Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

it's weird because it revolves solely around steam.

when steam first took off everyone hated it. it was lovely. customer support was lovely. it was a big turd. but valve polished it and things began to smooth out. because valve had good games there already, it became a good foundation for other developers to sell games there too.

people then discussed that because the games were digital and behind drm that if steam failed then they wouldnt be able to play their games anymore. Valve ducked and weaved around these forum posts and mostly hid them or ignored them.

everyone forgot.

now Steam is arguably the biggest online game retailer. other companies have tried, but steam just has a strangle hold. Valve appears to be doing everything right. the community loves them, Steam has a good selection, and everyone is there already. But its a near monopoly. and everyhting about Steam is something gamers have professed that they do not like.

here's a list of things gamers do not like but still let Steam do:

- drm
- valve has sole power in being able to let you play your games
- you are not buying a game but "paying for the opportunity to play one"
- games being released before they are done (early release, beta poo poo, whatever)
- micro transactions
- more poo poo i can't think of right now

so why are we putting up with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Team Fortress 2 hats, OP.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

even when you bought a physical game your getting a license to use, so nothing really changed there

yeah but my i can still pop in my 20 year old copy of planescape and play

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

that doesn't really have anything to do with the licensing thing

besides you probably need dosbox for that game since win95 wasn't around 20 years ago

the point is that black isle cant do anything to stop me from playing that game. valve can just turn off your account willy nilly

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zen death robot posted:

that doesn't really have anything to do with the licensing thing

besides you probably need dosbox for that game since win95 wasn't around 20 years ago

Buy it from GOG which is DRM free and can get it running on Windows 7 and 8.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I remember when DOOM 3 came out on steam and it was a big deal because before then like valve and id were at war

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

LaTex Fetish posted:

the point is that black isle cant do anything to stop me from playing that game. valve can just turn off your account willy nilly

Your game files are installed locally. You can play them without steam 99% of the time.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I'm gonna be straight about Steam here and say that they've been pretty good about games that fall into legal limbo. If poo poo gets wierd about the legal status of a game, they've never taken away the rights from players to play them. I've only seen games taken off the store or, more rarely, full refunds.

The stream DRM had been pretty fair and way better than other DRM solutions; I can barely tell that it's there at all. I can mod to hell and back and the DRM has never flipped on me. I've never had DRM issues while installing my games on other pcs, and the account gimmick that makes the DRM scheme possible is the same gimmick that lets me install my games/saves on other pcs effortlessly.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The only real complaints I got is the bad customer service, the offline mode being sorta mediocre, their store main page being completely poo poo and not curated, and the inability to run enhanced stream straight into stream itself.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

lol what customer service

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

Yeah they're totally gonna turn off accounts "willy-nilly" because they want to piss off customers and not make money since that's a good business plan

stop intentionally missing the point. I also assume you've never had your account turned off and had to deal with their customer service

edit: let me put it this way: i've never had my entire game collection go unavailable for weeks because best buy made a banking error after I bought a game

LaTex Fetish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 17, 2014

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

LaTex Fetish posted:

stop intentionally missing the point. I also assume you've never had your account turned off and had to deal with their customer service

edit: let me put it this way: i've never had my entire game collection go unavailable for weeks because best buy made a banking error after I bought a game

I've heard whispers of this happening occasionally. That's really gotta suck and I hope this gets solved because it's the worst case scenario of their scheme.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LaTex Fetish posted:

you can also torrent pretty much any game from anywhere so that entire thing is moot as gently caress. really what people pay for is steam making access to their games effortless and the organization of all of it super easy. your cds are gonna go corrupt and unreadable eventually even if you store them in a dustless jewel-case, exactly like your floppies before them did. so again, nothing's really changed there either, since the whims of time can turn off access to your cds willy-nilly

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i think zen death robot is a good example of the 'cure of gaming' side of things. steam does do a lot of things well. it has great games. cheap games. ability to play with friends very easily. fun screenshots and a generally cool community. this harbors insane positivism among the community which is warranted and OK.

but this creates an attitude that turns a blind eye to anything negative which effectively creates the 'cancer of gaming' side of things.

Coolguye posted:

you can also torrent pretty much any game from anywhere so that entire thing is moot as gently caress.

c'mon mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

there's no perfect anything so who cares

i was just trying to have a discussion but i will close this thread since everyone got butthurt

• Locked thread