Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Laminator posted:

Anyone ever tried to make this with chicken in the US?

I sincerely would not ever recommend it. As far as I know it's not really home cooking in Japan either and something you would want to get from someone who really knows what they're doing.

Salmonella contamination has to do with the way chicken meat is processed after they are slaughtered. Like e. coli, as far as I'm aware, it's fecal contamination of the meat, so basically my feeling is that it's not really feasible to try making on your own unless you're absolutely sure how your chickens are processed, and even then probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

RedTonic posted:

Made Cooking With Dog's dango jiru (sans the dango). It was actually really good. Next time I'll have to make the dumplings, too. This time, though, I put a cup of cooked rice and cracked two large eggs into the remaining broth, turned it to simmer, and made some congee to split with my partner. Pretty good stuff, and I'm not even a big fan of chicken thighs. I hadn't used niboshi in a really long time and was pleasantly surprised that the broth didn't even have a hint of fishiness once it was all done.

Was going to make a fritter with the drained niboshi tomorrow, but my cats ate it all. :argh:

niboshi are really bitter to eat.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

RedTonic posted:

Maybe if you leave the stomach and head on. I found it to be pretty tasty when decapitated and eviscerated. :kheldragar:

Fair enough, have never gone through the effort. Would usually just get fresh sardines.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's not hanami unless you've got more alcohol than food.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thoht posted:

I'd like to know as well. All my searches before turned out pretty fruitless. Seems like everybody just buys bulldog.

Basically this. We did spend a few months once trying to replicate bulldog sauce and it was entirely fruitless.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

I was able to find some online. So yakisoba is basically:

Boil noodles until almost cooked.
Fry pork and vegetables in a normal frying of pork and vegetables way.
Add the noodles.
Bulldog sauce until it tastes like you want it.

Anything else to know?

Don't boil the noodles unless you're using some kind of really different noodles. Most yakisoba noodles cook in a small amount of water in the pan. But essentially that's it, top with plenty of benishouga, aonori and mayo for max authenticity.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if I can actually score yakisoba noodles here. I've seen soba, somen, and dried udon. I have access to various Chinese noodles though, if one's a good substitute.

Since yakisoba is basically japanised chow mein the yellow Chinese noodles are probably your best bet. Despite the name yakisoba doesn't use buckwheat noodles at all.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shiso pesto.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

If your okonomi restaurant doesn't look like a threadbare shack then you're in the wrong place IMO.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

EVG posted:

Have some <1in boneless pork chops and I'd like to try making pork katsu. Anyone have a good recipe?

Also, I love Silver Spoon (the manga posted above) and how much they really enjoy the delicious foods they eat. It made me try raw egg on hot rice, and it IS delicious.

If you're going to katsu them I would recommend butterflying them first, as that seems really thick.

There isn't really a recipe to katsu, per se. If you want you can put salt, pepper and a little sake on the meat for a while before making it. Then pat dry, put a light flour coating, tapping off excess. Dredge in beaten egg then in panko breadcrumbs, and now here's the not so secret secret, repeat the egg and breadcrumbs step about 2x more.

Then here's the other secret that isn't, the frying oil needs to be maintained at a perfect temp AND you should fry them twice to get a real good color. Also don't crowd the oil as it will drop the temp.

Serve with white rice, shredded cabbage with Japanese mayo on it, lemon wedges and tonkatsu sauce.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Philip Rivers posted:

So does anyone know anything about cooking vegetarian Japanese food? I can make a good maki roll and an okayish no-fish dashi but I'm really yearning to branch out. There's just something about cooking Japanese food that I find very calming/meditative, and of course it's all delicious, so I'm always looking for excuses to make some.

I should learn how to make tamagoyaki one of these days.

You might want to look into shojin-ryori, which is vegetarian buddhist cuisine. I've always felt like Japanese food is somewhat adaptable to vegetarian palates (in that you can use konbu-dashi in place of regular dashi in a LOT of preparations and not drastically miss out on the flavor, and that the backbone of the cuisine is around vegetables and other items that aren't meat,) without necessarily losing out on a lot.

You might want to try making ganmodoki (https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/170234-light-and-fluffy-homemade-ganmodoki-fried-tofu-fritters) which are really tasty, if you have access to okara, which are a dry, fluffy left-over product from tofu-pressing. Some Asian markets sell these, or if you make your own tofu you can get it, but I think a lot of tofu makers in the US must sell it for animal feed, unfortunately.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

net work error posted:

I'm trying to find the difference between tatsu-age and karaage and I'm finding differing information. Is there a definite distinction besides one having ginger in the marinade sometimes and the other not?

