Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

electricmonk500 posted:

I'll also go on record saying that I love nattō and loved it from the first time I tried it, and don't really see why it is widely reviled as a disgusting food (although you'll probably want to stick to eating it mixed in a bowl of rice with other Japanese toppings/condiments, rather than haphazardly throwing it into random recipes). You also always hear that it has a terrible ammonia-like smell, but I've only ever been able to detect any of this scent after practically sticking my nose into it. I feel like that for anyone that has a strong affinity for miso and/or other fermented soybean products, there is a decent chance you'll like nattō as well.

I love it too, and have never been able to figure out why people don't enjoy it. Maybe it's a texture thing for some people.

But then I also like putting miso on my toast when I run out of vegemite, so maybe I have a thing for soybeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So tell me how you grill the fish.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So you stick the fish under the broiler, basically.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I like the curry a lot (and really love curry katsu but have never got around to making it at home). We just had it last week, even.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

EVG posted:

Just checking to see if this is legit or a troll. Because it sounds kinda delicious, and kinda trashy at the same time.

The instant roux blocks are *the* taste of navy curry. Sure, it's not like a super traditional 200 year old recipe or anything, but it IS traditional while still sort of trashy. Kind of how Heinz Beans are *the* beans you want with a full English breakfast.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Forcyte posted:

I bought this one recently after reading a review of it somewhere.

Japanese Farm Food

I haven't gone through too many of the recipes yet myself, but they're pretty simple in general, just that some of the ingredients may be hard to find (though that's probably true for anyone not living near an asian market). I'm recommending it because it's more than just a cookbook; the author is basically writing about a lifestyle that includes some nice recipes, so it's actually a pretty interesting read.

If you're interested, Amazon currently has a promotion going on that's offering 25% off any physical book purchase with the following promo code: BOOKDEAL25.

I have ordered this book! It is a very nice book! Thanks for the coupon!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

taichara posted:

Fair warning: I also have that book and while the recipes are nice, the writer is ... not so nice. Kind of self-righteous and gaggy at times about her "simple farm life" while she insists on spending on organic local only for everything, not just food, and tosses money away at things like hoarding antique containers bought from markets. If you're any way on a budget, she can be annoying.

I grow most of my own vegetables and use mostly antique containers so it must be right up my alley!

This is a thing most farm people do because we tend to have lots of old stuff hanging around, and we also, you know, grow stuff.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dried red chiles in the oil if you're using oil is also effective and good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah I love natto. But maybe it's not for everyone.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Uh, chicken in a modern American industrial plant isn't exactly hygienic.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What's a good recipe for the sauce that you find on top of katsudon? I know it's worcestershire + mirin + other things but I'm a bit lost.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cooking isn't a "add these inputs, expect these outputs" kind of thing. You just get a technique figured out and then play with stuff until you find the food you like. Ramen is especially so in this way.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Use white rice. Brown rice doesn't release enough starch to stick properly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Myself and the CDC would respectfully disagree citing increased risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.

You don't understand the CDC. Nor do you understand msg. Go drink soy sauce and live happy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You don't know me. You know what, do whatever. Sorry for interrupting.

I don't know you, but I know you don't understand msg!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I think Kikkoman is saltier too, Grand Fromage. Yamasa seems a lot less salty.

But yeah six tablespoons seems like rather a lot. Scaling back and maybe substituting some dashi as GF suggested would help.

Yamasa in the litre bottle is what I use. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Buy Calrose.