Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ff7 is just okay i guess. ff5 is really really good and they should copy it with every game. now they should copy x-2 with every game. i suddenly want to play x-2.

cid is the only really likable character in 7 but when i first played it i didn't get a lot of the stuff with cloud being hosed up or care much about the story so i guess it's better than my initial ok analysis

Mother 3's big saving point is the combat music mechanic and its unpredictability, i wasn't expecting the intro to go where it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It oozes style and humor and whatever, but the battles are simple (so simple the game lets you autowin them. Hooray?) and wandering most places out of town is boring as poo poo.

this sounds like every jrpg ever though.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
pro tip if you get bored wandering outside: become a boss at steering teleportation and ramming into walls right before it goes off

if you actually need teleportation beta in anything but a cramped area you a scrub

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Fromsoft: please change the bonfire teleportation in Dark Souls 2 into PSI teleport alpha. You can thank me later for making the game 300% gooder

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gimbal lock posted:

Fromsoft: please change the bonfire teleportation in Dark Souls 2 into PSI teleport alpha. You can thank me later for making the game 300% gooder

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Gimbal lock posted:

i have barely played DS2 and I will 100% it if that ever happens

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I am a man that likes to play my games slow. I like to dick about and look through every corner for cool goodies and fun secrets.

Is Earthbound a game that will fulfill my curiosity?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Hog Butcher posted:

ff7 is just okay i guess. ff5 is really really good and they should copy it with every game. now they should copy x-2 with every game. i suddenly want to play x-2.

cid is the only really likable character in 7 but when i first played it i didn't get a lot of the stuff with cloud being hosed up or care much about the story so i guess it's better than my initial ok analysis

Mother 3's big saving point is the combat music mechanic and its unpredictability, i wasn't expecting the intro to go where it did

Did you jes call Barret unlikeable? Get the gently caress outta here.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ragg posted:

Barret's cool tifa's cool cid's cool. Yuffie's not vincent's not cait sith's really loving not and aeris/aerith is creepy as hell.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Ragg posted:

i am completely neutral on barret. he is an okay guy, fit to take on a date on a ferris wheel, but nothing more.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

LaTex Fetish posted:

I am a man that likes to play my games slow. I like to dick about and look through every corner for cool goodies and fun secrets.

Yeah

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

thanks

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

there's not a lot of cool secrets in terms of items if you look around every nook and cranny, but there are fun jokes to be had, if you talk to everybody

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Earthbound made me want to talk to every npc. how about that?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Earthbound is poo poo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mark Brouhard posted:

I have it burned into my brain since I was 15 that people who like FF7 believe its worth 150 bucks, are nasty and sweaty looking as gently caress, and get no pussy. I think I'm good tia.

Those people sound way cooler than you

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

mabels big day posted:

Those people sound way cooler than you

I am, thank you, although I don't think I'd pay 150 bucks for a video game.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Gonna eat this here hamburger that I found in the garbage

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Some very minor spoilers from 1995 while deconstructing Earthbound's themes.
Don't read this poo poo, OP.

Earthbound seems like a cute rpg with a child's story, but it's actually about kid's dark fall into the world of drugs. It's Fear and Loathing in Eagleland, presented by Nintendo.

Ness starts off trying some poo poo, late at night, in the woods with a couple of friends. Everybody's pretty nervous and monsters are starting to hound them. He's invited by a talking bee from the future to travel the world and experience new kinds of trips. Before long he's hanging out at the arcade with street toughs and loving around with Johnny and his smoke-puffing machine in the bushes. Soon after, he's discovered by the popo while tripping fiercely in the local area's hobo shack and known drug hotspot. He fights off the police with a baseball bat and runs away, kickstarting the real journey.

From thereon, all sorts of crazy poo poo happens. Magic butterflies making him relax. A freakout in a department store with inanimate objects coming to life and attacking him. Magic cake on the beach that gives him visions. He spends time with a spiritual guru in the desert with a million monkeys. Getting mad paid by known gangsters with game-acknowledged dirty money. I won't even go into the kinds of crazy that happens in the back of a crummy bar. Glowing walls that write down Ness' thoughts as he thinks them, or are they? Even the presentation is indicative of tripping balls, especially the fight screen.