Technically there really isn't. Tatsuta age is in the Japanese style and kara age is in the Chinese style. I think tatsuta often has soy sauce in the marinade while kara age does not, and some people say you use wheat flour for kara age, while you definitely use potato or kudzu starch for tatsuta age, but I've seen kara age that way too.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

They usually give you some Japanese mayo to squeeze on it when you eat it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Did you use chicken breast because that would be a huge mistake right there.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Karthe posted:

What are some good brands of rice vinegar? I've used Marukan for forever but lately the flavor seems a bit too vinegar-y so I'm thinking I probably just bought the cheap stuff and am suffering for it.

In other news I made some sunomono last night and boy was it tasty :3:

Fun fact!
There are a few kinds of similar vinegar made by marukan et al that are easy to mistake for each other.
The ones that are blended/grain vinegar are way more strong tasting than actual rice vinegar.
I've made that mistake a few times.

Mizkan and Nakano are other easy to find brands.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Speed Crazy posted:

Does pre-mixed okonomiyaki flour work for takoyaki, or should I look into making my own mixture?

I also found out that there is an Asian market very close to where I live that has a great produce selection, so I bought bitter melon for the first time. I made the farmhouse recipe of goya tsukudani, and it was the absolute best hangover food I've ever eaten. Cooking with Dog's goya chanpuru recipe is on the agenda for this week because I've been craving bitter melon since then.

I haven't made takoyaki in a while but I think it should probably work.

Cooking with Dog's goya chanpuru recipe is solid and worth making.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Anybody have a link to an anal-retentive ramen writeup? I can bullshit something passable for dinner, but I think I've decided it's time I explored the details with a fine comb. I'm particularly looking for a red ramen that's spicy. It would have pork broth, but be mostly vegetables. I have the gist of soft-boiled eggs, matching noodles to broth, and those little things. However, I'd like to get something down to:

1. Exactly what cut of meat to use to get the right consistency in the broth.
2. Exact mix of vegetables.
3. A precise spice mix.
4. Which noodles to use with the given broth.

We have access to a pretty decent Asian market here where I expect I could get most everything.

Also, I might as well mention that years ago as a sophomore in college, I tried to make beefbowl. I never had it, and never have had a chance to have it. So I don't know if that darkish muck of beef that tasted kind of like fish flakes was anywhere near correct. Unfortunately, I'm assuming I probably nailed it straight on haha.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-make-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-at-home-recipe.html

This is a great recipe for tonkotsu broth, and if you follow the links on the bottom, it walks through recipes for the toppings as well. If you like your ramen spicy you can add chili oil as a topping. He also has a recipe for burnt garlic chili oil ramen on the site, but I can't vouch for it.

Also, it sounds to me like you did your gyudon wrong.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Bacon is pretty gross in okonomiyaki. It's just way too salty/smoky.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Last night I brought some fresh shiso I'd grown to a Japanese friend's place for her to weave into a series of dishes. Apparently fresh shiso and nattō is an amazing and classic combination. She also made a pretty tasty dish frying chicken, shiso and cheese together.

And shiso juleps are pretty good, if not exactly traditional.

Shiso tastes good with basically everything. I wish I had the ability to grow things because I would put it on/in everything.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Heat up the jerky, dip it in Japanese mayo.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I salt the whole thing and then cut it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I always just let mine sit for about 24 hours, not sure if leaving it longer is causing some of the problems you're having?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I mean shiozake isn't supposed to be anywhere near as cured as gravlax, that's for sure.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

net work error posted:

Can't go wrong with just a cracked egg on rice. It's my breakfast when I'm especially lazy.

Put a dash of soy sauce on it. Also, not at all Japanese but I've been putting a little hot sauce on top lately too. I like goya because it's vinegary, or chili garlic cholula.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry to say this but Japanese food without sugar just isn't going to taste good, in my opinion. It's so important to so many dishes.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pollyanna posted:

I've noticed...I was weirded out by the concept of a sweetened omelette, even though I really like iri tamago, so when I first had it I decided to favor savory dishes instead. Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work out for eggs :saddowns: I'll have to up the sugar content for the eggs, which is an odd concept to think about. Maybe I'll just make a cake :v:

Hmm, maybe if I figure out a savory sauce to cover the omelette in, it'll be okay...?

