Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey, I was going to make some Sukiyaki for dinner tonight, and I was going to use this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beef-Sukiyaki/

It calls for "mirin" but doesnt specifiy which kind. Wegmans has "Aji-Mirin" and "Kotteri Mirin" and I was wondering which type I should be using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question:

I have some chicken thighs I want to throw in some curry. I have the Golden Curry roux blocks, but I'm looking for something interesting to add.

In the past I've used things like green bell peppers, carrots, even diced potatoes.

I certainly don't mind just doing that again, it's always tasty, but are there any other veggies (or other meats!) to try?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Grand Fromage posted:

I never add anything sugary in mine since the roux is already plenty sweet. Anything that isn't a leafy vegetable works. Potato, onion, lotus root are standards for me.

As far as adjusting the curry part I always use dashi (powdered, don't waste fresh) instead of water, add sake and soy sauce, garlic, ginger, umeboshi, and I usually finish with some yuzu kosho and vinegar or lemon juice.

Other classics in the "secret ingredient" department are instant coffee, dark chocolate, yogurt.

I have some powdered dashi, so that's a neat idea. I'd been using chicken stock :downs:.

I have some good soy sauce, and I have plenty of garlic and ginger. Same with lemon juice. Apple cider vinegar might work.

I do have some umeboshi - should those go in whole, or diced?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Grand Fromage posted:

I chop them up into a mush.

Sweet.

I'll have to play with it and see how many I can add without it becoming overpowering.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Spuckuk posted:

Your Home Izakaya by Tim Anderson is a really good book.

Not entirely authentic, and knowingly so, but awesome recipes.

I picked this up - it looks fantastic. Haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I'm definitely going to soon.

Grand Fromage posted:

I never add anything sugary in mine since the roux is already plenty sweet. Anything that isn't a leafy vegetable works. Potato, onion, lotus root are standards for me.

As far as adjusting the curry part I always use dashi (powdered, don't waste fresh) instead of water, add sake and soy sauce, garlic, ginger, umeboshi, and I usually finish with some yuzu kosho and vinegar or lemon juice.

Other classics in the "secret ingredient" department are instant coffee, dark chocolate, yogurt.

Made a batch with Dashi in lieu of chicken stock, and added umeboshi. Very tasty, will make again.

Just wish I could get dashi and umeboshi locally. So far I've relied on Amazon.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Development posted:

recent ingredient dump:

one of the high end kaiseki restaurants in the bay area always has amazing kombu and they let me in on their supplier, Okui Kaiseido. They sell to consumers in the US here: https://www.okuikombu.com/shop-our-kombu/

fresh spring bamboo shoots, truly a delicacy. I haven't ever seen them fresh at any of the asian markets like this before. buy in the US here: https://penrynorchardspecialties.com/products/bamboo-shoots

Awesome!

Re: the Kombu supplier - they have a "Dashi Pack" listed, but reading the description it doesn't sound like powdered Dashi. The instructions say to heat the whole pack in boiling water, not dissolve the contents in water.

I'm not sure if this is a translation issue, or if this is a product I'm unfamiliar with that is used differently.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How'd long does miso last in the fridge? Red specifically, but I assume white is the same.

I've got a few recipes I'd like to try, but I don't think I'd use an entire 13oz container, so I want to know how long the remainder will keep.

E: also for some reason Wegmans calls their red miso paste "red miso paste", but describes it as "shinshu-style" which I thought is yellow?

Looks like this:

Annath fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 1, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Scythe posted:

Miso in the fridge in the fridge can last years, potentially indefinitely. It’s fermented and very salty, after all. Keep it tightly sealed so it doesn’t dry out or get contaminated with something else and you’re golden.

I ended up grabbing this stuff:

Can I like, stir it into water to make tasty rice? Or is it better to use more like a condiment - adding to a finished dish?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

captkirk posted:

You can add it to dashi to make miso soup, you can use it as a marinade before roasting fish or egg plant, and you can add it into sauces and stuff to add saltiness and umami.

I've never heard of adding it to rice before cooking but hey, give it a try! (You wouldn't want to add much, I think, miso can be very salty and it might gunk up the steam vent of your rice cooker).

I like adding stuff to rice when cooking it. I have some frozen peas n carrots, so maybe I'll dissolve some miso in water, cook the rice, and stir in the veggies after.

