Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Earthbound was better than Mother 3 for me. It ain't a popular opinion. You get a lot of hate from angry nerds.

As for your question OP, if you didn't like FF7 you probably won't like Earthbound because it sounds like you don't like good games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Fromsoft: please change the bonfire teleportation in Dark Souls 2 into PSI teleport alpha. You can thank me later for making the game 300% gooder

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Gonna eat this here hamburger that I found in the garbage

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Some very minor spoilers from 1995 while deconstructing Earthbound's themes.
Don't read this poo poo, OP.

Earthbound seems like a cute rpg with a child's story, but it's actually about kid's dark fall into the world of drugs. It's Fear and Loathing in Eagleland, presented by Nintendo.

Ness starts off trying some poo poo, late at night, in the woods with a couple of friends. Everybody's pretty nervous and monsters are starting to hound them. He's invited by a talking bee from the future to travel the world and experience new kinds of trips. Before long he's hanging out at the arcade with street toughs and loving around with Johnny and his smoke-puffing machine in the bushes. Soon after, he's discovered by the popo while tripping fiercely in the local area's hobo shack and known drug hotspot. He fights off the police with a baseball bat and runs away, kickstarting the real journey.

From thereon, all sorts of crazy poo poo happens. Magic butterflies making him relax. A freakout in a department store with inanimate objects coming to life and attacking him. Magic cake on the beach that gives him visions. He spends time with a spiritual guru in the desert with a million monkeys. Getting mad paid by known gangsters with game-acknowledged dirty money. I won't even go into the kinds of crazy that happens in the back of a crummy bar. Glowing walls that write down Ness' thoughts as he thinks them, or are they? Even the presentation is indicative of tripping balls, especially the fight screen.

A third of the way thru his journey, Ness looks like he's getting clean. He literally fights the aspect of nausea, cleans the filth away in a hot spring and drinks some coffee. The game even acknowledges, at this point, that this is important. Much later in the game, it gets so bad that his old demons come back to haunt him: as he gets further lost in the Deep Darkness from the tenuous connection that he had left with the rest of humanity, the avatar of nausea comes back to haunt him stronger than ever. Far in the game, he's so far detached from the rest of the world that he's walking lost lands found deep in a hole, in a cave, in the Deep Darkness. There, he eventually goes on a spiritual journey in his own minds where he attempts to fight his demons. In his spiral of self-destruction, at the very end of the game, Ness goes back in the past and (again, literally) tries to destroy himself while he's still in his mother's womb. Hopefully he gets his wish that he had never been born at all.

That's a whole lot of hosed up symbolism for a SNES RPG, man.

• Locked thread