Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Hi friends!

First post here. I was looking for critique and any suggestions on my tuna prep. I normally can't get such a large block of tuna from my local grocery store, but out of luck I was able to get this chunk fresh from Hawaii (coworker's dad is a Hawaiian fisherman). This was the first time I was able to cut saku blocks however I wanted to, so that was fun.

here's the said tuna, shortly after it was caught:

A huge chunk, skin on.

Separated (I mainly used the deba and wished I had a longer one). I realize I could have taken more off the top section for the lower block, but I was pretty nervous about it.

after I separated the pieces, I salted them generously and wrapped them with extra-absorbent reed paper towels and put them in the fridge for a little bit.

Texture check.

Nigiri prep, on a geta.

I didn't put the 'grain' all the same way, which was quickly fixed after this photo by my spergy partner. I wasn't going for consistency as much as just "omg I'm starving let's speed this up".

Action shot.

I would love any suggestions about handling tuna (cutting, prep, storage) that the gune collective has!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

thanks everyone :shittydog: I really wish I had better access to getting skin on thick chunks like this so I could practice more.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

We finished the tuna in 3 days. Reflecting on it, the taste was probably the biggest difference vs. the fresh things I've been getting at the grocery store. The taste of the direct Hawaiian tuna was slightly more citrusy but not lingering.

on the third day I just cut up whatever I had left for some sashimi and poke. color appeal went down but taste is fine:

I probably should have wrapped it in butcher paper or saran wrap instead of just a ziplock bag.

an example of fresh grocery store tuna that I cut up:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Skyarb posted:

Are there any good secrets, tips, or tricks anyone has for this? Everything I make is edible but compared to any kinda of stir fry I eat elsewhere its meh.

woks of life has great recipes for chinese cooking (and some stir-frys). The stir-fry sauce recipe also talks about velveting, which imo is essential for chicken in a stir-fry.

https://thewoksoflife.com/stir-fry-sauce-recipe/
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-velvet-chicken-stir-fry/

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Just as a warning, Woks of Life is extremely variable. Some of the recipes are good, some are just loving insane nonsense. It's helpful if you already are familiar with the thing you're trying to cook but if you're starting out I would not go there, you won't be able to tell the difference. Like that velveting method is very weird, it's like... conceptually on the right track but all the steps and ingredients are bizarre, never seen anything like it.

I haven't found any generalized Chinese cooking sites that are good. Mala Market has a recipe blog which is a great resource for Sichuan food, everything I've made from there has been great. Fuchsia Dunlop's books are generally good, just don't get her old Sichuan one, it sucks. Go for the new one.

Just out of curiosity, which recipes did you find are nonsense? We've been buying all of our peppers and niche ingredients (tsao-ko, chinese cinnamon etc.) from Mala Market and they've been great.

Yeah, I have Fuchsia's new Food of Sichuan and The Land of Fish and Rice and almost every single recipe has been a hit. Probably more Chinese cooking thread stuff, but I've found a lot of Meishitai's videos on youtube to be awesome (turn closed captioning on, a lot of times their presenters will speak in their native dialect or Mandarin).

Development fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 29, 2021

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

get decent ramen or udon style noodles for a basic corner-cutting week night beef broth noodles?

For fresh: Sun ramen noodles from Hawaii
For dry: Hime noodles udon or ramen.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

inspired by waffles and mochi, we made lil' pink mochi using Namiko's recipe (https://www.justonecookbook.com/daifuku/). Made the red bean paste in the Instant Pot and it was quite easy, although it needed a bit extra time because the red beans we have are old as hell.

lol at our nori attempt at mochi's face :unsmith:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

can someone tell me what they use their tamagoyaki pan for other than making tamagoyaki?

my goon partner wants one

I already have all kinds of non-rectangular/non-square pans.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

toripaitan for NYE!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Pththya-lyi posted:

IIRC pure-bred Japanese cows do not fare well in North America, so "American wagyu" is a hybrid of Japanese and American cattle breeds.

it's this, yeah they are a hybrid. I eat a lot of Snake River Farms' "American Wagyu" and yeah, it's nothing like Japanese Wagyu...but it is very good and highly marbled.

Here's their "gold" grade short rib and prime rib:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

for the 4th

NZ bluefin:

JP bluefin:

Scottish salmon:

fish treated with pichitto sheets and stored with reed paper, then served with akazu shari

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hallo spacedog posted:

Had friends over and I made a nice full Japanese meal for the first time in forever: nikujaga, miso soup with turnip, white and brown rice mixed, hiyayakko, kinpira lotus root and some homemade cabbage pickle I forgot to take a photo of.

Everything came out amazing and I'm pretty happy, haven't been able to do something like this in forever. My kid loved all the food too.

:allears: this is gorgeous! lotus root looks great.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Heath posted:

Am I the only one who loves that style of rectangular plate? It feels like the perfect setup for portioning without stuff laying on top of other stuff

I have been playing the 'add to cart' but never checkout game with some of these plates from a local japanese pottery studio (Arakawa Pottery) :ohdear:

Sushi Katsu, a new omakase place in Mountain View, uses their plates.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

canoshiz posted:

Oh dang MV got a nice sushi spot? I moved too early...

Yep, south bay finally got a nice omakase place that isn't a money grab like Hiroshi. I went to Katsu (downtown MV) during their soft opening and it was good, but they still needed to work a few things out. It's a bit expensive and for only $50 more you can get Yoshizumi, so I'm not in a rush to go back. MV also has a new-ish omakase called Sushi Jin (random rear end strip mall), but their nigiri are too small and people often complain that they are still hungry after. HMU to talk sushi if you're still in the bay area!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

I rarely bother with sites at all unless I'm looking for something specific. Tabelog is good. Keep in mind it doesn't have the kind of vote inflation you might be used to so like a 3/5 is a strong rating.

I agree, Tabelog is the way to go. For Tokyo stuff: https://www.tokyotabletrip.com/en. For Fukuoka stuff: Quitters (http://quitters.jp/) rules. The site plays well with google translate and the authors are hilarious http://quitters.jp/2018/10/18/post-14190/.

canoshiz posted:

Got a trip to Japan planned in December. How do I like, find good places to eat there?

Very jealous! If you can manage it, try and see if you can find an Omakase Tempura restaurant. I have never found one in the US because there's too many rules/regulations about oil frying on the counter directly across from patrons.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

canoshiz posted:

While we're on the subject, anyone know a good spot to pick up some nice knives? I figure I've been looking at getting a sujihiki and maybe a deba and gyuto as well and I might as well take advantage of the USD:JPY conversion while I'm there.
the real heart of japanese knives is in sakai city, osaka. worth the trip if you’re over there.

Tokyo: if you’re going to be visiting Tsukiji Market, there are many knife shops adjacent to it in Tsukiji. Nenohi is extremely popular among chefs around the world and has a small cute store there.

I think the coolest place though is Kappabashi dougu street in Tokyo. Lots to see if you’re a cooking nerd.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

quote:

Tsukiji closed a few years ago. They moved the fish market to a new more modern spot in Toyosu.

closed for fish wholesalers yes, but they converted the outer market to a tourist attraction iirc?

Development fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 30, 2022

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hallo spacedog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T9QpjjXzyg
Interesting video about the oldest Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles.

charming little nook, but a friend went and the lady literally pulled out a frozen day-lee foods sukiyaki mix out of the freezer :negative:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

been doing some home konro grilling! I wish we had room for a bigger grill but it is what it is. really need to buy some teppo skewers though...

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Folks, I am based in the UK and have been unable to find Japanese short grain rice for ages. I'm talking about the bog standard rice that I am used to having with anything Japanese, which has lovely short grains and a delicate flavour. I normally get stuff from Wing Yip which does have Asian foods besides Chinese, but I have not seen any such rice there. Is there a place I can order it online? What should I be looking for? Since I think "Japanese rice" is a bit too vague.

Have you tried looking for koshihikari rice? just googling for "koshihikari UK" gave a ton of online shops.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Japanese food thread, please advise. I've got a batch of Japanese curry that's watery AF, but can't take any more reducing or the flavors will just be too overwhelming.

