Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not that nobody knows or cares about Bethesda's bugs (as was mentioned, PS3 in particular has always been very bad and nigh unplayable for Fallout/TES). It's that nobody talks about them anymore. People do, however, bring up New Vegas all the time. You bring up a game with bugs and people will bring up that it has bugs.

The fact that this is still happening is darkly hilarious, because even without mods the final version of New Vegas is less buggy than Fallout 3. And with the right mods (which you would also need to fix the same problems in Fallout 3) there's hardly any non-cosmetic bugs left (which probably aren't going anywhere because Creation Engine).

But no, the Internet has to do this "never forgive, never forget, never change your mind or you're every emasculating slur in the dictionary and a few someone on 4chan made up on the spot" poo poo.

Mr E posted:

To be fair I don't think any Bethesda-Gamebryo/Skyrim engine game works well on PS3.

This. The Creation Engine (from Oblivion on) was made for PCs first and consoles as an afterthought and it shows.

Obsidian also has a history of being hideously rushed and abused by their publishers and the one time they weren't (Square Enix with Dungeon Siege 3) it was actually pretty bug-free on release.

Okay, one and a half because I guess Ubisoft sort of stayed their hand, because Obsidian proved they can actually get money without publishers' help for that one thing where goons paid $150 to see them drunk on camera and also maybe they get an Icewind-Dale-alike in a year or so.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Manatee Cannon posted:

You have to mention it has bugs to recommend mods to fix the bugs. :v:

"Hello World" has bugs. Even a program that just closes itself has bugs.

There's a difference between that and the 'this game will corrupt your save files in other games and your computer will burn down your dog' you get when you take the outside Internet's view of New Vegas at face value.

Also people care enough about New Vegas to fix the bugs. The same fixes sort of get shoehorned into 3, and not always with a proper conversion for it. Evaluation of the games' staying power with respect to each other is left as an exercise for the reader.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I found out about this not long ago when I noticed that some of the dumb trading cards (like Knock-knock) actually have neat backgrounds: http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?showcase

That site has all the images which you can download at 1920x1080.

Can I nominate this for the OP?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Tuesdays at 4 PM Pacific Whatever-the-hell Time are the Steam Maintenance Window.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I'm probably biased, but yes.

Note that for an extra eight bucks you get 2 and 3 (with everything) as well.

Go watch Edna Mode's LP of 1, grab Gentlemen of the Row (for 2) and Gentlemen of Steelport (for 3), and do a grand tour.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

PrinceRandom posted:

I guess I reached my max sales? I got a red text saying I can't sell more than 200 things in a calender year unless i put in my tax info.

Welcome to tax law. More details here.

Technically any amount of money is taxable unless your gross income's under minimum taxable income (which is jurisdiction-dependent and a question for your tax attorney) - they just don't actually notify anyone until you cross US$20,000 - and they probably already have far better ways of convincingly posing as you than having your Social Security number on their clearinghouse's files would give them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Weekend trials will temporarily inflate your game count.

Sometimes owners of a game get a new version (see Company of Heroes/Arkham/other GameSpy and GFWL refugees) added to their library automatically; since the old versions aren't removed this will permanently inflate your game count.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

LibbyM posted:

Is there a program like better ds3 that doesn't require an installation of ds3 to get the drivers? I want to get a new computer ready to use my ps3 controllers, and would rather do it without installing ds3 if possible.

You probably want Scarlet.Crush's DualShock 3 XInput Wrapper.

Note that, as written, your post indicts all DualShock 3 drivers, when it's mostly just MotionInJoy (and BetterDS3 for depending on it) that's compromised.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BetterDS3 still requires MotionInJoy to exist on your system.

I don't know about you, but that's not a gamble I feel like making.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What should the name of the new Windows be? It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9. Windows One? But unfortunately, Windows 1 has been done. That new Windows is Windows 10.

That's from their media briefing

Windows 2015.

