Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My friend from Vancouver calls Newfies in the Oilpatch "Salt Water Pakis"

I asked him why he calls them that and he said "Cause they're everywhere".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GrantC posted:

Since this is for Alberta (with a decent Edmonton presence) am I going to get to meet anyone face to face at the weeknight evening autocrosses put on by ASA on the Castrol West short course?

http://www.karelo.com/enter_res.php?&BID=92&Ev=14445

(slight conflict of interest since I'm part of the club that's organizing them, if I'm pushing the limits of The Rules let me know.)

If anyone gets pissy because you're promoting local grassroots racing events, they shouldn't be in AI.

On a side note, is there or has there ever been a snowy autocross event ? I have a jeep that absolutely motors through deep snow.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McTinkerson posted:

When we still had access to the Edmonton Garrison Taxiway, I ran auto x events all winter long. Sometimes we would get lucky and the wind or the facility manager didn't plow the runway.

The Edmonton Rally Club runs winter rally-x events that are amazing, plus there's ice racing. No beuno on tracking a JK or any other 4wd Jeep though due to the CoG.

I've got a Alberta motorsports events megapost in the works for this very thread.

EFB: drat you Grant!

But there have been competitive jeeps in autocross. Grassroots Magazine did a cover story on one not long ago. I know our events out at Boundary Bay outside Vancouver had some clauses regarding jeeps and 4x4's though. That surface was grippy as gently caress though. I was running Cheap Kumho tires on my Mustang and they were shredded after a weekend. Of course that car was not set up well and it was hard not to understeer or power oversteer.

With that said mine is roughly 8" wider than factory and the suspension is roughly 1" lower.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GrantC posted:

Yes, your RX-7 club Winter Auto-x's were what got us hooked on "winter hoonage".

If it looks like this:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2010-race-jeep-cherokee-build/27247/page1/

Or this:

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=46249

You're good to go.

If that's enough for it to be wider than it is tall you're not excluded due to rollover reasons. Otherwise, "Yes, in the rules it's specifically excludedfrom stock classes where you can't change the width & weight.".

Yeah it would have to be just for fun. I'll get out the measuring tape when I get home. Traveling back from Drayton Valley to G.P. today.

Riding as a passenger in a company crew cab, and the driver has "Hit music" on the radio.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The station playing has some phone app you can download and let's you vote up or down the songs they're playing and also comment.

I'm pretty sure I would be banned first comment.

All the single ladies all the single ladies all the single ladies.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm actually doing that as we speak. I'm setting up a flat tech with a winch at the front and a roller at the rear like a mini oilfield bed truck.

Then I'm buying a cheap tent trailer, cutting the suspension, adding sliders under the frame and a hook on the front. Then I'll winch it up onto the deck for camping. Bolt it down and go. It will work as a base camp.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phy posted:

yegg
"yeg"
noun (NORTH AMERICAN) informal
a burglar or safecracker.

So what's the closest road course to Calgary then? I've been muttering about getting in some track time on my bike for years now.

My friend who competes in Supersport and also runs in superbike with his supersport has competed at the Edmonton track a few times.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any motor of decent size has the ability to make good power if you can get it to breath, rev and get the valve timing to maximize cylinder pressure.

Kenny Duttweiler used to build Buick v6 engines that made 600hp n/a with a class restricted 450 cfm carb.

He's the one who built that grand national that Jay Leno did the burnout contest against Tim toolman Taylor in the Saleen road car.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I'm on a Grande Prairie facebook group that I enjoy trolling once in awhile. It's mostly full of drunk driving bigots posting pictures of people in normal cars and calling them FAGGOTS and complaining about DIRKA RAG HEADS.

So a few months ago an article came out in the states about this guy who pulled into a truck stop with his pickup, and as he went to get out a nude man from the bushes ran out and jumped into his vehicle and tried to sexually assault him. The driver jumped out, phoned the police. When the nude guy was arrested he claimed that the pickup owner had his tow mirrors out which was a signal that he wanted gay truckstop sex.

So now everyone posts pictures of pickups with tow mirrors around town. The "community" seems to be divided amongst coal rollers and people who make fun of coal rollers. Apparently I'm a "hater" who just can't afford to role coal.

PS I stole that headache rack/exhaust stack combo picture and posted it there, most people asked where to buy it and if it sounded as good as it looked.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone recommend a website that does an appraisal on what my vehicle is worth ? They seem to be more ameri-centric. Thinking of returning my jeep to stock and trying to sell it. The ones i've tried don't seem to ask for mileage at all. They claim my used jeep is worth 23,000. Haha I don't think so.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy poo poo this wind. I love wind but this much is making me worry about the roof of my house !

