Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Quake 2 is best imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Cyra posted:

Quake 2 is best imo

no

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Curious as to why people dislike it. It had good gameplay, cool secrets, lots of gibs and a bitching soundtrack. Is it cus it ditched the first game's aesthetic?

Also quake 4 shotgun owns. Enemies just go when you hit em with that thing

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I remember installing a voodoo2 and quake 2 going from brown and grey to smeared red and orange.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Cyra posted:

Curious as to why people dislike it. It had good gameplay, cool secrets, lots of gibs and a bitching soundtrack. Is it cus it ditched the first game's aesthetic?

Also quake 4 shotgun owns. Enemies just go when you hit em with that thing

it was a lot slower than quake 1 and added an overpowered railgun that made duels a spawn railing competition

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I never played Quake 2 multiplayer since it was way before my time (I didn't play any quake until QL in 2011 or so) but I like how the weapons and armors and stuff work, from watching tastyspleen KOTHs of it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think Warsow uses a similar items system and it's probably faster though... To bad no one plays it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Did anyone watch the finals. Tim Willits is like the worst person I can imagine as a representative of a company. He's such an out of touch piece of poo poo and hardly tries to hide how little he knows or cares about anything but money. I heard SyncError say, "Yeah yeah" when Tim was harrassing him to get through the award ceremonies as fast as possible and being able to hear him bark out commands away from the mic made the whole thing real awkward lmao.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

id is dead and I think only 15 people played any form of quake in the byoc.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

id is dead and I think only 15 people played any form of quake in the byoc.

:sigh:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Wormskull posted:

I think Warsow uses a similar items system and it's probably faster though... To bad no one plays it.

Warsow is just an inferior version of CPMA, which is an old-rear end quake 3 mod that makes it play more like a mixture of quake 2 and quakeworld.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wait a second did some idiot really come into this thread to talk about a single player mode in an FPS. Give me a God drat break.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
anyone remember Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory?

that game was pretty amazing

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mash posted:

it was

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Mash posted:

trufax: that was my first multiplayer FPS I ever played and I still think it was the best one I ever played to this day. (TF2's okay I guess though.)

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I had a really cool highschool teacher who organized gaming nights during which we played 12v12 Wolfenstein Enemy Territory on the school computers.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i played quake 2 briefly but quake 3 arena was my first time with a quake game for real and it was just people jummp padding on platforms in a void raining rockets and rail guns down on everyone and it was like this perfect platonic ideal of multiplayer fps.

but a quakecon in the year 2014 is a loving joke.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
you know, I've never been there but over the years it feels like I've really gotten to know this hotel.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
just an fyi, but all three quakes are loving ace. quake 1 with the darkplaces mod shows that even if you care about graphics/textures (which some dumb peeps do) quakes levels and gameplay is tight as gently caress.

quake 2 multiplayer was fast as heck and the single player campaign was fun as heck. plus threewave CTF which rules the roost.

quake 3 ditiching singleplayer was a great idea because what they shipped was super loving tourney cool. love the sheer velocity you can do in some of the levels and even now its far more impressive than any fps.

basically, old quake owns bones.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
q2 sp was a key grind in brownland as lovely as its color palette

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Protagonist posted:

q2 sp was a key grind in brownland as lovely as its color palette

back then i loved key grinds because of doom and with my new nvidia tnt2 ultra i was p. blown away by the graphics. i played it again recently and still had fun.

threewave ctf tho was where it was at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Video Viddy Games posted:

basically, old quake owns bones.

I always have q1 and q3 installed. Then again I've been playing these games since they came out.

• Locked thread