A third of the way thru his journey, Ness looks like he's getting clean. He literally fights the aspect of nausea, cleans the filth away in a hot spring and drinks some coffee. The game even acknowledges, at this point, that this is important. Much later in the game, it gets so bad that his old demons come back to haunt him: as he gets further lost in the Deep Darkness from the tenuous connection that he had left with the rest of humanity, the avatar of nausea comes back to haunt him stronger than ever. Far in the game, he's so far detached from the rest of the world that he's walking lost lands found deep in a hole, in a cave, in the Deep Darkness. There, he eventually goes on a spiritual journey in his own minds where he attempts to fight his demons. In his spiral of self-destruction, at the very end of the game, Ness goes back in the past and (again, literally) tries to destroy himself while he's still in his mother's womb. Hopefully he gets his wish that he had never been born at all.

That's a whole lot of hosed up symbolism for a SNES RPG, man.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the bike represents white guilt.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Ragg posted:

I am, thank you, although I don't think I'd pay 150 bucks for a video game.

i paid 150 for panzer dragoon saga and i loving regret it to this day

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

matrix ripoff posted:

haha

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

earthbound is unplayable without the nintendo power scratch and sniff stickers that go with it.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
earthbound is a good game but loving nerds ruin it by endlessly gushing about it and writing fifty page threads about how nintendo REALLY OUGHTA LOCALIZE AND RELEASE MOTHER 3 IT WOULD SELL BILLIONS

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
I've been trying to pinpoint why I love earthbound so much and I think it's because it does surrealism better then most other things across all forms of modern media. Or at least it does it in a way that tickles my particular fancy.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Great Joe posted:

Earthbound is poo poo.

dont troll

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Earthbound is a rare breed of RPG, specifically one set in a modern era. There aren't many games that do that; all I can think of are Earthbound, The World Ends with You, and the Vampire: the Masquerade games. I'm sure there's a couple more but RPG developers tend to stick with the same elf and European forest motif that's been shambling around since Tolkien wrote The Hobbit in the 1930s.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

matrix ripoff posted:

earthbound is a good game but loving nerds ruin it by endlessly gushing about it and writing fifty page threads about how nintendo REALLY OUGHTA LOCALIZE AND RELEASE MOTHER 3 IT WOULD SELL BILLIONS

I don't get how that ruins the actual game tbh. It's not like a situation where the actual game is just overrated.

Mother 3 was one of the few translated games I played that was totally worth the wait and hype surrounding it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Nalk posted:

I've been trying to pinpoint why I love earthbound so much and I think it's because it does surrealism better then most other things across all forms of modern media. Or at least it does it in a way that tickles my particular fancy.

play space funeral

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

I don't get how that ruins the actual game tbh. It's not like a situation where the actual game is just overrated.

Mother 3 was one of the few translated games I played that was totally worth the wait and hype surrounding it.

earthbound is indeed overrated, tho mother 3 is not

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Earthbound is the only JRPG I can stomach playing these days. That's how good it is.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

matrix ripoff posted:

if that ruins it for you im sorry.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Starhawk64 posted:

Earthbound is the only JRPG I can stomach playing these days. That's how good it is.

True word life

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!

Hog Butcher posted:

play space funeral

holy poo poo this is a treat

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

matrix ripoff posted:

Panzer Dragoon owns and holy gently caress i hope my friend didn't sell his copy. dose Ebay prices :eyepop:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Nalk posted:

holy poo poo this is a treat

its actual artistic message is legit as gently caress too, i was expecting wacky wacky wacky

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Great Joe posted:

Earthbound is poo poo.

this but seriously

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
earthbound > mother 3

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

this but seriously

I was being serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
probably. FF7 was an overrated lovely animu game with a convoluted, bad story that gets gushing praise because a ton of people were 8 years old and it was their first RPG.

earthbound is just charming.

• Locked thread