If anyone's still writing code that keys to Windows 20* because of Windows 2000 sever their Visual Studio licenses. It ain't gonna make the Store any better but you can pretty much just say that's why and placebo your way to looking slightly less garbage in the wasteland that is app stores today.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Rookersh posted:

Obsidian pissed off LucasArts so hard they demanded Obsidian's writing be purged from their precious canon.

Dear Disney: Ya done good.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A thought occurred to me about KotOR2.

How much of retconning it in the shittiest way possible was LucasArts being exceptionally regressive and how much of it was Bioware being exceptionally regressive, because :yikes:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Because opinions change over time, and not everyone has like five hundred games off of bundles alone.

Now an "ehhhh :effort:" category and a separate "Why the gently caress did I pay dollars for this" category make some sense.

I usually just hide stuff if it's third-party DRM or if a future version of the game (including discrete GOTYs) categorically outclasses it. EDIT: Oh yeah and dedicated server apps.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 12, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition STILL doesn't support Steam cloud saving? What is with that anyway?

I wouldn't be surprised if Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition still saved to its install point in SteamApps.

Yes, there are games that still do this after Windows XP has been superseded for eight years and OS X and Linux have never been cool with it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Yeah, don't make an unfounded prescriptivist claim or anything, that would be silly.

CJacobs posted:

I agree! But also, don't put video games on a solid state drive.

MMOs, sandboxes and rear end in a top hat simulators are actually decent fits for SSDs. They actually benefit from SSDs because background streaming. Not much else does loading outside loading screens, so SSDs aren't anywhere near as useful, but if you stay over 20% free space and are willing to juggle then why not.

The merits of those genres is another question.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 17, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Scarlet.Crush XInput Wrapper?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Breetai posted:

So Saint's Row IV is on mega-cheap steam sale and I'm looking to pick it up.

What, if any of the DLCs are worth it? I'm not really interested in costumes or powerups, but are any of the other DLCs worth their while?

You spend five hours with that level of customization in that base game and you'll regret not getting the "with everything" edition. Not because it's in any way limited - it's actually got everything from Saints Row the Third and its expansions and DLC and then some - but you'll want to try out more, and getting it all now will save you the time and the money.

Also it's probably cheaper than getting just the Season Pass (including two scenarios - a cut content thing that is, and I quote the scenario itself, "too weird for Saints Row" and a Christmas thing that is surprisingly :3:feel-good:3: for Saints Row) later on.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Cor Geal posted:

Even more Insurgency: yoink

Got it, thanks man.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You installed Steam in the default location, didn't you.

The default location is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\.

Program Files puts up extraordinary effort to keep the user from modifying it. Even if they're an administrator. Especially if they're Administrator. Do not disable UAC to fix this, because instead it will cause user attempts on Program Files to automatically fail and also the ghosts of SH/SC will visit you like in the Christmas Carol but with more junk-booting.

A lot of the value in PC gaming is modding.

From this, we can conclude that installing Steam in its default location or anywhere else in Program Files is a Bad Move and that if you don't relocate Steam this is going to keep happening (add one of the stairs memes at your peril).

In the meantime I dunno use Steam Mover or something, but pencil in reinstalling Steam to C:\Games\Steam or something at some point (and also when you do back up your games and saves and tokens like you're reinstalling Windows or you might lose progress in games that don't use Steam Cloud and your internet connection will be mad at you).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 5, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Okay that is weird.

Could be a file lock of some sort. Some of those are really hard to clear without rebooting.

Disable Steam starting up with the system and reboot it; see if it works then.

Alternately it might not know where the game is; you might actually have to run it first to make registry stuff happen.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Kubrick posted:

A while ago I asked about a good game controller for Macs and PCs, and the consensus seems to be that Playstation 4's DS4 is the best. However, I don't have a Playstation 4 to charge it. I'm reading a lot of mixed messaged about alternative charging methods, can anyone confirm that an iphone charger would work?

Any Micro-USB 2.0 cable. You can get 'em with phones and cameras and on Monoprice for like three bucks. Also it works if you just plug it right into the computer, if you don't want to dick around with Bluetooth.

