Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Al Cowens posted:

A little over your stated budget but I got a zojirushi thing about on-par with this in 2006 which has never let me down since for about $120USD
Zojirushis are great, but good luck finding one in the UK for under GBP150.

You can't just import a cheaper US or JP model because those don't work on 240v power. (Most of the cheap-looking amazon.co.uk results are imports that probably fall into this trap.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Fooley posted:

Can you do anything with natto besides eat it over rice and natto jiru? Now that I'm over the smell/texture I'm interested in cooking with it, but those are the only ways I've seen it used.

Stuff it in aburaage, make tempura. It's good.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Actually, natto is delicious

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Suimono? I think the base is usually just dashi with added shoyu and mirin.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

So the flesh is not meant to get somewhat tougher, become a deeper red-orange, and become a little "sticky"?

Go on

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Nikuman, nikuman, does whatever a niku can

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know the name, I can't read much Japanese. :v: I thought the 16 was the sweet/dry but I am wrong, this label doesn't have it.

This is the other side of the front label. I'm pretty sure the bottom left is Fukumitsuya brewery, the bottom right says Kanazawa junmai. The red might be the name but the only character there I know is yuan and I don't know what the Japanese reading of that is.

The red is "kuramoto gentei", which is just brewery limited edition or some such

The name is probably 金澤, which is Kanazawa but in old fashioned characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

mystes posted:

I'm pretty sure Hondashi is ajinomoto's trademark for its brand of dashi powder.

yeah it’s confusing because it sounds like it’ll be a generic term like honmirin, but hondashi is indeed a specific brand