekend. Only EnviroCan is calling for snow right now, while the other models are predicting a cool, if otherwise decent day on Saturday.

But yeah, a backup plan might be a good idea.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Bought the beef today. You guys coming out this weekend or should I freeze it for another time?

No one's PMed me for directions yet.

Pee Em sent.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I'm not gonna be there until later, probably 7ish.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah, that was a good evening...I wish I was able to be down earlier!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

It's actually 87 cents, but i was leaving room for it to go back up over the lifetime of the car.

You say that as if gas didn't go up to $1.00 literally overnight :argh:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

McTinkerson posted:

I did something incredibly stupid and bid on the motorcycle equivalent of a BiTurbo at an antique auction May 10. Said MFG has zero dealers in Canada and prior to splitting the company business units into separate entities, used to make shotguns.
I hope for everyone's entertainment that no one else is as dumb or dumber than I to bid on it.

Benelli? BSA?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

You sure about the ID? I've never seen a cockroach in Alberta or Saskatchewan, nor heard a reliable report of one. I could be wrong, of course, but there are a few beetles and other harmless insects that look like cockroaches if all you get is a quick glimpse as they disappear under the 'fridge or something.

This. There are no cockroaches in Alberta; they spend part of their life cycle outside and it's too cold for them here.

slidebite posted:

Prentice is going to be in Toronto on a bank board within a couple days.

Fixed that for you.

I would celebrate with bubbly, but that's the drink of the petty bourgeoisie. Vodka for everyone! :ussr:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I can't wait for tomorrow to hear all the pissing and moaning.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

So that's what I've been dealing with for the last few months. :suicide:

Wow, that's officially A Mess. It sounds like you've more or less got it under control, but what happens when/if said person can't pay back the remainder?

Also speaking of legal problems:

The Stupid loving Sun posted:

Calgary man booted from Canada's Worst Driver TV show nailed by cops travelling nearly 180 km/h on Stoney Trail
TV show dubbed Schurink "most reckless" driver ever featured

His segment on Canada’s Worst Driver ended with him kicked off the show and Calgary police tipped off to his many, many examples of bad behaviour behind the wheel. Saturday night in the city’s northeast, local traffic cops made Scott Willem Schurink’s acquaintance again.

It was happenstance, Staff Sgt. Paul Stacey said, one of his guys had the radar gun up on Stoney Tr. N.E. near 16 Ave. when Schurink drove by, allegedly doing 176 km/h in a 100 zone. Calgary police have known about him since 2010 when he was a contestant on the Canada’s Worst Driver TV show. On the show, which was televised across the country, Schurink said he’d driven drunk, driven well over 200 km/h, left the scene of a collision and driven under a false name. They booted him from the show in the season’s second week. At the speed he’s alleged to have been driving Saturday night, several years later, Schurink, now 30, faces an automatic court date. He was also allegedly driving while suspended, so he’s lost his car for 30 days too. “I’m not sure what makes him feel invincible, but it seems that he hasn’t learned a thing,” Stacey said. “This isn’t a mistake. This is just a blatant disregard for everyone’s safety on the road, including his own,” he said.

Reached Sunday evening, Schurink told the Sun the officer had an axe to grind. “I feel my character was really slandered by the way I was represented on the show. And it has definitely affected my dealings with the police since the airing of the show.” Schurink said. “But I figure that I acted young and dumb and said some dumb stuff and that’s how they portrayed me. It certainly is not who I am, and is not my driving style. I could produce 100 people I know that would support my skill as a driver, as well as countless others who have since driven with me, to see that I am not such a horrible person.”

Schurink didn’t answer whether or not he was speeding Saturday night. Daniel Bridgman, a one-time friend who was Schurink’s nominator on the show, told the Sun, “This still won’t stop him from driving.” On the show, when the host told Schurink looking cool on TV wasn’t going to work out how he had planned, Schurink fired back, “Wow. I’m about to cry — shed a tear.”

An episode later, he did.

:laffo:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I just saw a brown Trans Am turbo downtown :stare:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Last I heard Costco bought their gas from the lowest bidder. There's so many rumors about this stuff its impossible to keep track. I know Co-op gets their gas from shell though and their premium is ethanol free.

I thought all premium gas (with the exception if Husky and some of Petro-Canada's) was ethanol-free in Canada?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Anything in the 70s era that looks runnable?

Good Lord your new av man :stare:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

malaise-era British

This is a tautology.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

That is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Doesn't mention that it's once in the Albatros' lifetime, but still...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

What does rolling coal mean? Do I even want to know what it means?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

If any of you guys are skywatchers at all, go outside because there are some spectacular aurora going on right now!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Well, the geomagnetic storm that caused last night's aurora should continue almost as stong tonight; as long as there isn't any cloud cover, you should be able to see aurora overhead pretty much everywhere in Canada tonight!

http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity/kp

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I'm 50/50 whether or not I'm going to be there; either I will be there on static with the T-28 or I'm going to be up in Red Deer flying with the Air Cadets in the Stearman that weekend.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

I vote for Zama

Heh Zama, and it's companion shithole Rainbow Lake. Best story I ever heard out of the place was the time some dude stole the liquor store. Not stole FROM the liquor store; stole the liquor store.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Look I get that Edmonton is a shithole but is it really bad enough that people feel the need to divert flights because of bad behaviour and bomb threats all the time?

Seriously, Transport Canada keeps stats on this sort of thing and flights to Edmonton are affected disproportionately by this sort of interference.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where can I look up these stats? Edmonton international is a pretty pleasant airport compared to others in the country (looking at you Pearson, you multi level poo poo hole).

You can read all about that poo poo on CADORS.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Guys, it's too loving hot here.

Nah, it's not hot enough. I love it when it's this hot.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I thought all the Newfs went home.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

That is literally the only Newf I speak. You'd think they'd teach it to us in school like the do French.

It would certainly be more useful. After all the only thing you need to know about talking to a Québécois is to speak in English but start all your sentences with fuckin' and they'll understand you perfectly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

They're cloud seeding a storm that's almost directly over the city.

It's like they want to gently caress poo poo up.

It's chemtrails dude :tinfoil:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Tommychu posted:

Oh I'm a hardcore RockAuto customer. But Toyota is weird, there's stuff that's actually cheaper (or close enough and in stock or at least in Edmonton) often enough that I'll at least call a dealer before I checkout at Rock.

BMW is like that too. For all that Calgary BMW is a lovely, awful dealership with the worst service department I've ever dealt with, their parts counter is on top of their game. Quite often their stuff is competitive price-wise with the American parts houses once you factor shipping, exchange and duty.

If they don't have it in stock (and they frequently don't) 99% of the time it'll arrive the next day. Hell one day I ordered something first thing in the morning and it arrived from Vancouver later that afternoon.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 17, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

Yikes. We got some hail here but nothing like that.

Active tornado warning for Calgary and SW.

https://twitter.com/KatieDickinson/status/623932206789099520/photo/1

That's not a funnel cloud. Wrong shape, the cloud base is all wrong...I could go on but that would just be overkill.

I got hailed on pretty hard today; golf-ball sized at least apparently. I have a dent on the roof and a dent on the hood but as far as I can tell that's all I've got...when the light gets lower later this evening I'll have a closer look. Here's hoping that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

That particular McDonalds location is just magical and if its anything like the one and only time I've been in there its a place everyone should go to once in their life.

Ahh yes, the infamous Crack Mac's (partially hidden from view). The cops have supposedly cleaned up the area a bit, but that just means the crack deals are happening in the alleyways rather than out in the open.