Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Stottie Kyek posted:

It's been floating around the Internet a while but the recipes from Cooking with Dog are actually really good - I tried the mochi and okonomiyaki recipes and they turned out nice. And the show's hosted by a big grey poodle.

Francis is most likely a toy poodle. A 'big poodle' would be a Standard Poodle, which weighs up to 70 lbs. Francis looks like he weighs about 10.

He is, however, fantastically well groomed and fluffy. And so well behaved! His chef obviously loves him. It's a joy to watch them :3:

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I like that bit in the middle, when he's cutting them into sheets. "Wow, he's really eyeballing those sheets. Whoops, half a sheet left over, guess he.. Wait, no, now he's cutting it in half again. Oh gee, a millimeter of waste. Now you're just showing off, guy."

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

indoflaven posted:

There's 1000 things that would be cooler and worth your time. Making your own soy sauce would be like collecting your own salt.

HEY. Hey. Don't piss on salt collectors. Then you'll get weird piss salt in their very carefully tended salt marshes.

Also, the equipment needed for the most basic introductory seaside salt refining is some black tarps, 2x4s, sunny spot in yard, ocean (or salt lake), and time. I can't even imagine what the startup costs for soy sauce brewing would be.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hallo spacedog posted:

Ultimately you can certainly do whatever you want because it's your food, but traditionally there's almost no spice in Japanese food for real. Doesn't make it wrong at all for you to tweak to your taste though.

The chef at my sushi joint gave me sriracha salmon as a freebie and a spicy tuna roll. Who are the proper authorities to report this monster to.

Oh wait I dont care because I love my japafast. BTW, dont order eel or bluefin peeps, those guys are in a serious decline. Theremust be delicious left for the next generation.

Whats a good entry level sake for cooking and occasional sipping?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hallo spacedog posted:

:rolleyes:
That's why I said make it however you like. I wasn't trying to say it was wrong, and I put hot sauce on a lot of things too, just that peppers really weren't widely used for a LONG time in Japan. Same goes for garlic and other really strong flavors like that.

Even now that that isn't necessarily the case, a lot of Japanese people have a laughably low tolerance for spice.

I was just being facetious and silly, sorry :3: . Some reason though, people associate japanese with spicy. Might be the wasabi. Which, hooo! Is the only thing helping my sinuses in this early onset allergy season.

\/\/\/

hallo spacedog posted:

Sorry, I'm really drat terrible at reading sarcasm/jokes in text format!
Who are the proper authorities to report this flawed individual to also hossrads 4eva
\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 24, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Lawman 0 posted:

I have some dried nori sitting in my pantry what should I do with it?
Also I don't like/don't want to make sushi.

Tear it into little peices on top of any rice dish

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Butcher your own chicken. The resulting food poisoning is much like a hangover, in being your own drat fault, and to be suffered with dignity. But also easily avoidable if you take care.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Bought a Shiso plant for 5bux at the farmer's market. It apparently has the potential to be terribly invasive in Florida (like just about every other plant from japan...) It's also terribly delicious. Gonna get a nice pot for it and try not to eat all of it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ooh, that could be interesting. Cut it a bit with some of the malabar spinach I have hanging around, make it with garlic and maybe some of the green peppers and chives I have growing. Because my basil keeps flowering and tasting like shiiit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kinmik posted:

Not that I have any right providing insight when it comes to plants (because I kill anything green that comes into my possession) but aren't you supposed to pinch them as soon as it starts budding?

Yeah, but they escape notice sometimes. We've been having a ton of rain, it's been mulched and weeded well, so some days I don't get out to the garden much because there's not much to do. I've also been crazy busy. But I do love my little Hugelkulture. I can see it from my bedroom window and there's 2 adorable sunflowers in there cheering me up through this miserable cold I'm having.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you havn't been watching the new Go! Francis! thing over at CookingWithDog, I suggest you start here and now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftNP1FTOEU

Francis' american accent is amazing.

I do love a raw egg on hot rice though. Especially if I make bacon fried rice. Then top it off with some sambal olek. Or just some soy sauce and sesame oil. Mmm. I use fresh eggs I get from the farm I work at though. So if I get food poisoning, it's no-one's fault but my own.

edit: Ooh, exploring Japaneese factory farming next episode. Looks like they'll be in a cage-free facility. Nice to see. I just wish those chickens got some more sunlight and fresh air, they're paler then an all-ginger basement LAN party.

I want eggy rice now, ugh.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 23, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Can I make Clear Soup out of bonito dashi and dehydrated portabellas? I'm sick and the sushi place is a whole block away and doesn't open for two hours and I want soup and I am MADE OF SUDAFED

edit: and chive and onion and spices and stuff I have around the house

editedit: ended up making jook out of onions garlic ginger pepper chorizo chicken stock and leftover rice, but the question still stands

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 15, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

net work error posted:

Can't go wrong with just a cracked egg on rice. It's my breakfast when I'm especially lazy.

I make bacon egg fried rice. Fry a bit of chopped bacon, toss the rice in the fat and put a bit of brown on it, bowl, farm fresh egg on top. Little bit of soy sauce and sessame oil on top. Keeps you full till dinner.

(This is not exactly traditional Japanese style cooking, mind you)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

Tofu squeezin' cloth is basically cheesecloth, yes. Making tofu and making cheese have a lot in common. The stuff you curdle the soy milk with is usually powdered gypsum.

Someone suggested a really good series on Chinese food (In china! By a Chinese broadcasting company! For Chinese people to watch! I actually think it might have been you who suggested it, Fromage. I forget the name of the documentary though, it was a series) that went pretty in-depth on tofu. It was super interesting! But then towards the end, they start talking about Milky Tofu, a kind of tofu made from milk, and showing how they make it. And oh wow does Milky Tofu look so super cool and interesting and why have I never heard about this stuff, that's so neat, I gotta try making it myself, hell, I bet I could it looks just like make...ing...cheese. It's cheese. That is cheese that they are making. Why did I not realize this.

Tofu is bean cheese.

Now here's a question. Why does tofu puff when you fry it? Aburaage looks almost like a weird pita pocket sometimes. How's it doing that?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 8, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Thanks!

I just went back to try and find the tofu episode of A Bite Of China and OH MY GOD THERE'S TWO MORE SEASONS NOW yaaaaaaay

Oh, for cheesemaking, you can also use an old t-shirt. Just soak and rinse it really good in fresh water to get the detergent flavor out.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 9, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

Gag. I loving hate raw tomatoes, both cherry and normal size. The rest looks great, though!

I don't know why I'm not posting my own lunches in this thread. Welp, that's gonna change. Just as soon as I make another...

Tradsies. You can have all my carrots. However, there's the sad chance you've never tasted a fine summer ripe cherry tomato fresh off the vine. It's the candy of June.

Does anyone have a good method for organizing chopsticks? All of mine are in the butter knife section of my silverware drawer, and it looks messy. Can never find two of the same chopstick.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

totalnewbie posted:

Get a bunch of the same ones. Voila.

Yeah, I had that idea, but y'see, I keep finding cute cheap chopsticks that need homes.

I'm also the only person in the house that uses chopsticks.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 12, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Doing this one. Goodwill ahoy!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If anyone wants some fresh shiso please grab a machete and head to my boss's front stoop and slash some down because holy poo poo, it is now everywhere. AND SMELLING AMAZING.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Isn't miso paste one of those things that never really goes bad?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Shiso is fussy as gently caress to grow from seed.

:sticks head out from over 6 foot shiso plants that have taken over a portion of yard: gently caress you say?!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'll take all the sodium you guys don't want, I'm starting a collection.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nothing like a hot jelly shot you can stand a spoon up in if you let it cool too much to start your morning. That stock looks fantastic, don't diss yourself.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Is the clay... supposed to look like the poo poo you take after a food truck festival? Your bowl looks like someone enjoyed a lot of meat on a stick and mexicorn.

I mean, no disrespect to the hand crafting and very authentic nature of it, but that clay and glaze looks hella rough.

edit: My mistake, I have done some googling, and holy hell. Yours is not the roughest of the bunch by far.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 2, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:ohdear: I'm sorry, my dude. Francis did live a good, long life for his breed, though.

How old was he? Mini Poods and their ilk can live a fairly long while if they don't have any chronic health issues. I had a Maltesse/Poodle mix that lived to be 17. Some can get up into 19 and 20 years old even. Whatever breeding went into miniaturizing poodles also made them freaking dog Methuselah's.

But definitely RIP Francis. I hope Chef is doing OK, she seems like such a nice lady.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

Did it maybe confuse nori with konbu?

Dried seaweed of all kinds is pretty light. According to this, https://examine.com/nutrition/how-can-i-safely-consume-seaweed/ , you need to eat 10-20 grams of Kombu (the most iodine rich) to see any danger. I think that warning might be more for people with iodine sensitivites.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

large hands posted:

I toss a little dijon mustard, ranch dressing, marshmallows, some goddamn bacon and motherfucking srirach' in my Japanese curry ftmfw

I think I just had a stroke, is anyone else reading this as 'ranch dressing and marshmallows'

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

...and I don’t really have any other ideas. What’s a good set of small bits of food that can be made in advance, keeps well, and can be made with ingredients commonly found in American supermarkets?

I’m also probably going to avoid rice or at least reducing the amount I eat, so there’s that concern as well.

Chilli. Pasta sauces. Fried foods. Potstickers. Quesadillas. All can be batch made and reheated in a microwave or toaster oven. You can fry up a couple of chicken thighs, freeze, and pull them out individually to have with potato salad and Mac n cheese for southern US bento.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

In episode 4 of Today's Menu for the Emiya Family, they make a sandwich out of crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, blanched sansai, and a mustard spread. I want to make this, but I'm not sure what common USA greens are analogous to sansai. Broccoli rabe and fiddleheads, maybe? Is there a closer alternative?

EDIT: It looks like they're specifically using nanohana in the sandwich, if that helps.

I'm watching the first episode right now, loving it, but HOLY CRAP that green can of lovely parmesan sprinkle in the fridge door. When did that become a universal thing?

If I was going to make that sandwich, I'd probably do it with skinny asparagus and maybe some ramps, farmers market fresh stuff. Not in season right now unfortunately. I don't think anything else in the US is similar.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 1, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just learned about macaroni gratin. It's like Minnesota Hot Dish wandered into a basement yazuka bar and everyone came out friends and overly fond of gravy. Gonna make this with broccoli in it, as macaroni and broccoli is a fav of mine.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

im on the net me boys posted:

Making curry today but using chicken thighs instead of breasts. Wondering if it'll really matter but it's curry so it'll be good either way.

Spoiler alert: will be amazing

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i have a confession to make. i may have eaten at roughly half the ramen joints in the los angeles metro area, and i make a pretty mean homemade tonkotsu, but i've never eaten instant ramen before. this is something i'm considering rectifying. are there any brands or product lines people swear by? i can get to a mitsuwa pretty easily, and i could also probably order off of amazon if need be.

sidenote: i can do spicy, but i'm not a huge fan of stuff that goes all in on heat to the point it crowds everything else out

My favorite cheapo poo poo is the Mama fake duck. Just crush it up and eat it straight out of the bag. It's 50 cents.

My work lunch standby is Nong Shim Black. I make it with extra dried mushrooms, and add a handful of spinach at the end. It cooks up perfectly in the microwave, so super easy to take to work. Should run you $2.50

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

Also fill up your trunk with a pile of Korean instant noodles.

The Mama faux duck ones are my favorite. Can't be beat for 50 cents. NongShim Black, but that's way more expensive. Also, the beauty supply stores have good sales, stuff like face masks 2/a dollar and foaming charcoal cleanse. My sister goes apeshit for that stuff.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
99 Ranch and HMart always have it. They'll even steam or fry it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Discovered something new today. My dog LOVES Edemame. That makes three of us then :p