I just throw poo poo I like together, and most of the time the result tastes good.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I would think they'd be fine as long as they were kept dry.

Actually you could probably throw one of those dessicsnt packs in there when storing it and it probably keep basically forever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
This question is more a general fermentation question but, when a recipe calls for an X% brine solution, is that X% of the water weight alone, or X% of the total weight of the water+whatever I'm fermenting?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Scythe posted:

Total weight. I find the easiest thing to do is add 2% in salt directly to the veg and let them sit for a few hours to see how much water they throw off on their own, then top up with 2% brine to cover.

So, weigh veg (say, 50g), add 2% salt (1g), wait, mix water (say 200g) and salt (4g) and top off with that?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Scythe posted:

Yep, that’s what I do.

Awesome, thanks!

I've got a handful of assorted chili peppers I grew, but my plants this year haven't produced enough to properly ferment.

I may order a batch of peppers in bulk and try making something like Sriracha or gochujang.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

jawbroken posted:

if you have a vacuum sealer then you don’t need to bother with brine at all, just salt 2% and vacuum seal. it will create its own brine and you will never have issues with aerobic bacteria, yeast, etc

Alas, I don't have one. I don't know if my balcony-grown summer pepper plants would be enough to justify a vacuum sealer :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What is the difference between Nanami Togarashi and Shichimi Togarashi?

I bought a little shaker of Shichimi Togarashi and really liked it, bit it's kinda pricy for a small vial.

I found a large bag of something called Nanami Togarashi on Amazon, that's a better price per gram, but I'm unsure how they differ.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Scythe posted:

Nanami tōgarashi and shichimi tōgarashi are the same thing. Both mean "seven-flavor chili pepper": "nana" and "shichi" are two different ways to pronounce the number 7.

Ichimi tōgarashi is different, it's "one-flavor chili pepper" (because it's just chile flakes).

Ah, got it. I'll buy the bigger bag then, and hopefully I can refill the neat little shaker.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

That Old Ganon posted:

What kind of charcoal do you use for your grill?

I picked up binchotan and have yet to successfully ignite it; afterwards I learned poo poo takes like 30 minutes to get going and another 30 to be at cooking temp.

I'd imagine a few strips of magnesium would light it right up. :science:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Development posted:

kishu white binchotan from korin! Yes, it is hard to light. We actually use our pellet grill to do it (instead of a chimney cuz we don’t have one), and put the binchotan lighter pan right on top of the flame. once they’re a nice red, we throw them into the konro and use a small small sized vornado to keep it going. the vornado is a game changer to help getting to temp and easier to manage than just a hand fan. ryan at Needle in LA does this trick and we haven’t looked back.

Yo, toss me a link to to your grill and charcoal if you can. I need more outdoor cooking stuff to keep in my parents' garage because I live in a 3rd floor apartment :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Development posted:

sure, all the things you need can be had here: https://www.korin.com/grillware/konros-basket-grills-nets-and-bases

I got the small grill, a base, an extra grill net, a lighter pan and the binchotan from that page.

Fantastic!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm sick with the flu and basically adding medicinal ingredients now that I've got the basics; I picked miso soup as the most at a glance keto compliant.

Food isn't medicine, while some foods can have a health effect on the body, it's usually in quantities or durations far exceeding your typical meal.

Also, keto isn't recommended for people who are acutely ill.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is it possible to steep konbu for two long?

Yes, I usually shoot for 3 long :v:

(I don't actually know the answer to the question)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Question:

What's the actual difference between nanami togarashi and shichimi togarashi?

I know it's the amount of orange peel, but I've found 2 different sources that make exactly opposite claims - one says nanami uses less orange peel than shichimi, while the other source says it uses more.

Which is the correct statement?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

AnonSpore posted:

Nana and shichi are just alternate readings of 七 (seven)

Yes, as they contain the same spice blend.

But apparently the ratio is different, and that affects the flavor.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ok, I was confused because I found 2 different products from the same brand (S&B), one labeled nanami and one labeled shichimi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

RFC posted:

I made takoyaki in my takoyaki griddle, it was awesome.

Speaking of takoyaki, is there a place to order frozen for delivery?

I found one site, but they're a wholesaler and only sell to businesses. Another one I found sells to the public, but doesn't appear to want to ship to my area.