Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Boyfriend wanted Sushi for his birthday so I made the sushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

MockingQuantum posted:

How hard is it to make sushi rice? My wife loves maki rolls but is also vegetarian and the veg options for sushi around here are limited, basically just the same avocado roll everywhere. So she wants to try and make sushi at home, which I'm all for, but I've heard varying reports about how complicated it is to make sushi rice, from "it's the same process as making any other rice" to "you must have a specially made bamboo screen and a specialized fan to carefully control the rate at which the rice cools" and I'm not sure I wanna deal with the latter, if that's true.

Man sushi rice is ezpz

Get sushi rice.
Put it in a large bowl and/or sieve and add cold water. Wash the rice by very gentle caressing the rice. Like you wanna just let the rice move around your fingers while you gently make swirling motions. Don't use force or pressure or you'll risk breaking the rice and releasing more starch. Just take your time. Drain the water out and then add fresh water and repeat the wash. It could take 7 times, maybe 10. The water will never ever become fully clear but once it drains you want to see a more silvery colour rather than cloudy.

Once it's washed, drain the water as much as possible. I usually leave the rice in a sieve over a bowl for 10 mins or so.

Now you want 120mls of water to every 100g of rice (idk what measurements Americans use???)

Put water in a pan, add rice, make sure rice is even and covered with water. Put lid on.

Put on medium heat for 10 minutes. Once time is up put on a high heat for 4 minutes. Once tome is up turn the hob off/move pan off heat and leave it for 15 mins (don't remove lid).

Once that time is up your rice should be pretty darn good.
Now just add sushi rice seasoning. It's all about your own taste really and imo there is no set rule on how much you put in it. Just make sure you mix it fully otherwise it's gonna be weird and poo poo.

Preferably try to use something wide/long where you can spread the rice out. You want to gently fold the rice over and over again to mix the seasoning in but also to help the rice cool down a bit. You don't want cold rice but you want it to not continue cooking. Get some air in it! If your arm isn't hurting when folding the rice over then you're not finished ☺️

You're gonna gently caress it up the first 10 times you do it so don't worry. Just keep at it.

You want sticky rice but each grain should still be distinguishable. You don't want just mush.

Hope that helps? Sorry I'm not the best teacher :3:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

captkirk posted:

The rice is easy, maki rolls take some practice to get the portions right and the roll nice and tight.

80g of rice for a Hosomaki is usually ideal iirc. They are the easiest roll to make but will take a lot of tries to get perfect.

Anyway
My head chef has been away which means I've been running the place and I've decided to change up our Tonkotsu Ramen a bit and imo it looks sexy as gently caress (also tastes pretty darn good too). Any recommendations on presentation?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Folks, I am based in the UK and have been unable to find Japanese short grain rice for ages. I'm talking about the bog standard rice that I am used to having with anything Japanese, which has lovely short grains and a delicate flavour. I normally get stuff from Wing Yip which does have Asian foods besides Chinese, but I have not seen any such rice there. Is there a place I can order it online? What should I be looking for? Since I think "Japanese rice" is a bit too vague.

https://www.japancentre.com/en/categories/689-rice

Might be your best bet?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Some new East Asian supermarket has opened up in town that has a pretty good Japanese section and apparently they're going to sell Natto but they haven't got their fridges up and running yet so I can't get any and I'm FUMING

I tried Natto about 15 years ago and didn't like it but my palate has changed so much as I've grown up so I wanna try it again and see if I like it now.

I remember being told by someone to put it on toast if I don't enjoy it too much outright but idk. Anyone else got some good Natto recipes to help ease me into eating it?