I feel like this is going to be hard, since most savory Japanese dishes use it too. It's just not a cuisine you're going to get the full effect of if you're not cooking with sugar, from my perspective. You're certainly welcome to try but I think it's always going to be somewhat disappointing.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

themongol posted:

just got a tsukemono press!

https://www.amazon.ca/Liter-Tsukemo...words=Tsukemono

Any one has any tips? favorite recipes?

This book is really excellent. It had been out of print for quite a long time but is now back in print and available at a really good price.
It has various asazuke and other more involved Japanese pickles.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shnooks posted:

Is there a way to make my daikon pickles smell less like a dead animal? I love them so much but they smell so bad.

Not that I'm aware of. They are always just kinda farty smelling but delicious.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

emotive posted:

I haven't found any vegetarian options for the premade dashi powder; but if you have any recommendations, feel free.

There's granules of kombu dashi available in most Asian markets for sure.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Stringent posted:

This was inappropriate for this thread. I somehow missed I was in GWS and thought this was the GBS Japan thread for some reason.

You probably dgaf, but sorry about that emotive.

I love shojin-ryori (vegetarian temple cuisine) but tbf Japanese cuisine's overall attitude towards vegetarians seems to be for them to go gently caress themselves.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

No fancy pan needed but I feel like there's just so much substitution/ommission going on there it was bound to not really work out.
Also, I don't think I've ever seen one with chicken stock in it before.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pollyanna posted:

I had chicken stock already and I was lazy and didn't feel like pulling out the dashi powder. v:v:v I should do it the right way next time.

If it matters, this is the recipe I was (supposed to) follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBSKWTtzumg I really shouldn't be going off on my own, I'm nowhere near good enough to pull that off.

That recipe as he makes it seems pretty solid imo so it's probably worth another try.
I would definitely recommend of all the things though, keeping it as dashi instead of chicken stock, as I just feel like that would so fundamentally change the flavor as to be very different from the intended dish.

Weirdly, I was just thinking about some of the more classic homestyle Japanese recipes, many of which are stewed and involve some varying proportion of the building block ingredients (sugar, salt, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, miso, sake, dashi and mirin, etc) don't really give themselves to improvisation, maybe because of the delicate flavors in some of the dishes? I was just considering how I think if I fudged a few things in a western stew I might not know the difference but in oyako-don or chikuzen-ni or something, the flavor would probably feel really "off" to me.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

totalnewbie posted:

So you boiled onions and eggs? I mean, oyakodon is chicken/eggs over rice so I'm not sure how you omitted the rice.

Oh uhhh.... hmmm yeah, I kind of feel like that is not going to be appealing in general. The texture is basically asking to go over rice.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I don't want to be all :goonsay: about it, but seriously consider ditching the dashi powder. It saves you little time, it costs roughly the same, and has MSG out the rear end. To me, eliminating MSG and keeping your sodium reasonable is worth the time (maybe 2 minutes more, maybe). There's only one more step, the measurements can be whatever you want, and if you were going to bring the powder to a rolling boil it takes the same amount of time either way. There are some ok substitutions out there, but most of them are weird and from old rear end cookbooks that assumed there was no chance in hell of you obtaining the authentic ingredients except by mail-order. Oh and try out konnyaku or shirataki. It can fill in for a starch and has no nutritional content, at all. Goes good with olive oil, ponzu, maybe other citrus, mentsuyu kind ofsauces, in nabemono, that sort of thing.

But msg is naturally occurring in the kombu you use when making home made dashi...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there a specific go-to brand of instant dashi?

Ajinomoto hondashi

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Can't remember if I put it in the op but I also recommend Quick & Easy Tsukemono.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Just use aji mirin.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Semirelated, I guess...? It's not cooking but it is about tea implements. I recently acquired a chawan. Is it cool to post about chanoyu in here or should I dig up the drinks thread?

That's cool with me, I don't mind at all.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like putting Japanese sweet potato in my niku jaga.
Or kabocha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

al-azad posted:

Is there a traditionally spicy dish in Japan (besides curry)? I know Japanese food isn't known for its heat but I figure they must've picked up something from China or Korea over the centuries.

There really isn't honestly.
There is the aforementioned momiji oroshi, and some imported dishes, but even those are barely spicy.