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Viggen posted:

is that just melded into the plastic bumper?

Nope, its an aluminum, probably an Ali Arc. http://www.aliarc.com/products/?sect=pickups_2&brand_id=10

Not cheap. They're pretty much the standard moose bumper for Semi trucks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Hey, how about that 18*c yesterday.

oh look, -26*c monday night.

Hey hey compared to last week our jobs are more like vacations now!

Boo mud, Yay frozen mud!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone tell me a good place to get a Bluetooth transponder for my odb2 port ? I want to run Torque or whatever on my ghetto dash mounted android tablet.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, good to know I was hoping to just leave it plugged in always. What's the power draw like ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tommychu posted:

I haven't measured it, but I can't see it drawing a ton of power. The only reason I killed that battery is it was sitting for 3 months with the car stationary, and while the battery probably would have survived even at that point had I charged it, it was just discharged enough to freeze at the first cold snap we got. Plus it was a cheapshit battery.
(hell, I had it constantly plugged into the Vibe for a few months prior to putting it into the Kia and forgetting about it, but I DD that car so it never caused an issue)

Ok cool so a few days not driving here and there will likely be fine, it's an interstate battery which is fresh, the old one treated me well despite draining it dry many times while camping.

I've drawn up a cool relay circuit to use with a second battery that all my auxillary poo poo will run off of, amps, lights etc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How the hell do I sort by shipping time on amazon. Don't really care if the shipping is free if it won't arrive until january.

edit: Got one off ebay shipped from Winnipeg for $16. Thanks for the answers. Now I wonder if I can get torque to auto-clear my POS evap code on startup.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 20, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

If it's not prime eligible, it's probably coming from China/Hong Kong. So if you want to make sure it's quick, see if it's sold or fullfilled by Amazon.

That said, seems to me mine only took about 2 weeks. Hell, I ordered a soft case for my drone last month from Hong Kong on Amazon and I get the thing, I poo poo you not, 4 days later. Blew me away.

Yup I've been bringing in a ton of lightbars from hongkong and they typically arrive in 7 days. It's cheaper and quicker to ship from China than California. gently caress you Monoprice and everyone between them and me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

I am intrigued by this statement. What kind of light bars? Off road/white light stuff or whacker/fire/ems stuff?

Yeah basically cheap chinese Rigid brand knockoffs. They work well, I've gotten the lens to fog up inside after pressure washing, but if you run it for awhile it will evaporate.

http://stores.ebay.ca/XXL-Technology/LED-working-light-/_i.html?_fsub=5195793015&_sid=1076333635&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 Is the ebay store I have been using however if you just search ebay with "light bar 30" or whatever size you want you can usually find something.

The newer curved bars are much better than the flat ones. the spotlight is stretched out more without wasting light like the "flood/spot" combo bars.

I just send one of these to my father for his birthday.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301270699651?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I had a chance to see it light up, and gently caress me does it work well. I use mine for traveling highway 40 at night, there are elk all over the place right now.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 20, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my OBD2 dongle arrived. I ordered it from eBay and it showed up from amazon. Either I'm losing my mind or I ordered two. I have it as a purchased item in my ebay profile.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McTinkerson posted:

This snow is awesome! I made it to work in record time this morning. I knew wranglers were beasts off road but being able to plow through 50cm drifts in 2wd is just way too much fun. I also think it's safe to say that for the money, the Grabber AT2's were worth it. They're not fantastic on ice, but they're a hell of a lot better than the stock dueller rh-s.

Try airing the tires down to 15psi. It doubles your traction.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Iltis are garbage.

Not everything Bombardier touched with a defence contract was garbage though. I have a Bombardier version of the m35a2 and its decent.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Exactly. Unimogs for example with the gas motors were 2.2L and 80horsepwer. Worked fine, ran off any lovely watered down gasoline you could find.

M35a2's and they're 5 ton bigger brothers can run on diesel, gasoline, alcohol or anything flammable. They installed turbos on the multifuel motors not to add horsepower, but to reduce the smoke.

Anyways my 6x6 runs on a 3.8L turbo diesel and makes around 170hp and 400ft-lb. It is more than enough power. Sure I could fit a modern duramax or whatever in it, but improving acceleration isn't going to do much. The vehicle will still be slow, but now it will burn more fuel and be harder to work on.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmm, layoffs layoffs layoffs. I wonder what sort of forclosures will be on the table by spring breakup.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its a bit worrying but I think anyone who hasn't been really dumb with their money should roll out OK. I wanted to convert my truck into a flatdeck toy hauler and get a side-byside ATV and a camping trailer but instead I'm going to just sit on money and wait. I guess it will be another year of tent camping.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The oil rich kids don't live in Edmonton or Calgary. They're in Hinton/Edison/GP/Mac. And 400K will get you a pretty nice place in a few of those towns.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just hope if I get laid off that I get rehired. I can find work elsewhere but I really like working for the company I'm at.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My company's stocks also lost a full dollar overnight. From summer till now they went from 18 down to 4.50. Time to buy buy buy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Powershift and I pretty much take over any thread with our own bullshit. To get back on track:

Targa Newfoundland. I forgot this existed, I watched the first even coverage via Motoring 2002 or whatever, years ago. I watched a shitload of footage on youtube last night. That poo poo looks fun although I've never driven in an event which requires a navigator/copilot. I suppose some sort of rally videogame would be decent training ?

