Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Decided to check this out again. Why did they get rid of shock combos? That was the best thing they ever added to this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I haven't paid attention to this game in years, but one thing that gives me hope is seeing just how much has changed, and how easily the dev team decides to scrap something that doesn't work and start over.
I know that probably bothers a lot of people, but most games these days do one of two things. They just copy what has worked for other games and you end up with another boring game, or they try and innovate, but they stick to their guns with flawed ideas and go down with a sinking ship.

Its refreshing to see firefall truly trying to do something different, and at times it does look like they don't have any clue what they are doing, but I do kind of like their approach.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

quote:

·While firing (once spun up) your mouse speed is reduced by 20%
This is stupid, why do companies do this? Unless you are hard capping in a max yaw, this does nothing for balance it just makes weapons feel like poo poo and be annoying to use, or encourage people to crates mods that bypass it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Electron sucks because Red5 are big dumb idiots that removed shock combos, which are an homage to the best weapon in all of FPS history.

Honestly though, why did they do that. The main reason I played FF was to get my shock combo fix, but now UT4 is out.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yes.
Most of the servers are European, and mist of the maps aren't textured, but its farther along than most games are at launch these days.
It definitely fills my shock combo fix.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AirborneNinja posted:

Mostly because EMP Grenade and Salvo Proxy.
I have no idea what this means.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Every month or so I check this thread to see if they've actually delivered that big revamp they've been promising. Every month, they have delivered a new one
I don't really know what big revamp you are talking about, but it definitely seems to me that every time I check back in on this game it has undergone a massive revamp and is essentially a new game.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I really don't think that make an entirely different game with completely different mechanics is the way to go. That was why PVP failed the first time, they were trying to make 2 parallel games.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Merry Christmas!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I haven't played this game in a while, is there some sort of breakdown of what its like now? Specifically what classes exist and how they play.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Well, I think one of my characters got deleted and electrons new gun is the most awful piece of garbage. See you guys next year!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Baller Time posted:

I'm glad someone finally managed to do game development like a moebius strip.

"Ok guys, we are going to start work on a new moebial game."
"Why does he keep mobile like that?" - "I dunno, I think think he is British, just go along with it"

Screams eeeEEE posted:

So basically this game is dead. That sucks. They just released a patch in december for Tribes: Ascend so at least I can get my FPS + jetpack gaming from somewhere.
That game is dead too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Umm, how did PVP ruin the game? No one wanted tgat change except the lovely designer.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I'm a software dev, and what this says about the (in order of importance) state of their process, quality of their codebase, and management, is that it's all poo poo at best. It's technically possible to recover from here ... I've even seen it done. Sometimes the people that never, ever give up are enough to pull up out of this. Usually, though, when it hits this point, it's only downhill. The people that stay are the ones with nowhere to go. Check back in at 1.8, it'll be obvious by then.
You are probably right, I mean its Red5 and we have seen how poo poo the company from all of the stuff that has been made public, but that is a pretty common mistake that appears in patch notes for almost every game at some point.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 3, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ville Valo posted:

A programmer didn't make that error, a designer did when implementing. The code base works in that it allows designers to implement buffs and debuffs. It doesn't say anything more than that a change snuck into a build untested, which is infinitely more common than you probably think.
Yep, and its as simple as ROF x 50% instead of ROF x 150%.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

What a shame. It was a good game (during beta). What a rotten way to die.
I wasn't aware it ever left beta, or even alpha.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Morglon posted:

At some point they just said gently caress it, it's released now but they kept revamping core system every six months or so.
:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'd really love to see a good post mortem on this game.

• Locked thread