Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I was just thinking the same thing a couple days ago, after having not played since shortly after launch. For me I think it was when they took away the flowchart that led to the other frames like Magnum and Brontodon or w/e the heavy frames were called. It kind of took away some of the excitement for future stuff, and I think around the same time they changed crafting so that you were looking for one particular resource instead of trying to mix some together. I don't know why, but I kind of like games with too many numbers, weather it's resistances or dodging and armor penetration or w/e. Maybe it's because there's more room for specialization :shrug:

If the studio folds what are the odds that sweet sweet firecat model I saw on firefall live will be on eBay? Do we have any goons still working there that could help a guy out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Holy gently caress that guy is amazing this is amazing.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

xxEightxx posted:

If the studio folds what are the odds that sweet sweet firecat model I saw on firefall live will be on eBay? Do we have any goons still working there that could help a guy out?

The wearable suit? They shipped that thing to China and I don't know if it ever came back.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Second Highest Rated Reddit Reply posted:

Since R5 and Firefall are now under direct control of The9, a Chinese company, now, I'm going to ride the top comment and teach you all a few Chinese 4-word idioms today.
Firstly, 隔岸觀火, translated as "watching a fire from across the river bank", originally from the Thirty-Six Stratagems, used to describe that the enemies is already in internal discord, and will fall apart even if our side watch from afar. However, the more recent interpretation of this idiom is to describe someone who watches a disaster/accident taking place and did nothing to help.
Secondly, let's look at 事後諸葛, roughly literally means "Zhuge after the fact". Zhuge Liang was a master military strategist who won several well known battles with clever strategies. This idiom means hindsight bias in English, also known as the knew-it-all-along effect, when after viewing the outcome of a potentially unforeseeable event, a person believes he or she "knew it all along".
Lastly, a modern idiom that was invented after invention of firearms. 射後不理, meaning "fire-and-forget", but lately has been used to describe a man who came inside a woman and refused to take any responsibilities.

:lol: :wtc:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 27, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://archive.is/o8mhE

I think Grummz was also fired from the VR MMO that he and some of the Red5 staff who left with him tried to make.

Also:

Aleksandrovitch on reddit posted:

Hey Mark, say what you like to get back on the Firefall saddle, but please don't talk poo poo about my UI in a public forum. A colleague pointed this post out to me. I've been trying to ignore all of this, as it's been burning through the ex-R5er grapevine, and I don't particularly want to involve myself in any of it. I will expect you to respect that, and to refrain from making derogatory comparisons between 'your' work and mine in the future.

Regards,

Jon Hayter, (ex) Sr. UI Designer, Firefall
And also SkaDude weighs in

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Firefall and its Future

quote:

Hello, Firefall fans,

We wanted to take some time to discuss Firefall and our plans for other platforms. Red 5 Studios cherishes the Firefall IP and we are continuing to make the game in the best way that we can. Additionally we are working to bring the IP to other platforms such as Playstation 4 and mobile.

The team deeply appreciates and embraces those that are enthusiastic about Firefall as an IP and welcome constructive ideas and feedback from all sources including former employees of the studio. Because of the enthusiasm shown we feel the value of the Firefall IP is not only recognized by gamers but the capital market as well.

While we have more plans for the Firefall IP, currently the team’s focus regarding Firefall is working to prepare the franchise for Playstation 4 and mobile. We will be sure to provide everyone with more updates as we have them. We’d like to thank all of those that have supported us and plan to continue to support the team as we continue to progress not only Firefall as a PC game but as an IP.

Best regards,
The Firefall Team
Looks like they are hoping the PS4 is going to save them.

I just want Red5 to fix the PvP frame balance. Bastion and Raptor are currently god-tier in TDM and that needs to be fixed. But it looks like they are going to keep it that way until 1.8.

EDIT: And it looks like that patch 1.8 might be the last big patch for the PC version of Firefall for a while. Since their team is so small (most quit when The9 didn't pay anybody), everybody is going to be focusing on the PS4 version of the game. They will continue to release small bugfix and balance patches, but I doubt we will see Amazon (1.8) or Open World PVP (1.9). Patch 1.8 is just going to be crafting and bug fixes.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 27, 2016

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Ville Valo posted:

The wearable suit? They shipped that thing to China and I don't know if it ever came back.

No it was a sick 12-14 inch model.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

xxEightxx posted:

No it was a sick 12-14 inch model.

I think that was the 7/8 year reward of being an employee at Red5, the model was Typhon with his Assault Frame.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 27, 2016

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Lemon King posted:

I think that was the 7/8 year reward of being an employee at Red5, the model was Typhon with his Assault Frame.

How much for yours? Didn't you get grandfathered in because all your sick rear end work before becoming official?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

How much for yours? Didn't you get grandfathered in because all your sick rear end work before becoming official?

Nope, I never got anything like that.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Lemon King was a dirty Leaver. He doesn't get anything but scorn.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I made sure to get my leather Red 5 jacket before I took off, but I've only ever worn it once. Still, trophy!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

I made sure to get my leather Red 5 jacket before I took off, but I've only ever worn it once. Still, trophy!

Jelious! :o

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It sounds like Firefall is now over. I've heard that a few days ago everybody who was left at Red5 has been laid off. RIP dead game.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Welp! I wanted to like this game, and the pre-launch trailers seemed awesome. Then as time went on it seemed like it was getting further and further away from something I'd actually want to play (a well done Tribes MMO basically).

When I saw they were just straight up removing alt-fire from all weapons for some dumb reason was when I figured the game wasn't going to recover.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Time to see what Mark Kern does.

After he's done doing all that and gets out of rehab, it'll be time to see if anything becomes of his game project.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
:rip:
It was fun while it lasted.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inimicul posted:

Time to see what Mark Kern does.

After he's done doing all that and gets out of rehab, it'll be time to see if anything becomes of his game project.

His new game is Ember and it seems very Firefall-like. Amusingly enough, I actually got some PM spam on the Firefall forums from people evangelizing for Ember.

Mark Kern is a massive dick, though, and I really have concerns that he will be able to release anything. If anyone is curious, you can visit the Ember forums here:
http://forums.emberthegame.com/

:siren: Please don't back his project until he actually releases something playable as I am getting some big Star Citizen vibes from the project. :siren:

There is no website for the game, just a web forum. But that's okay, Mark Kern had a successful indiegogo campaign to pay for a website and some art!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ember-forums-website-art-videogames#/

Ember just exists as an idea right now.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

RIP Firefall.

I legit had a ton of fun at this game. There was a while (while alt-fire existed) that I could log onto this game for hours and just hunt bronto kings, murder spiders, and farm the beach that was a hoot. Very few other games captured the open world combat aspect in quite as fun of a way.

RIP Firefall RIP my bumble bee.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Yea it was fun while it lasted goons. This was like the yahoo of games, there was something with a lot of potential it's just no one in charge could figure out how to make it work.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Would have been nice for the game if it Kern didn't gently caress it up before it was done. He probably doesn't think he'll make the same mistakes that he made when he was in charge last time. What a loving scumbag.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm not seeing anything regarding layoffs or shuttering-of-doors or windows or whatever gets shuttered. Just a tweet from one guy saying he was let go. Reddit (ew) has a thread with some guy claiming to have received an email about everyone being "fired" and some other threads about lay-offs, but I'm wondering if this is some kind of ruse.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
http://steamcharts.com/app/227700

Looks about right.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Let's not put all the blame on that guy, true he's a dick but there are plenty of things they could've done once he was gone to save the game but just didn't. Maybe it was because they didn't give a poo poo, maybe it was because the new CEO just wanted them to launder money. In the end though I'd rather stick with a sucky but consistent "vision" over revamping the entire game every six months though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This game was one of the two* I backed big early on because I found the basic gameplay fun (way back when it was all about thumpers and crafting items was all about juggling resource mass/weight/energy etc), and showed me in a real harsh way that things like potential and promise are worth jack poo poo when it comes to early access games. So thanks for that lesson I guess!

*The other one was Warframe which has only gone from strength to strength. I got lucky there.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Morglon posted:

Let's not put all the blame on that guy, true he's a dick but there are plenty of things they could've done once he was gone to save the game but just didn't. Maybe it was because they didn't give a poo poo, maybe it was because the new CEO just wanted them to launder money. In the end though I'd rather stick with a sucky but consistent "vision" over revamping the entire game every six months though.

My understanding is that he was the reason why there was so much reimagining going on. Him and the other members of the management team who stuck around after he left. Of course, all I know is from glassdoor reviews so it's all just my interpretation of that.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Is there anyone left here at r5? I want that assault fig will pay cash.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Langosta Whiteman posted:

My understanding is that he was the reason why there was so much reimagining going on. Him and the other members of the management team who stuck around after he left. Of course, all I know is from glassdoor reviews so it's all just my interpretation of that.

Dunno I thought he was canned fairly early but yeah, other managers probably hosed up too after he was gone. I mean while he was there the game seemed to have more of a consistent vision for lack of a better word. Half of it was poo poo but there were some good thing there, could say the same about any stage in development though. I'd love to read an insider report though, preferably someone who was there from the beginning.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
A moment of Silence for the Assault Frame and Afterburner.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I reinstalled this just the other day and I like the new tutorial a lot more than the old ones. However, the animations and cut-scenes are a little buggy and I ended my session with a disabled mouse-look. It's so close to being a fun game.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

MadHat posted:

A moment of Silence for the Assault Frame and Afterburner.

What happened

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

What happened

Well they have been messing with it forever but mostly just me remarking on like the only thing I will actually genuinely miss when this game finally finishes its long slow fall down the drain.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Flying my firecat around the world, exploring with without ever touching the ground through careful and probably unintended combinations of transport abilities, is still one of the best experiences I've had in gaming.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RIP infinity flightcat. RIP Firefall.

Now for Tarkov to crush my dreams!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Pour one out for Archangel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3c069xrjBg&t=58s

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm really going to miss this game. I hope it gets reborn as an emu server some day.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Preferably some earlier build.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
I used to love just running around doing ares missions. I'm going to miss all the gliding.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Lazer Monkey posted:

Preferably some earlier build.

If they could have 0.8 but without item decay, that'd be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

I miss meld thumping..

• Locked thread