What sort of rally/offroad races exist in Alberta ? I've got the itch to build up some sort of project. Not to win, just to have fun.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So what cars can take a jump without self destructing ? I guess its all in the bumpstop ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait Kastein lives in Alberta ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I have this ram 3/4 ton pickup longbox that I dont use. I've driven it 3 times I think since I purchased it. Thinking of putting it to use when I'm not working hauling poo poo to Vancouver and back. Any idea if i'm just entering a world of pain or if I could make some bucks ?

I'm thinking if i'm only moving stuff or people once in awhile the insurance might cost me more than the profit potential. Less concerned with making a profit, more I just want to offset my traveling costs to vancouver and open up some opportunities for tax writeoffs.

Thoughts ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

That's a big ol' can of worms. Expecially traveling into BC.

Legally, you'd need commercial plates, prorated plates at that, and a CVIP and safety fitness certificate because you're over 4,500kg and crossing a border. Although, you're unlikely to ever get caught unless you drive by a scale hauling something that looks vaguely industrial. Still, you'd need liability to cover any gently caress-ups, and cargo insurance apart from that. Moving people for money is an even bigger shitshow of regulations.

If it's just casual stuff offering half-gas rideshare on kijiji, i'd say go for it. Otherwise i'd find something more constructive to do.

Does that truck even get more than 15mpg highway? doing it in a 30mpg car would already cut your traveling costs in half.

Damnit all I want to do is get a nice tax return. Basically, I'm going to Vancouver all the time anyways, but I don't want to do it in a small car because, really do you want to travel hwy40 at night in a Ford Focus ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

It doesn't have to be a ford focus. My thousand dollar beater beemer does 30mpg. I'd take the increased risk of moose decapitation over a boring vehicle to drive. That and it would be a lot easier to get around Vancouver in something that's not a crew cab long box truck.

If you filed a tax return stating you used your vehicle for business without having an actual business to use it for, the gumbent would kick down your door and politely demand their GST cut of it.

I know, but if i'm offering ride shares or importing light bars or something from vancouver, I could operate at a loss. Basically I paid way way way too much tax in 2014. I have the worst white people problems.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I used to do this every week, for years. I had the fortune of going through the coast border crossing though. A trick I learned, if you want to suffer an hour wait in the border lineup, 70% of the time they will wave you through after you attempt to declare. I've saved thousands in tax and duty fees. The bigger the order the more likely hood they don't want to do paperwork for all your poo poo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What are people's experience ordering from rockauto into Canada ? Some searches say brokerage and shipping etc are all included in the price. I need some u-joints, ball joints etc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Multi-vehicle ATF instead of ATF-4 in a Chrysler transmission in Alberta... It is going to be too thick or too thin when it's really cold out ? Amsoil says their Multi Vehicle ATF works for ATF-4 requirements until -40 and then cant meet spec.

Ahh gently caress it it's -40 like 3 times a year.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

It's a chrysler transmission, you could put pure baby oil from fresh squished babies, and it's still gonna snap in half by 100k.

I know. And that worries me because im at 162k now. Brother's 300c just poo poo the bed at 110k.

I'm getting some odd behaviour from it when cold, so I'm going to flush it over the grease pit and add some of that Lucas trans fix poo poo. Maybe that will prolong it a bit. Then it's LS swap and 6 speed auto time. Or maybe hemi vvti... but eventually I'd like to ebay turbo it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

ex-cop tauruses starting to hit the auctions. most are AWD/cyclone with column shift, if they were the ecboost it would be a perfect car

so much room for leg activities.

I also saw a hellaflush EG hatch with a fart cannon rolling around the grocery store parking lot in neutral reving like an idiot. I don't know how the gently caress. There are a couple potholes on 67th that run right across, you can't avoid them. most roads have hidden potholes that wreck your poo poo with normal cars. one last year bent the rim on my bmw winters that have as tall of a sidewall as you can fit on the E39.

What are they going for ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

I didn't see, but i'm guessing around 3-5 grand with 150k.

Which auction ? RB ?