DirectInput (or Mac/Linux protocols) works straight up. Xinput requires this thing (proven legit so far).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Steam for Android posted:

Steam
Valve Corporation - March 1, 2012
Entertainment

Almost three.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You bought poo poo blind on the Internet; what do you expect?

Also yeah, that really isn't a bad lineup for five quid.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 18, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It turned out not to be, actually, but it has been for all intents and purposes abandoned like that one server rack at work that no one knows what it does (and it was never not garbage) and Microsoft's gone in an entirely different direction with Windows gaming (the iPad direction so far because man what, but sometimes they publish to Steam also because I guess MS management is like herding cats) and people just sort of read the writing on the wall.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Evil Mastermind posted:

Red Faction: Guerrilla is a bargain at $3, especially if you like breaking poo poo. You can wreck pretty much every structure in the game; in fact you're pretty much required to because that's how you get cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Brwna1U_Y0

Just make sure you opt into the beta to remove GFWL.

Steamworks is the default for RFG now; you're probably thinking of Dark Souls (1) with the beta thing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Yup.

It's probably not going to go away for a while (you can still switch to GFWL in the Betas menu) but they aren't offering keys for it anymore or anything.

Expect similar for Dark Souls around February 16.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Theta Zero posted:

I recently upgraded my internet.

They said it would be much faster but this is ridiculous.

Huh. Didn't know Google Fiber had a "plug right into the datacenter" tier.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Splinter Cell has Uplay, and Steam can only do so much to insulate someone from Uplay, which at least to me tips the balance in Dishonored's favor, even the way you rate them.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Sleeping Dogs supposedly has the same/similar hand to hand combat as Batman and it a pretty awesome game, or maybe Saint's Row IV if he likes to play superhero.

Sleeping Dogs is a dirty cop open world thingy with Batman-lite combat. It is totally worth a trip or three.

You can guess my opinion on Saints Row IV.

Synnr posted:

So I got a game as a gift on steam and noticed I was getting cards again (what even causes you to get those anyway?) and the little "sell me" button is greyed out. I don't think I'm quite reading it right, but as far as I'm aware I haven't had any disputes and I haven't disputed anything. Is purchasing a gift for someone not sufficient to count as a "purchase" ? Does it have to be in my own library?

1) Here's a list of fun things that can keep you from accessing the Marketplace.

2) Items that expire have recently been unable to sell/trade/even gift in their final hours.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 2, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CJacobs posted:

"Steam Thread: Lurk here for free game keys!"

This wouldn't happen if people posted their swag in the PGS thread for it and linked over.

Would you rather that people who are in closed-to-the-public threads but not here got keys without speaking up or some Internet randos?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Someone needs to submit "You Need an Art Director" to Greenlight.

I imagine it'd just be a macro app that pops up up when you're collating game art and asks you why the gently caress you aren't running this poo poo past someone who hasn't been immersed in it for all their waking hours for the past months.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Your periodic reminder that Kongregate is literally owned by Gamestop.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Light Gun Man posted:

What's the go-to software for dualshock 4 on PC nowadays? Is it something that is obnoxious to sync back and forth between PC and a Vita TV?

DS4Windows. There's several forks, but for meeting the standards of 1) maintained and 2) not weaseltastic, you can't beat the one at ds4windows.com.

And I wouldn't know about bluetooth memory, because I use mine only wired on my computer.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Get the Ultimate and do a grand tour - you'll appreciate the older ones that way. Saints Row 2 needs Gentlemen of the Row. Saints Row the Third doesn't NEED Gentlemen of Steelport but it's probably a good idea (also feel free to watch an LP if you don't feel up to it; it got super rushed and they didn't have the 'let's make it a love letter' feel like IV does). Saints Row IV is nearly flawless on its own but it might be worth a visit to saintsrowmods.com for... I dunno, wardrobe/garage stuff and a couple of texture fixes I guess.

