Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I don't go into my local arcade often, but every now and again I'll stop by with some friends.

There's always a group of people who play Midnight Maximum Tune and Initial D. What's cool about these racing games is that you get cards which save your car's progress and all that.

Last time I was in there a dude challenged me to race him. I beat him and he turned into a huge human being, ranting and raving about beginners luck and all that (note: not beginner's luck, but OG skill). His friends kinda got in my face a little bit, but all I had to tell them is that if they wanted to fight, we could take it outside. So, yeah, what a buncha pussies.

Anyway, do you guys have any cool stories about arcade crews or just stories that happen to include cool arcade games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

All the arcades around me have been gone for years. :(

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
King of Fighters is hella popular in Mexico so mexican dudes who just moved up to my state would play snk vs capcom at the mall. there was some good competition

i taught a dude who did not speak english Kyo's exceed move after a mirror match. it was a chill arcade. now they're all gone.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah, I guess you could say I ran with a rough crew back in the days when arcades meant something. Part of the national consciousness or whatever, I dunno. There was this old Tilt! arcade at the mall, mostly lovely crane machines and last-gen racing games collecting dust, but what were you expecting? I saw a dual-screen 6-player X-men cab once at a boardwalk arcade in Ocean City, and I just laughed at the thought of it at our Tilt! Probably woulda been stripped for parts in a week.

I still wouldn't trade my time with the JoyBoyz for anything though. We staked out our turf right in the front of the arcade - near the Galaga and Pac-Man machines we used for initiation (my palms still get sore thinking about that, haha) - so that everyone who came or went had to pass through. Most of the young kids would meekly hand over the quarter toll without a complaint, but we occasionally got the little rear end in a top hat who thought he was hot poo poo and had to be 'convinced.' We'd rigged up this PlayChoice 10 to only allow you to select Festers Quest and we'd tell these kids all they had to do to get their stack of quarters back was to beat the first level of any game in the machine. Classic. You mess with the JoyBoyz, you get the Stick.

There was regular trouble, yeah. Always is in tight turf like that. We were in control of our borders for the most part. One side was the Homerz, usually too busy marathoning the Simpsons Arcade Game or Cadillacs and Dinosaurs to cause any real trouble. Casuals, know what I mean? The other border, with NitroCyde, was contested, sure, but we almost always came out on top. For a bunch of car fanatics those were some slow motherfuckers. Fat, too. Guess that's what you get sitting in a cab most of the time. Probably had some strong gas-pedal ankles and that's about it! As a JoyBoy, you always had to adhere to a rigorous calisthenic daily routine to keep your gamer reflexes in top shape, and your body lean and hard, like the cabs of the games we played. Anyway one day we dragged this Centipede cabinet right in front of the Virtua Racing machine and just, like, left it there. Fat bastards couldn't even push it back to get at their precious little polygons. Jock douchebags (don't even get me started on the MS-Jams!)

The Instinx in the back corner really had it out for us though. They would always scream poo poo like 'COMBO BREAKER, YOU GAYBOY MOTHERFUCKERS!' or 'BABILITY, JOYFAGS!' from across the arcade to disrupt concentration when someone was on a serious Raiden run or something. Assholes. For the longest time I never understood why we put up with that poo poo, until we had one cornered one time by the larger claw machine. I swear, the bloodlust in his eyes was serious. Those dudes had seen some poo poo, loving psychopaths. I heard they'd regularly walk across town to this movie theater and blow 20 bucks in one sitting on Time Killers like it was nothing.

Wasn't all bad. Fond memories, for the most part. JoyBoyz for life! And I did learn a lot of life skills, you know? Not just stuff I use in my gaming today, but general things, like brotherhood, and business sense, and the importance of mental and physical strength. And how to give a really, really good handjob. You ever get a handjob from a practiced joystick user? Heaven. Man, I miss those days.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Woah tilt was a chain?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

surc posted:

All the arcades around me have been gone for years. :(

All the arcades in America have been gone for years.

LaTex is either a foreigner or a liar.

Soral
May 30, 2009

a movie theatre in my area got an indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull pinball machine when the movie first came out and the machine broke within a week and they never fixed it. i think its still there. also they have a machine whre you put in 5 dollars and they blow air at you to simulate a hurricane. its really loving stupid.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Soral posted:

a movie theatre in my area got an indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull pinball machine when the movie first came out and the machine broke within a week and they never fixed it. i think its still there. also they have a machine whre you put in 5 dollars and they blow air at you to simulate a hurricane. its really loving stupid.

try to get them to sell you the pinball machine for super cheap and hope it's easy to fix and you can probably make a decent profit

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
this dude used to come into the galaxy where my friend worked and i bummed free movie tickets, and he used to play ddr like crazy, which to be fair so did i. the difference is he could beat any song on any difficulty, and he looked like a god drat pirate. i miss the ddr pirate to be honest.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

me and my friends would play streets of rage and then, fueled by hyperviolence, commit brutal spinning piledrivers on the homeless

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Yeah, I guess you could say I ran with a rough crew back in the days when arcades meant something. Part of the national consciousness or whatever, I dunno. There was this old Tilt! arcade at the mall, mostly lovely crane machines and last-gen racing games collecting dust, but what were you expecting? I saw a dual-screen 6-player X-men cab once at a boardwalk arcade in Ocean City, and I just laughed at the thought of it at our Tilt! Probably woulda been stripped for parts in a week.

I still wouldn't trade my time with the JoyBoyz for anything though. We staked out our turf right in the front of the arcade - near the Galaga and Pac-Man machines we used for initiation (my palms still get sore thinking about that, haha) - so that everyone who came or went had to pass through. Most of the young kids would meekly hand over the quarter toll without a complaint, but we occasionally got the little rear end in a top hat who thought he was hot poo poo and had to be 'convinced.' We'd rigged up this PlayChoice 10 to only allow you to select Festers Quest and we'd tell these kids all they had to do to get their stack of quarters back was to beat the first level of any game in the machine. Classic. You mess with the JoyBoyz, you get the Stick.

There was regular trouble, yeah. Always is in tight turf like that. We were in control of our borders for the most part. One side was the Homerz, usually too busy marathoning the Simpsons Arcade Game or Cadillacs and Dinosaurs to cause any real trouble. Casuals, know what I mean? The other border, with NitroCyde, was contested, sure, but we almost always came out on top. For a bunch of car fanatics those were some slow motherfuckers. Fat, too. Guess that's what you get sitting in a cab most of the time. Probably had some strong gas-pedal ankles and that's about it! As a JoyBoy, you always had to adhere to a rigorous calisthenic daily routine to keep your gamer reflexes in top shape, and your body lean and hard, like the cabs of the games we played. Anyway one day we dragged this Centipede cabinet right in front of the Virtua Racing machine and just, like, left it there. Fat bastards couldn't even push it back to get at their precious little polygons. Jock douchebags (don't even get me started on the MS-Jams!)

The Instinx in the back corner really had it out for us though. They would always scream poo poo like 'COMBO BREAKER, YOU GAYBOY MOTHERFUCKERS!' or 'BABILITY, JOYFAGS!' from across the arcade to disrupt concentration when someone was on a serious Raiden run or something. Assholes. For the longest time I never understood why we put up with that poo poo, until we had one cornered one time by the larger claw machine. I swear, the bloodlust in his eyes was serious. Those dudes had seen some poo poo, loving psychopaths. I heard they'd regularly walk across town to this movie theater and blow 20 bucks in one sitting on Time Killers like it was nothing.

Wasn't all bad. Fond memories, for the most part. JoyBoyz for life! And I did learn a lot of life skills, you know? Not just stuff I use in my gaming today, but general things, like brotherhood, and business sense, and the importance of mental and physical strength. And how to give a really, really good handjob. You ever get a handjob from a practiced joystick user? Heaven. Man, I miss those days.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I am just lucky, is all.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Someone threw tights at me cause I was beating his friend in Virtua Fighter.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

my boys and i kept a tight lock on the primal rage cabinet in my arcade. you think you can step to my chaos play? *is an ape that farts and pisses on you*

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Soral posted:

hurricane machines are the funniest loving thing to see on the east coast, like, in actual places near the ocean. we haven't had a real hurricane in like 8 years but the bitchass ones we did get were stronger than that

the only joy to be had from those machines is to find one in a mall near a hair salon and watch people get in without realizing they just got their hair styled and flip out

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

this place is cool if you live in new england http://www.funspotnh.com/

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

LaTex Fetish posted:

I don't go into my local arcade often, but every now and again I'll stop by with some friends.

There's always a group of people who play Midnight Maximum Tune and Initial D. What's cool about these racing games is that you get cards which save your car's progress and all that.

Last time I was in there a dude challenged me to race him. I beat him and he turned into a huge human being, ranting and raving about beginners luck and all that (note: not beginner's luck, but OG skill). His friends kinda got in my face a little bit, but all I had to tell them is that if they wanted to fight, we could take it outside. So, yeah, what a buncha pussies.

The mental image of arcade gangs is really amusing.

Naw dawg, that side of the 'cade belongs to the Loopmasters, you get anywhere near their 1944 machine and they will gently caress you up

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

u know those little 12-year-old weebs with naruto headbands that hogged the DDR machine? that was my crew.
we attracted a lot of pedophiles

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Frank Horrigan posted:

The mental image of arcade gangs is really amusing.

Naw dawg, that side of the 'cade belongs to the Loopmasters, you get anywhere near their 1944 machine and they will gently caress you up

it's basically exactly like those guys who go to the gym and you never see them do anything except bench press. and on chest day you have to work in with them and somehow they are always there, no matter when you show up.

except they aren't muscular but somehow think they can fight because they can play tekken 4 pretty well. leads to a lot of fights where no one really wins.

always amusing to watch tho

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Reset Button posted:

u know those little 12-year-old weebs with naruto headbands that hogged the DDR machine? that was my crew.
we attracted a lot of pedophiles

tell us about the time you got hosed in the rear end at the naruto DDR crew sleepover

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

My work has a Mideval Madness pinball machine set on freeplay in the break room

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

I doubt that the story related by the OP actually happened... I will believe it if he retells it in Rage Comic form with a "Le True Story Guy" in the final panel. Until then, he's a dishonest queermo and is officially Shunned by the Immper Community.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

conceitedguy posted:

I doubt that the story related by the OP actually happened... I will believe it if he retells it in Rage Comic form with a "Le True Story Guy" in the final panel. Until then, he's a dishonest queermo and is officially Shunned by the Immper Community.

i'm sorry i lied. what really happened was they said mean things to me and i just said "i'm sorry" over and over until I backed myself out and then ran to my car and left in a hurry

sorry guys

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

i'm sorry i lied. what really happened was they said mean things to me and i just said "i'm sorry" over and over until I backed myself out and then ran to my car and left in a hurry

sorry guys

I'm queuing up your probation as we speak. Think before post, next time.

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

Mark Brouhard posted:

tell us about the time you got hosed in the rear end at the naruto DDR crew sleepover

it was a ladycrew, so the only things that got hosed in the rear end were our yaois :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

LaTex Fetish posted:

Anyway, do you guys have any cool stories about arcade crews or just stories that happen to include cool arcade games?

loving A what time warp do you live in and can I come along? I haven't been in an arcade fistfight since I was old enough for that to be acceptable.

Most of the local arcades are gone but Mesa Golfland is still around. Anytime I've been there though it was dead or just kids aged 8-10. OP, were you threatened by a small child? I miss the days of a good street fighter 2 loss inspired punch up.

No Such Thing posted:

me and my friends would play streets of rage and then, fueled by hyperviolence, commit brutal spinning piledrivers on the homeless

That's not an arcade game you stupid loving poseur. You're stuck on a lovely genesis cause you're moms got no more quarters left, she couldn't give you any, dumb poseur birthing whore spent them all on the coin OP massage chair.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 21, 2014

• Locked thread