Curry being yoshoku, it should just be fine to throw some unsalted butter and flour into another pan and make up some non-curry roux to thicken, right? Or should I look at a different thickener instead?

can you try making a potato starch slurry with cold water and adding a bit at a time to thicken it?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

on a recent trip to LA I got to try a lot of great cooking with spring ingredients.

this rice had salted cherry blossom tsukemono (these darn pickles were SO good)

kanto style sakura mochi with cherry blossom scented bean paste

roasted bamboo

Development
Jun 2, 2016

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Robinson's Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook.

second this. also don't sleep on The Japanese Grill by Ono and Salat as well!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

sushi kuiineeee

fish in pic: kinmedai, shima-aji, miyabi tai

nigiri: bluefin tuna, miyabi tai, shima-aji

kinmedai was cooked on a konro and devoured immediately, no pics

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hallo spacedog posted:

gently caress that looks amazing

thank you!!!

also if anyone's interested in New Cookbooks, Nancy Hachisu has a new book (Japan: The Vegetarian Cookbook), and Sylvan Mishima Brackett (chef of Izakaya Rintaro in SF) has a book coming out soon (pre-order a signed copy here). If you're in the Bay Area, I highly recommend checking out Rintaro, especially on their Monday Kappo nights.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

recent ingredient dump:

one of the high end kaiseki restaurants in the bay area always has amazing kombu and they let me in on their supplier, Okui Kaiseido. They sell to consumers in the US here: https://www.okuikombu.com/shop-our-kombu/

fresh spring bamboo shoots, truly a delicacy. I haven't ever seen them fresh at any of the asian markets like this before. buy in the US here: https://penrynorchardspecialties.com/products/bamboo-shoots

Development
Jun 2, 2016

That Old Ganon posted:

Which kind of sake should I use for cooking? I also wouldn't mind being able to take a sippy, either.

we use momokawa diamond junmai ginjo. It's perfect for cooking but there's tastier things for sure...

Development
Jun 2, 2016

real talk I can’t stop grilling 7-mi chicken wings. from the ono and salat grilling book. it’s the best.

2tbsp 7-mi, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup sesame oil, 1-2 tsp salt. mix well. marinade them wings for a few hours and then grill baby grill!!! do reserve some marinade for basting while grilling.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

That Old Ganon posted:

What kind of charcoal do you use for your grill?

I picked up binchotan and have yet to successfully ignite it; afterwards I learned poo poo takes like 30 minutes to get going and another 30 to be at cooking temp.

kishu white binchotan from korin! Yes, it is hard to light. We actually use our pellet grill to do it (instead of a chimney cuz we don’t have one), and put the binchotan lighter pan right on top of the flame. once they’re a nice red, we throw them into the konro and use a small small sized vornado to keep it going. the vornado is a game changer to help getting to temp and easier to manage than just a hand fan. ryan at Needle in LA does this trick and we haven’t looked back.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Annath posted:

Yo, toss me a link to to your grill and charcoal if you can. I need more outdoor cooking stuff to keep in my parents' garage because I live in a 3rd floor apartment :v:

sure, all the things you need can be had here: https://www.korin.com/grillware/konros-basket-grills-nets-and-bases

I got the small grill, a base, an extra grill net, a lighter pan and the binchotan from that page.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

kirtar posted:

Any recommendations on online places (US based) to order ingredients outside of just getting pantry staples from amazon? Right now I'm just limited to whatever Kroger and Albertson have and beyond that I'd have to drive to SLC (3 hours).

The Rice Factory NY
Toiro LA
The Japanese Pantry
Goldmine Natural Foods

e: for fish and want it shipped to you: yama seafood (NY)

I got to meet Nancy Hachisu on her Japan - The Vegetarian cookbook tour and she rules hard. Like a Japanese grandmother stuck in a white lady's body. Lots of energy with some spiciness.

I can't recommend her beautiful book enough. Some of the recipes do need some effort to source (can be found at the sources above), but are well worth it.

kaki no shira-ae (persimmon and apple shira-ae)

moyashi to daikon no karashi-ae (mustard-flavoured bean sprouts and daikon)

kyuuri no shouga-zu (cucumber in ginger vinegar)

serori no shio kinpira (celery kinpira with salt)

Development fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 30, 2023

Development
Jun 2, 2016

is this even miso soup anymore

Development
Jun 2, 2016

thanksgiving: fish, it's what's for dinner.

new zealand madai:

ora king salmon:

hokkaido U10 scallops:

very lorge, relative to blocks

I had to actually split it in half; one scallop = 2 nigiri

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's not a scallop, it's a chicken breast.

chicken breast nigiri :dogbutton:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

buy her a pressure cooker, nice deep ramen bowls, a nice fine strainer like a chinois

Development
Jun 2, 2016

RFC posted:

I made takoyaki in my takoyaki griddle, it was awesome.

pics or it didn’t happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

been cooking from Rintaro's cookbook (a beautiful book, must buy).

oden:

beef curry rice

hanetsuki gyoza