Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Soral posted:

shut up bitch, super mario world is its own series

thats why the sequel to mario world was called mario world 2: yoshis island and not mario bros 5: yoshis island

Goombas in Super Mario World were terrible. Round like puffball mushrooms and became tossable after getting jumped on instead of squishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

yaaaaaay its happening :neckbeard:

you bet you're rear end it is happening. my work holiday starts soon and i am going to chillax and build mario levels like a king

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Unguided posted:

Goombas in Super Mario World were terrible. Round like puffball mushrooms and became tossable after getting jumped on instead of squishing.

they made them that way because they were supposed to resemble chestnuts because the japanese name for goombah is kuribo which means chestnut

*puts nerd glasses on and hikes pants to nipples* i am ready to receive my beating, sir

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

matrix ripoff posted:

they made them that way because they were supposed to resemble chestnuts because the japanese name for goombah is kuribo which means chestnut

*puts nerd glasses on and hikes pants to nipples* i am ready to receive my beating, sir

that is something i never realised. thank you for this. maybe i can work it into the game like a warp pipe machine where chesnuts go in and goombahs come out or something

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

youre really pushin the limits of mario canon here

Soral
May 30, 2009

Unguided posted:

in mario 3d world they have real goombas and also chestnut goombas. you can pick up and throw a mario world goonba at a regular one

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

mabels big day posted:

You always gotta aim a little higher than your target to account for drag in the air.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If you need a play tester lemme know

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Widestancer posted:

i will.

mabels big day posted:

i know no bounds. i will not be constrained.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
i look forward to playing your video viddy game

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
OP, are you going to implement new powerups or some new mechanics? There's a pretty cool SMB 3 hack called Mario Adventure that does all kinds of cool poo poo. Shame the level design gets all kinds of retarded later on.

I want to see your childhood interpretation of new Mario powerups, even if they're just variations of Ninja Mario or Wizard Mario.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Laputanmachine posted:

OP, are you going to implement new powerups or some new mechanics? There's a pretty cool SMB 3 hack called Mario Adventure that does all kinds of cool poo poo. Shame the level design gets all kinds of retarded later on.

I want to see your childhood interpretation of new Mario powerups, even if they're just variations of Ninja Mario or Wizard Mario.

i think i can implement them, yes. even though they are designed p. badly i believe i can bring my new powerups AND my new enemies to the game world.

even if they aren't amazing in action i am sticking to my original ideas because i think the comedy of them will outweigh the poorness of them. (same with my actual level maps)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
How's the game coming, OP?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
ive nearly finished world one's levels (the base part, no decorations) i made a few mistakes with seperating the worlds on the main map, but its nothing i cannot fix!

as soon as i have done the base levels for the final three levels i will put it up for you guys to mess around (might do the decor first, might not, we'll see)

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
This died way too quick.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Grawl posted:

This died way too quick.

what makes you think it died? making levels is no easy task.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
It is if you just copy 1-1 and slap a cock made out of ?-blocks somewhere.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

By the time op finishes this Mario Maker will be out and we will have a real official imp zone Mario game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Laputanmachine posted:

It is if you just copy 1-1 and slap a cock made out of ?-blocks somewhere.

this is not what i am doing :smith:

mabels big day posted:

By the time op finishes this Mario Maker will be out and we will have a real official imp zone Mario game

i hope to finish before then! have faith sir!

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

that imgur album is pure magic

i wanna play retard mario bros 4, good luck dude!!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Video Viddy Games posted:

what makes you think it died? making levels is no easy task.

Have you thought of making this a group project?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Video Viddy Games posted:

this is not what i am doing :smith:

I know, I was just trying to be facetious.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

qnqnx posted:

Have you thought of making this a group project?

as a group project it is far more likely to die than if it is just me trucking along.

besides, it will be made its just something i am doing for fun :>

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Gonna play your game on my Ever drive N8, op

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I am looking forward to you achieving your dreams and hopefully learning something neat about game design

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bump.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Widestancer posted:

I second this.

This thread brings me back to my ridiculously detailed Pokémon world design, complete with dungeons and poo poo. I never made an attempt to find those old notebooks and make something of them but now I kinda regret that. I had a few months where I hosed around all day in Game Maker and various editors like Lunar-whatever for SMW, I prob could've made something similar to what was in my notes.

More power to you, op

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mach2 posted:

I second this.

This thread brings me back to my ridiculously detailed Pokémon world design, complete with dungeons and poo poo. I never made an attempt to find those old notebooks and make something of them but now I kinda regret that. I had a few months where I hosed around all day in Game Maker and various editors like Lunar-whatever for SMW, I prob could've made something similar to what was in my notes.

More power to you, op

thank you guys, i will let you and widestancer know when alpha playing begins on the worlds shoddiest sequel ever devised by a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

is there a binary yet?

• Locked thread