Don't skip a bundle just because it has cheat DLC, because you can turn off a game's DLC piecemeal in its Steam properties (not a bad idea for the Unlockable one that just straight up shits the split decision rewards all over you as soon as you get a garage or if you're annoyed by the bloodsucker animation) and Volition deserve all of your money.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 16, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Nope. New Hades is an entirely different place from Steelport, and from previews it got a lot more love and attention. It's smaller and on the same engine, but then Gat Out of Hell is an expandalone and priced as such.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Davincie posted:

getting emails that someone is trying to log into my account from somewhere else, no harm as long as i got steam guard on right?

You only get the e-mail when someone already got through the password check.

Yes you need to change your password.

And any other places where you use the same password.

None of them to the same password.

KeePass2 is my homeboy.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Samurai Sanders posted:

Doesn't it need that MS gaming adapter, same as always?

The Xbox One controller uses Wi-Fi Direct, radically unlike the 360 wireless controller.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CJacobs posted:

If you want to make your own PC but don't like reading up on the compatibility of different parts just use Logical Increments. Then you can put the thing together like you're assembling a lego set and be and feel smarter for it. Don't buy a Steambox for no reason.

Logical Increments is garbage and the PC Building thread in SH/SC will tell you why.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CJacobs posted:

I've already read that part of the OP before and I don't disagree that going by their price points and good/bad system is entirely arbitrary. Their star rating system is just bad and sort of pointless. If you did deeper research you could certainly find parts that would combine better with other stuff on the list whether they'd be more expensive or not. But also, if you want to build a PC that will play every videogame you could ever want to play and you are like that guy that doesn't want to read up on part compatibility (which is why I posted the link, because on Logcial Increments you don't have to do that), Logical Increments will do you just fine and you won't have to buy a drat Steambox.

Or you could just use the Build Thread itself and not have to worry about whether anyone you suggested Logical Increments to got stuck with an AMD CPU or a Gigabyte motherboard or a Crucial SSD or whatever. Remember that either the person who bought such a build or whoever they paid off to build it is going to be stuck with the tech support, so your "doesn't want to read up on part compatibility" claim is recklessly ignorant at best.

I'm not saying that anyone should get a prebuilt Steambox either and I can't even understand how you'd draw that conclusion. I AM saying your advice to use Logical Increments if you're not up for doing your homework to build a computer is bad for the same reason Logical Increments itself is bad.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 6, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ghostlight posted:

Basically the good reason it's there is because the entire game was built around online play from the start so all of its the architecture, from monster spawns to loot to characters, is stored online as that gives Blizzard a lot of benefits like cheat protection through obfuscation and piracy protection, while organising and paying for a development team to pull all of that code out of their servers and localise it to clients does nothing but make hacking and pirating the game much much easier for the sole benefit of a few people who have sensitive faces.

There are also three console versions making that argument difficult to defend without the whole "desperately throwing up boogeymen" part. Activision might listen to it for the same reasons that make giving your money to Activision kind of a bad idea, I don't know.

The actual answer, of course, is that they've already got the existing userbase's money and that userbase is stuck with the game, and anyone still buying into D3PC at this point is Blizzard's bitch and everyone out to and somehow including space aliens at the edge of our observable universe and members of uncontacted primitive societies knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Orv posted:

Plenty of reasons to buy it actually, for instance Securom 2 doesn't do any of the horrifying poo poo that Securom did, it's just stupid. It's also a really good game.

General rules on DRM:

Is it still a thing where you can burn out the code or (even assuming best intentions on all sides - a tall order) someone can fatfinger your game-specific account into Hell, leaving you with no way to play the game you paid for even though everything looks good on Steam's end?

Is it still utterly redundant given that Steam has its own license management and multiplay models?

Is it still treating the publisher as the revenue source and the user as an enemy, unlike Steam where the user is the revenue source?

Any one of those is probably enough to write a DRM rider off. There's 3000 other games on Steam where I don't have to put up with this.

If you're wondering: On the off chance I play an MMO I'm probably doing it through the MMO's operator itself unless they're using Steam as the account manager.

EDIT: And this is even leaving out things like Origin, which has been a security goatse for three years and counting.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread